FORUMS: list search recent posts

Christmas Movies

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Smith
Christmas Movies
on Dec 3, 2013 at 3:57:43 pm

I know we have compiled list of our favorite Christmas movies before. You might enjoy this list, I have only seen 26 of them. http://www.listchallengeapp.com/xmasmoviechallenge/?ref=share

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
Re: Christmas Movies
on Dec 3, 2013 at 4:47:49 pm

That's a great list! I'm at 28, but I think it might be fun to compare the ones we HAVEN'T seen. :-)

Return to posts index

Jeff Breuer
on Dec 3, 2013 at 8:52:29 pm

The ones I haven't seen but WANT to:
Bad Santa, The Holiday, Family Man, Meet Me in St. Louis, Aurthur Christmas, The Long Kiss Goodnight,

Movies that are NOT on the list but should be:
Mixed Nuts (saw this for the first time last year, will be one of my staples now), Four Christmases, Santa Clause, Rare Exports (gotta have something dark there)

Moviees I am surprised are on the list:
Earnest Saves Christmas. One of my favorites as a kid. Surprised it is so hard to find now.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Dec 3, 2013 at 11:34:07 pm

The Santa Clause is on there, #22.

Should also be there: The Ref, starring Denis Leary (in an actual acting role), Kevin Spacey and Judy Davis. It's largely just the three of them going head to head, just a few months before Spacey would be going head to head with Frank Whaley in Swimming With Sharks. (He had a 15-month run in 94-95 that also included The Usual Suspects and Se7en!!! Plus a couple of others, too.)

Meet Me in St. Louis is also one of the best Halloween movies ever. It covers a lot of ground. :-) Terrific picture, one of the greats. Judy Garland and "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" would be reason enough, but there are plenty of others.

The Long Kiss Goodnight is an all-time favorite of mine. Had it on LASER DISK. Sam Jackson at his foul-mouthed best, Geena Davis at her kickassing-est (if you haven't seen her kick ass, you're in for a treat), and a script by Shane Black, author of ANOTHER Christmas classic, Lethal Weapon.

(There's a 1080p version of this trailer, but it's missing the beginning.)

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Dec 3, 2013 at 11:56:57 pm

27 for me

Although Santa Clause 3 was poor, Santa Clause 2 was ok, featuring a pre-Lost Elizabeth Mitchell.

I grew up watching the late 70's Miracle on 34th St, but then there was the 1994 version with the girl who went on to play Matilda, Richard Attenborough as St. Nick, and Elizabeth Perkins and Dylan McDermott as classic mid-90's NY Yuppies.

I stumbled upon the movie over the weekend and actually got choked up near the end. The precocious little girl was very adorable, though absent from much of the movie. But Attenborough nailed the character.

But of course It's a Wonderful Life is the best.

Not listed are:

The Night they Saved Christmas
Santa Claus the Movie
Prancer
Emmet Otter's Jugband Christmas
The Christmas that Almost Wasn't
Santa Claus vs the Martians

Happy Life Day

Mike Cohen
The Star Wars Holiday Special

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Dec 4, 2013 at 3:13:35 pm

I'm at 26, but I hardly consider stuff like The Holiday and The Family Stone to be essential Christmas viewing, and most of the films you guys have mentioned as omissions are way better.

True story: While on winter break from college one year (probably 2005 or 2006), I opted to not watch any holiday movies, and instead tore through all of the Lord of the Rings Extended Edition special features. I regret nothing.

I just watched The Ref with Dennis Leary (as Tim mentioned) like 4 days ago on Showtime or something. I'd seen it before about 10 years ago, and I watched almost the entire thing again the other day. It's surprisingly entertaining.

[Jeff Breuer] "Earnest Saves Christmas. One of my favorites as a kid. Surprised it is so hard to find now."

It's not too hard to find! I own it. You can get it on Amazon for $6.40 right now! (or get it used for $2.77)

http://www.amazon.com/Ernest-Saves-Christmas-Jim-Varney/dp/B000068MBV/ref=s...

One awful movie I used to watch was Jack Frost 2: Revenge of the Mutant Killer Snowman (subtle title). The first one had Shannon Elizabeth in it! Remember her?

Also, yay! That's two obscure horror movie sequels mentioned by me in this forum this week! It's only a matter of time before I bring up Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Dec 4, 2013 at 5:01:32 pm

I bought a bunch of copies of Santa Claus vs the Martians on DVD for a dollar at the store years ago. I handed them out as gag gifts and ended up with one left over. It really is a funny movie and everyone in this forum who hasn't seen it should.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Dec 5, 2013 at 11:44:46 pm

Screen Junkies just released this relevant Christmas Movie supercut:

Return to posts index

Jeff Breuer
on Dec 6, 2013 at 5:05:41 pm

A local theater played Christmas Vacation and it was fun to watch that movie with a big crowd. As the movie was wrapping up I had this thought, "Why isn't Christmas Vacation mentioned in the Best Sequel Ever dialogue?" It's gotta be the second best #3 movie of a quad-rilogy anyways (behind "Last Crusade" of course).

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 18, 2013 at 2:57:11 am
Last Edited By Jeremy Garchow on Dec 18, 2013 at 3:44:57 am

[Jeff Breuer] "Bad Santa,"

Run. Don't walk.

It's non conventional and highly raucous.

It's my newest yearly Christmas movie viewing. It's not for everyone, but if you like dark comedies, you should see it at least once.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]