FORUMS: list search recent posts

N.A.B. Meeting - 2014

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Cohen
N.A.B. Meeting - 2014
on Jan 3, 2014 at 7:03:12 pm

Is there any compelling reason to attend?
In other words, will anyone from this forum be there?
Are there any Creative COW events?

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
Re: N.A.B. Meeting - 2014
on Jan 3, 2014 at 7:37:55 pm

I can speak to #3 officially: sorry, no COW events. Actually, I'm not sorry at all.

Well, maybe a little.

Actually, not at all.

Speaking strictly personally for #1: everyone needs to do it once. You can decide after that if you need to do it again.

re: #2, indubitably. Kylee can speak to it more directly than I can...since she's actually going and I'm not. In the meantime, dive deeply into her NAB 2013 diary. Fantastic reading that I should have pimped much more at the time. No reason to read anybody else's show coverage but hers...okay, and Zelin....

Return to posts index

Jeff Breuer
on Jan 3, 2014 at 9:15:51 pm

I should be there, although I'm never able to get things ironed out at work until usually about a week before the event. I always go if I can and I always love it. And I second Kylee's diary as a good read if you have not checked it out yet. The schmoozy media stuff looked fun.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jan 3, 2014 at 9:55:37 pm

I have been a couple of times. It is like being a kid in the candy store. It was a lot of fun. As for "Is there any compelling reason to attend?". I agree with Tim that you need to do it at least once, especially if you are running low on pens. However, a lot of the info at NAB is available online. I have learned some great stuff in some of the little booths that don't get a lot of attention.

All in all, if you are in the market for something and want to get some hands on time with the product NAB can be very helpful.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Kylee Peña
on Jan 5, 2014 at 4:13:34 am

I'm not sure I'm the absolute best person to get a testimonial from for NAB because I think I might have a "results not typical" disclaimer at the bottom of the screen if I were on an infomercial. Attending NAB pretty much changed my whole life and career, so obviously I encourage people to go and get the most out of it, which is usually not found in an exhibit booth. There is a tremendous value in meeting vendors face to face and developing a real relationship with them though. That's the kind of thing that definitely keeps on giving throughout the entire year. Plus, the smaller stuff you discover tends to get buried under the avalanche of Blackmagic and whatever else is hot that year, and it's that smaller stuff that truly makes a difference from your day to day.

But for me, it's really mostly about friends and networking and exposure, the after hours junk. That's the magic. A majority of my friends are people I met because we initially had one thing in common: a career in post production. They live all over the world. Once a year, I get to reconnect with them in person and meet even more people. Because of this, I'm not sure there's a place in the US where I could go and not have at least one person in my corner, helping me out. That's pretty valuable and kind of unheard of before social media, I think. The combination of social and in person makes for some pretty crazy results. I'm in frigging Georgia because of it.

But if you're stable in your career and you aren't really looking for networking or whatever, the people are still the best part. They're fun. They understand the world you live in. And if you're lucky, you'll find some that talk mostly about anything else. As ingrained as I am with the industry stuff all day, it is sort of a reset button for me.

That's my repeat compelling reason to go, which is probably beyond what you asked.

Also, I'm pretty sure I'll be there. Haven't confirmed. But hey, I wll totally hold a rogue unsponsored unofficial COW event. It involves the bar of your choosing and you buying me a drink there.

blog: kyleesportfolio.com/blog
twitter: @kyl33t
demo: kyleewall.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]