FORUMS: list search recent posts

Frozen

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Smith
Frozen
on Jan 24, 2014 at 11:13:45 pm

I know this forum isn't the audience for Frozen but I thought I would bring it up since it has already made over 300 million domestically which is more then The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug. Plus it is still bringing in the bucks.

Overall if you liked Tangled you will like this film, they both felt simular to me. The interesting thing about this film was the marketing. The only trailer I watched for it wasn't even in the movie:

The characters in the trailer aren't the main characters and you wouldn't even know that this film is about "Princess". However it worked.

If you do see it make sure you read the last text (legal text) on the credits, they where really funny.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
Re: Frozen
on Feb 10, 2014 at 7:18:37 pm

I think I experienced Frozen in the best way possible at the theaters; three months after it came out, on a Sunday night at 10 pm. In other words, there were no annoying kids there. In fact, there was nobody else there. I think I'm of the age (29) and appearance (slobbenly and with beard) that no one would understand why I was watching this children's film, so I'm glad no one was there to judge.

Also, despite the fact that it has earned an Academy Award nomination, is insanely popular, has made over $350 million, IN ADDITION to me seeing countless advertisements and trailers; going into this movie I had *no* idea what it was even about, other than it had a dopey looking snowman giggling like a freak. As far as I knew, this whole movie was about a snowman singing songs to a moose.

I don't think I've seen a Disney princess movie since Mulan (wait, does Brave count? I consider that Pixar), and Frozen pretty much does the bare minimum plot requirements to fulfill Disney princess storytelling. To be fair, it does a great job of being a 1990s Disney animated story, but with computer animated technology. A few times during the film, I tried to imagine the animation was hand drawn and in the style of Aladdin, and I was like "Oh yeah, this story could have been released in 1995." But, unlike any of those classic 90s Disney movies I used to watch on frequent repeat on VHS when I was a kid, Frozen was somewhat less inspiring. It wasn't super creative, I suppose.

The music wasn't bad, though, but it also wasn't "I Can't Wait To Be King", "Under the Sea", or "You Ain't Never Had a Friend Like Me." The songs felt very theater production-y. I'm not surprised that this is getting transformed into a Broadway show, because it felt like they wrote it with the clear intention of eventually turning it into a stage show. I don't really know who Kristin Chenoweth is, but I assume she'll have something to do with it.

And as for that snowman (voiced by Josh Gad, a guy everyone tells me is awesome, but I have yet to see evidence of this because I haven't seen The Book of Mormon), he actually turned out to be the best part of the movie. Yeah, I know he's the just token comic relief character, but he was legitimately funny. His over enthusiastic, self-aware humor sort of raised the film above the blandness a lot of the rest of the movie was sinking to. But damn, that snowman character design still looks stupid as hell.

I'd recommend seeing Frozen if you have an annoying kid who won't shut up about it. It should probably satisfy them for a couple of days. But don't buy them candy. The ticket is all they deserve for how annoying they're being about wanting to go. As for you, the adult; you should get a decent amount of entertainment out of it. It's not Disney canon, but it's certainly better than most Dreamworks films. I DON'T LIKE SHREK MOVIES.

7 out of 10

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Feb 10, 2014 at 8:16:05 pm

[Scott]
I DON'T LIKE SHREK MOVIES.

Amen to that.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Feb 11, 2014 at 12:54:11 am

First, it's not a princess story as much as a queen story -- maybe the first in the history of movies? Maybe not, but DEFINITELY the first time that the princess/queen makes the final gambit that this one does.

In any case, a big freaking deal in the Disney universe...more about which in a bit....

Second, I really really really did not want to go see it. Extended family outing, so no choice.

Third, I LOVED it.

[Scott Roberts] " I'm not surprised that this is getting transformed into a Broadway show, because it felt like they wrote it with the clear intention of eventually turning it into a stage show."

I was watching it and imagining being the conference room where a scene was getting pitched on a particular scene, and the reaction being, "Sounds good, but how would we possibly stage that? Write it again so we could afford to do it on Broadway. You also have to move it to right before intermission so we have time to reset the stage for Act III."

That said, I enjoyed the heck out of it.

Hey, and more power to them. I think this'll make a heck of a show. They'll make a mint from it, and deserve to.

DEFINITELY better than Lion King, which...here it comes, me not liking a classic...ready?... I DID NOT LIKE. Not the movie, and not the Broadway musical. Walked out of it after paying a medium-sized fortune for the tix.

I maybe have to go back to Beauty and the Beast, which I LOVED, to find a Disney movie musical this good. (Didn't see the play.) This isn't quite that good, but I'd rank them #1 and #2 respectively.

That's as movies. As musicals, the problem I had with this is that the show-stopping song, the most ear-catching hook with the most dramatic visuals, was at the end of Act 1! Not even intermission!

And it's a solo number! And it's about the joy of being alone! And the character is right. The best thing that has ever happened to her at that point in the movie is that she is absolutely alone, in a literal fortress of solitude.

As a musical theme, I also remember it being fairly isolated. I could be wrong, but I don't remember it having a musical hook that related to any other songs. Since every other song was a step down in energy and songwriting skill, they had no choice but to re-run it over the credits. Even though almost everybody lives happily ever after -- oops, spoiler alert -- the reprise of the showstopper is about....being alone.

That said, I just watched it again, and got chills. I wasn't planning on the pun, but I embrace it. I DID get chills. Killer, killer song. Oscar shoo-in, my favorite movie song in years.

Now, having said what I did about the (non-musical) theme of being alone, this is pretty freaking subversive. Before this, the only characters in movies that lived alone were villains or the Grinch. And unlike those, she's not skulking. She reiterates what she said in the song, that she's finally happy, and finally free in her self-sufficiency. Bold.

(There had in fact been some talk about having Elsa be evil, just because alone = evil comes so naturally. Blessings on them for this much more interesting choice.)

Also bold: a subplot involving TRADE AGREEMENTS, and NOT a spoiler alert: resolved, and you can guess by whom.

Also bold: making fun of princess movies! The trope of a princess falling in love with a dude at first sight is regularly mocked by multiple characters, both male and female. High-larious. I got a real kick out of that.

Bold-ish: a gay married couple with children. A truly minor character, established in "blink-and-miss-it" fashion, but also handled deftly and with humor. Very classy AND funny.

And yeah, you expect some relationship hijinks in a movie like this, especially with what looks like a triangle looming....but this one took some turns I've never seen in a movie before, animated or not.

++++++++++++++TOTALLY SPOILERY SECTION NOW++++++++++++++++

THE QUEEN DIDN'T HOOK UP WITH ANYBODY AT THE END. This is freaking huge.

What she DID do was single-handedly overthrow a trade treaty, and nobody even blinked. Of COURSE this is what queens do. They freaking RUN THE SHOW.

I also love that the key "love" dynamic in the movie wasn't between any girl and any fella, but between the two sisters, who were never at any point rivals.

Frozen also features one of the more realistic portrayals of a particular kind of child abuse I've ever seen in a movie. "It's for your own good" kind of stuff. I was really moved by that.

++++++++++++++++++END SPOILERATION++++++++++++

I did in fact get dragged to see this in an extended family setting that included a 16 year old boy, a 14 year old girl and a 9 year old girl. The 14 year old girl was giving the screen the most grief, for obvious reasons: BECAUSE SHE IS A 14 YEAR OLD GIRL. LOL "Not ANOTHER song," she'd say....and then after the song, she almost always said, "Wow, I really liked that song."

The 9 year old girl was kind of fatigued by the songs -- there were a LOT of them -- but she dug the overall vibe, and while she thought the snowman was adorable, I think she liked the reindeer better.

The 16 year old boy (I actually sat between him and the 14 year old girl): he liked it, plain and simple. He didn't swoon over it, but I never caught him rolling his eyes or mocking the songs, even when his sister did. He liked the story -- not just the rootin' tootin' action stuff, but overall -- and thought it looked good. But I think that an exceptionally smart 16 year old boy with a rapier wit who COULD have shredded the picture but didn't, and admitting to liking it -- that, my friends, is a win.

I really did have a great time with this. I've had a long run of disappointing movies, dang near the whole past year honestly, and this was one of the brightest spots.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Feb 11, 2014 at 4:08:17 pm

[Stephen]
I know this forum isn't the audience for Frozen

I guess I was wrong.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Feb 11, 2014 at 11:33:03 pm

[Tim Wilson] "DEFINITELY better than Lion King, which...here it comes, me not liking a classic...ready?... I DID NOT LIKE."

What's not to like? Cartoon Hamlet, beautiful hand-drawn animation, Jeremy Irons as a talking lion named Scar, catchy songs by Elton John? Though, I don't think I'd sit through the Broadway version of Lion King, either... Also, I was 10 when that movie came out, and I was kind of in the demographic.

[Tim Wilson] "Also bold: making fun of princess movies! The trope of a princess falling in love with a dude at first sight is regularly mocked by multiple characters, both male and female. High-larious. I got a real kick out of that."

I enjoyed that too. These kinds of movies can't NOT be self-aware or clever anymore, otherwise they'd get torn apart by the adults who have to take the kids to them. In contrast, you get a children's film like Escape From Planet Earth, which is completely void of value for the adults, and serves simply as dumb animated slapstick for little kids. No one is going to want to watch that movie a second time. That's why the snowman was kind of perfect for this movie, as he had many jokes that were comical mostly to adults, but it looked "cute" enough that kids would like him no matter what.

[Stephen Smith] "[Stephen]
I know this forum isn't the audience for Frozen

I guess I was wrong."

Hey, a really well-executed children's film can move me as much (OR MORE) than watching Judge Dredd blow up some guy's head with a machine gun. ;)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]