FORUMS: list search recent posts

Your Top Films of 2013?

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Roberts
Your Top Films of 2013?
on Dec 20, 2013 at 11:51:14 pm
Last Edited By Scott Roberts on Dec 20, 2013 at 11:53:46 pm

I saw American Hustle this afternoon, and it was very good (I'll try and write an actual review during my airplane ride to Florida tomorrow), and it got me to thinking about my top films of the year. I've seen a lot of movies in 2013, so I can't contain myself to a top ten, I'll up it to twenty! And then please share your top movies of the year, I'm always interested to hear what everyone else in our forum liked!

Here's my top 20 (* while noting that I haven't yet seen Inside Lleywn Davis, Her, or Wolf of Wall Street, all potential top 10 crackers)

20. The Spectacular Now
19. Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues
18. Gideon's Army
17. Hunger Games: Catching Fire
16. The Act of Killing
15. Monsters University
14. The Way, Way Back
13. A Band Called Death
12. Iron Man 3
11. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
10. Dallas Buyers Club
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
8. Side Effects
7. It's a Disaster
6. The Crash Reel
5. Gravity
4. American Hustle
3. This is the End
2. Blackfish
1. The World's End

I don't think I originally had expected The World's End to be pegged as my my number one, but I've now seen it three times, and it just hits all the right notes with me. It won me over on a bunch of levels.

And then just to be a negative jerk, here are my five worst films of the year. Feel free to share those, too!

Worst: Machete Kills
2nd Worst: The Secret Lives of Dorks
3rd Worst: R.I.P.D.
4th Worst: Would You Rather
5th Worst: First Comes Love

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Your Top Films of 2013?
on Dec 23, 2013 at 4:37:57 pm

RUSH should be in there, somewhere.

Just because it was so different from anything else this year, Gravity would be my number one. it worked for me dramatically and was a tour de force of film making.

I can't make a decent list because I haven't seen all of the ones on your list; I generally wait to see them on DVD or PPV unless they *truly* are "big screen experiences".

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Dec 23, 2013 at 7:32:16 pm

I still haven't seen a lot of films for 2013 and some still aren't out yet. I missed Fast 6 which I was disappointed about. It was only in the theater for what felt like three weeks, so many movies came out they had to make room for the newer films. And it still isn't in the Redbox yet?

Anyways, Gravity was the most enjoyable film going experience for me this year. It was nonstop intense. The 3D was amazing. They had super long shots that worked and it was a 10 on the things getting destroyed-o-meter.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Kylee Peña
on Dec 28, 2013 at 4:32:23 am

I haven't seen The Hobbit, Her, American Hustle, Wolf of Wall Street, Inside Llewyn Davis, The World's End, Dallas Buyers Club, The Place Beyond the Pines, The Spectacular Now, Twelve Years a Slave, and a couple other films I've meant to see. So my list sucks. But so far, Upstream Color remains my number one for the year. I really enjoyed This is the End. I have a hard time putting Gravity on a best of list when it was great only as a theater experience, but whatevs. Catching Fire is definitely in the top ten.

I have a lot to catch up on before awards season.

blog: kyleesportfolio.com/blog
twitter: @kyl33t
demo: kyleewall.com

Return to posts index

Jeff Breuer
on Jan 2, 2014 at 2:31:29 pm

I'm with Stephen in missing a lot of films this year and now I have a bunch of viewing to do because they hit you with so many good films at the end of the year. So without seeing American Hustle, Wolf of Wallstreet, Banks, Anchorman...pretty much anything that has been released in the past two weeks, it's tough to say. 2013 felt like a down year for good movies to me, but again, maybe it was just my limited viewing.

1. Gravity,
2. Hobbit and Smaugy
3. Hunger Games - Belly Full of Fire
4. About Time
5. Now You See Me
6. World War Z
7. 42
8. Monster Fraternity
9. We're the Millers
10.Oblivion

Honorable Mention: Star Trek III - The Wrath of Kahn II

I will also mention here that I think it's a bummer that Harrison Ford is being forgotten for Best Supporting performance. His work in 42 was terrific. Now to catch up on all of these movies.....!

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jan 2, 2014 at 7:02:08 pm

Here is my list:

47 RONIN
A MADEA CHRISTMAS
AFTER EARTH
GETAWAY
GROWN UPS 2
GRUDGE MATCH
INAPPROPRIATE COMEDY
MOVIE 43
PARANOIA
R.I.P.D.
RUNNER RUNNER
SCARY MOVIE 5
THE BIG WEDDING
THE HOST
THE LONE RANGER

Oh wait, that is the list for the Razzies

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 2, 2014 at 11:28:48 pm

You really had me scared there for a minute.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jan 3, 2014 at 4:30:10 pm

I guess to be fair I haven't seen any of those films so I can't actually say if they are good or not. I still don't think I'm going to see any of them.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]