FORUMS: list search recent posts

Day of the Doctor

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kylee Peña
Day of the Doctor
on Nov 29, 2013 at 10:56:54 pm

I totally dug this. Completely successful as a Doctor Who story and as a Doctor Who event.

The zygone (or however you spell it) story was a little underdeveloped, but it didn't really bug me so much because it only served as a plot device to push the REAL story into motion and it was a class monster throwback.

So happy they didn't bring back Rose. AGAIN. Enough with Rose. Although this gives her a little more weight as a companion -- why was she so "special" all the time? Why'd the Doctor ever grab her and run away with her? Maybe because he knew her subconciously. The Bad Wolf Rose happened because the Doctor interacted with her as an interface before he met her, but ya know - time vortex, everywhere at once, timey-wimey. Who knows if that was intended or just a nice little thing, but I liked it.

Clara doesn't do it for me as a companion in the least, but I enjoyed her in this. She exemplifies the reason for a human companion and she wasn't irritating. Good job, Clara.

And Matt Smith and David Tennant being Doctors on screen at the same time? My heart grew ten sizes that day.

I liked it a lot. It was sufficiently big without being ridiculous (cough Davies cough) and set up the regeneration and new Doctor very nicely without all the melancholy and drama of the transition from Tennant.

And it almost beat Catching Fire the day it was in the theater? Guess other people dug it too.

blog: kyleesportfolio.com/blog
twitter: @kyl33t
demo: kyleewall.com

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
Re: Day of the Doctor
on Nov 30, 2013 at 8:19:01 am
Last Edited By Tim Wilson on Nov 30, 2013 at 8:21:10 am

[Kylee Wall] "And it almost beat Catching Fire the day it was in the theater? "

CF more than tripled, but of course on more screens. Going by PER SCREEN, though, the Doctor was IN: $7000-ish vs. $2200-ish. Of course, that was Monday. By Weds, Catching Fire's per screen was way ahead again, and over the weekend has been more like $40,000 screen.

The doctor definitely overperformed, but let's not oversell it.

Perhaps the only time in my life that I've ever uttered those last four words. I can't even bring myself to repeat them. LOL

[Kylee Wall] "Completely successful as a Doctor Who story and as a Doctor Who event."

Still just talking numbers, yes, completely. $10m worldwide, after 3.4 million people watched the first airing + encore on BBC America. Compared to 20 million people for The Walking Dead, which is the most popular show in America (you knew that, right?), that's pretty outstanding.

Also note: a fun look at its VFX, published a couple of days ago here at the COW.

Return to posts index

Kylee Peña
on Nov 30, 2013 at 5:32:42 pm

And I think I read about 10 million viewers in the UK...which is crazy to me considering the population is like 60 million.

[Tim Wilson] "you knew that, right?"

Yes, and that astounds me. I feel like when I stopped watching it, about 5 million people took my place. Maybe I should catch up?

NAAAHH.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Nov 30, 2013 at 7:44:37 pm

[Kylee Wall] "And I think I read about 10 million viewers in the UK...which is crazy to me considering the population is like 60 million."

In fact, a 37.4% share, which is crazy. (Share is the percentage of people who are watching something, rather than percentage of people in the whole country.)

Also crazy: this is only the 5th most-watched Dr Who episode!

For reference in the US, the biggest share ever was the finale of MASH, with a 77% share!!!

And yes, I knew that one off the top of my head.

But for a non-all-time finale, something like Sleepy Hollow is considered a hit with a share of 6 -- and its rating goes up 71% with DVR viewing taken into account, by far the biggest jump of any show on the air.

You don't really care about something unless you're keeping score. :-)

Hence my regular obsessions with grosses and audiences. Starting place for talking about pop culture in any kind of systematic way: understanding what's POPULAR. From THERE you move into how and why, and what insights they provide to culture at large. But without numbers, it's all just yapping. I prefer my yapping to be founded in something other than itself.

[Kylee Wall] "Maybe I should catch up?

NAAAHH."

I may someday start a thread on this, but I mostly stopped watching because the zombies were too disgusting, and we were spending way too much time on close-ups of them. In that sense, it was turning into a typical zombie thing, which I don't really care for. I like focusing on them more contextually -- somewhere even a little below the level of Macguffins.

Keeping up with episode recaps though (not entirely ready to leave the characters behind), it seemed like there was something going on. And in fact, the best season ever, by a long shot.

That said, there's a new development heading into the mid-season finale next week that's making me roll my eyes. Easy potential for it to run off the rails....but otherwise, wow, win after win this season. Tremendously raised their game.

This one has clearly been tricky, because there have been a number of high-profile changes of showrunners, so in that sense, less of an auteur piece than Mad Men or Breaking Bad...although clearly working well enough, since Walking Dead's audience is bigger than the other 2 of those combined.

This time, though, they're clearly onto a special combination of showrunners and producers, consistently pulling off some of the most satisfying episodes on any show this season.

The details will wait for that other thread...assuming that it actually comes to pass....but I think you'll find great rewards for a little bit of time invested to catch up.

Assuming that they don't run off the rails in this next episode. :)

Also, right behind Walking Dead? Talking Dead. WATCH THIS SHOW. A little uneven, depending on the quality of the guests, but when it sticks the landing, it can be better than the TWD it's talking about.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Dec 2, 2013 at 3:38:37 pm
Last Edited By Mark Suszko on Dec 2, 2013 at 3:39:39 pm

I was at Chicago TARDIS this weekend, where Peter Davison (DW number 5) was giving a live director's commentary at the screening of his "fan film" the Five(ish) doctors . If you have not yet seen that after seeing the 50th anniversary special, drop what you are doing and look it up. Tremendous surprise ending(s). Got enough hits the day it came out that it "broke" tumblr.

Also, if you didn't see it yet, the drama-doc "An Adventure in Space and Time" was really very good too.

At the con were a fleet of old show "companions", as well as doctors Davison, McGann, and Colin Baker...

But the most fun I had was the session with audio pioneer Dick Mills of the BBC Radiophonic workshop, who gave a fascinating illustrated A/V tour of his old studio and the making of the Doctor Who theme. Some folks think they used a theremin on that, but no: every note was generated using oscillating tone generators and manual tape splices, multitracking on three, 2-channel RTR recorders. The story of how they tracked down a bad note in all those splices was a hoot.

They also had a ring modulator setup for people to do Dalek impressions. I enjoyed their Dalek kareoke night. FUN IS MANDATORY! YOU WILL BE EN-TER-TAINED!

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Dec 2, 2013 at 5:45:40 pm

I did not watch Doctor Who prior to the current Russell Davies initiated version (Eccleston, Tennant, Smith). I found the first two series the best, with a continuing arc for Rose and the Doctor.
The crossover with Torchwood was also cool, and the Bad Wolf bit was memorable.

Series 3 and 4 with Donna had its moments, mostly involving River Song, but it got kind of disjointed with more single episode stories. However "Blink" was great and figures into later episodes and companions. Silence in the Library was of course the key to the whole series.

Series 5 and 6 and some of 7 with Amy Pond and Rory was a much different approach, whereas instead of one cute young female, the Doctor had multiple companions. This continuing story had some great moments and a satisfying end.

Finally that takes us to the present "Day of the Doctor" which I agree was a clever way to re-tell the Doctor's story. As time travelers, it does stand to reason they would all meet one another at some point in timey wimey. I did not mind Clara, and like the way they wove her into different time periods as different characters.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Dec 2, 2013 at 7:09:10 pm
Last Edited By Scott Roberts on Dec 2, 2013 at 7:12:32 pm

I don't have much to contribute to this thread, because I'm not a Dr Who fan... I tried to watch 2 episodes of the Matt Smith years and it felt like a Saturday morning kids show, and I didn't like it. I could see the appeal for others, though, I just don't think it's for me. I don't remember where I read this, but I heard someone else refer to Dr Who as something along the lines of "It's as if someone made an entire show out of C3PO's comedy scenes." I'm guess I'm kind of sounding like a jerk right now, but to be fair, I watch plenty of (probably) stupider shows than Dr. Who.

ANYWAYYYYYY, I just wanted to attest to the popularity of that special that aired a couple weeks ago. I mistakenly saw The Hunger Games at the theater pretty close to the same time as that special was about to air, and the theater had FIVE sold out simulcasts going on as well. So I had to park at the Oberweis parking lot a block away from the theater because there were so many cars there at 1pm on a Saturday. It was a madhouse. I'm not sure how the timing worked out the way it did, but there were a million Dr Who nerds there before I went in the Hunger Games, and then there were even MORE crowding the theater lobby when I left. I had to swim through an ocean of blue Tardis dresses and people wearing fezzes and scarves. My immediate thought was, "Wow, I guess people actually *do* go to these Fathom Events they keep advertising before the movies." Hey, the theater I like going to just made a killing off of playing a TV show on a movie screen that everyone could have watched at home, so I'm happy for them.

[Tim Wilson] "That said, there's a new development heading into the mid-season finale next week that's making me roll my eyes. Easy potential for it to run off the rails....but otherwise, wow, win after win this season. Tremendously raised their game."

And for a quick Walking Dead response. WITH A SPOILER, IN CASE YOU DVR'D THE MID SEASON FINALE AND HAVEN'T WATCHED YET.

Let me just say that now that the "Mid Season finale" is over (pretty lame hype-creating marketing concept, in my opinion, by the way), wasting 2 and 1/2 entire episodes on developing The Governor and his return to the show, only to have him die in the most meaningless way possible felt really stupid and pointless to me. In fact, this whole new season has just felt like an eight hour long dragged out set-up to the inevitable last 30 minutes of the most recent episode. EHHHH. I guess I'll keep watching because it always has *moments*, but I don't think Walking Dead is ever really going to go anywhere. Now everyone is on the move again? So we're back at season 2? Then they'll find somewhere else to make their community? Then we're back at season 3 again? Then someone will ruin it and make them go on the move again? I could see this show just being a (slightly different) cycle of the same story lines if they let it drag out for 10 seasons which I imagine it will.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Dec 2, 2013 at 8:40:57 pm

Scott, Doctor Who is not something where one jumps into for one random episode and has it all figured out, any more than jumping into one episode of any long-runing soap would rock your world. The show has fifty years' worth of layered cannon and shared audience experience to it; the only way to give it a fair viewing would be to watch at least the first season of the reboot with Eccleston as the Doctor, and acquire the back-story to being to appreciate the show.

And you know what? it IS a saturday morning kid's show... or rather, an after-school kid's show, designed to scare and creep them out, (It made my 7-year-old hide behind the couch the first time) but not too much, just enough to become a phenomenon, where grownups can share the fun with kids. In my pre-college years, I spent every Sunday night watching Tom Baker as Doctor Who on WTTW, and my gruff, stoic old dad would inevitably end up on the same couch, pretending to read a paper at 10:30 PM and alternate between insulting the show, and ignoring the TV, but he'd always be there again next week, like clockwork. I like to think that he used it as stealth father/son time, but I also think he kind of liked the show but was too afraid to admit it.

DO check out: "An Adventure In Space And Time". it is very well-done and gives you a fictionalized account of the origin of the production from behind the scenes, that's grounded in facts.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
Now, Walking Dead SPOILErS
on Dec 2, 2013 at 8:58:08 pm

[Scott Roberts] " wasting 2 and 1/2 entire episodes on developing The Governor and his return to the show, only to have him die in the most meaningless way possible felt really stupid and pointless to me."

Holy poo, it's impossible for me to disagree more strongly. This was an incredibly satisfying reset for me, in one of the best midseason finales I've ever seen. Heck, one of the best season finales of any sort.

This really was a perfect episode to me. I can't think of a single thing they could have done to improve it, or the ones leading up to it.

To me, it was borderline offensive that the Governor survived last season. I HATED the idea that he might come back. But to come back the way he did was amazing. Even the TEASE that he might be redeemable didn't change me wanting to see him dead, but building up the tease made the payoff all the more rewarding to me.

Part of the payoff was making sure that nobody else survived...with the exception of his new spouse-ish person, who was there to end him after he was indirectly responsible for the death of her daughter.

Him icing the zombie corpse of HER daughter, like Michonne iced the zombie course of HIS daughter was sheer poetry -- seriously, exceptionally written -- which made the specifics of his death at BOTH women's hands especially satisfying.

You surely haven't been watching Talking Dead, which to me is one of the best parts of watching Walking Dead. The audience was FREAKING OUT, and social media was exploding. Some of it was driven by the death of Hershel, and in the post-mortem, both Scott Wilson (Hershel) and Lauren Cohan (Maggie) spent the hour fighting tears. So did the audience and THE HOST, somebody who's supposed to be above all that. It was INSANE.

In fact, Talking Dead has been averaging 4.5 million viewers/week, but after last night, people were so anxious to talk that SIX million viewers hung around, nearly half of TWD's average of 13 million.

-- I'll note your lament about the life of shows like Breaking Bad, where people hear the buzz and check in for a few episodes at the beginning of a season, then drop off in huge numbers (last half of last season of BB excepted) because they don't like what they see. Not AT ALL the case for TWD -- opened with 16 million, and kept 13 million through episode 8 last night.

And again, 6 million of them staying through Talking Dead because they weren't ready to stop watching this story unfold.

That doesn't mean you have to like it of course, but this was a series high-water mark. I don't even feel risky betting you a real pony that the second half ratings will be even higher. In fact, I won't even take that bet. It would feel like stealing a real pony from you.

I'll give a more cogent reply after my deadline tomorrow, but seriously dude, stakes this high, played with such abandon, are why I watch TV at all.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
Re: Now, Walking Dead SPOILErS
on Dec 2, 2013 at 9:20:28 pm

Forgot to note: 13 million for the 9 PM airing, plus another SIX million for the 10 PM airing. I'll bet some of those were people who watched it at 9...but still, there's nothing else happening on this scale on broadcast or cable right now, and on cable, EVER.

(For broadcast, I DO mean "right now." TWD's ratings are a little better than half of Seinfeld at its peak.

But in the last 11 years, only the 2005-06 season of American Idol beats it in the 18-49 demo that all of you besides me are in. LOL Seriously, the biggest show in its demo in OVER A DECADE. Great article about it at Entertainment Weekly...which I'll have you know I was a charter subscriber to, nearly 24 years ago....called How Big Is Big, which was actually written in October. The rhetorical answer NOW is, "Bigger."

It's cooler than heck that Nielsen is now tracking Twitter, too....I think, because it's the only one they CAN. I'm sure that as other social media platforms allow this kind of tracking, Nielsen will watch them too. (For example, "Trending topics" doesn't really mean anything on Facebook, even if they COULD track it.)

Anyway, TWD was the #1 TV show on Twitter yesterday, collecting 83% of all tv-related tweets!!!! Something like 880,500 tweets, with over 43 million impressions -- ie, these people weren't just talking to themselves. Hashtags were trending BIG time -- four MAJOR major ones, plus another couple that were merely "major" -- as people sought this information out.

Again, I'm not saying that any of this should change your mind. If anything, it probably settles you more firmly into your opinion, which is exactly what hard numbers SHOULD do. LOL

I'm just saying. The audience went nuts over this, and I think it will mean a bigger audience in February.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Dec 2, 2013 at 9:30:20 pm

[Tim Wilson] "This really was a perfect episode to me. I can't think of a single thing they could have done to improve it, or the ones leading up to it."

Wellllllllllllllllll, I agree with you halfway there. I might not have articulated this correctly in my paragraph of babble, but I did *really* like the actual mid-season finale episode. That last episode was great. It was visceral, it was sad, it was action packed, it had momentum, it had stuff actually happening.

I just didn't need to see as direct a rebirth of the Governor as they did for the two episodes leading up to it. I guess *someone* had to destroy the prison, because that storyline was literally dying a slow and boring death, but I'm not so sure we needed any more development of *last* season's villain. Especially if it was only for an intentionally short period of time. And it's not even that it was short lived, it's that it was an EXTENDED short life. Doing one lead-in Governor episode would have felt like "OK, I guess he's back and about to do something? Cool.", but doing TWO episodes turned it into The Governor Show. A fan service to the memorable eye-patch psycho from last year. The Walking Dead should take notes from Boardwalk Empire on how to handle season long villains.

I will say to be fair, the Walking Dead is pretty awesome in the way it kills off main characters, but they dropped the ball by not having The Governor die at the end of season three, and then just bringing on a new guy for season four. When they let people live and linger around, then they become stale. Probably because none of the characters are really that interesting or well written, so killing them off when the time is right is actually the right thing to do. Hershel dying when he did was actually a perfect time to do so. What more did he have to offer to this story? He's had a memorable run, and he even had an episode earlier this season he he was featured as the main protagonist, and it was great, he introduced us all to Spaghetti Tuesdays, and it was his time to go. The Governor's time was 9 episodes ago.

A note to ALL show runners: Stop letting characters stay around longer than they need to! That's how Dexter became a show where we watched Batista open a restaurant and Joey Quinn going on dates with Dexter's babysitter.

[Tim Wilson] "Again, I'm not saying that any of this should change your mind. If anything, it probably settles you more firmly into your opinion, which is exactly what hard numbers SHOULD do. LOL

I'm just saying. The audience went nuts over this, and I think it will mean a bigger audience in February."

I'm not denying the popularity, and I actually think it's cool that a show of this genre has grown to be as huge as it has. And to be honest, it's not a bad show, which is nice. It's just, eh, I don't know. It's entertaining. Yeah. Entertaining. But I'll never consider it a *great* show, unless they can prove me wrong in the future! Which I would be very happy to admit I was wrong, because that would mean I was watching more great television! Maybe they should kill off Carl, that would help. :)

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Dec 2, 2013 at 9:46:49 pm

I was about to get snarky and ask you to put your TWD comments into their own, easier to navigate thread, but my daughter pointed out to me Monday that the actor that plays "The Governor/Brian", was in an episode of Doctor Who as a victorian era man who accidentally gets a dose of Time Lord knowledge and thinks (and acts, dramatically) as if HE is The REAL Doctor.

Still waiting to read the post Brian-death Family Guy analysis, but in it's own thread, please

Return to posts index

Kylee Peña
on Dec 2, 2013 at 9:53:22 pm

No way, these threads are the best ones because they're like real conversations! The willy-nillier, the better.

Family Guy death analysis in haiku form, a la Tim:

So Brian died, eh.
That was a thing that happened.
Uh, what's for dinner?

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Dec 2, 2013 at 10:25:16 pm

[Mark Suszko] "my daughter pointed out to me"

Added to her insights on Hunger Games, she clearly needs to be posting here.

[Mark Suszko] "in it's own thread, please"

Dude, it's the Thanksgiving season. Give thanks we're supplying vaguely accurate subject headings. Maybe when we get closer to Xmas you can start ASKING for stuff.

[Scott Roberts] "Maybe they should kill off Carl, that would help. :)"

I used to say that, especially through the end of Season 2...but he has quietly turned into one of the show's true badasses. Capped his mom right after he delivered his baby sister. Remember the stare of contempt he gave his father afterward? "Where were you, you whiny bastard?" Yikes!

Him and those two creepy little girls. Stone-cold killers. I want them watching my back for me, so I don't have to be watching my back for them. Carl's pretty levelheaded, but I think that the older girl in particular already likes the taste of blood.

The guy they should kill is Rick. His only value-add in the past 2+ seasons was sending Carol away...which I don't think was a good idea for that group of people on the show, but as a character, something he DID that moved the story along in an interesting way.

He's kind of like Jack on Lost, though. The Everyman we're supposed to empathize with -- in some senses for Lost, the guy whose eyes we're literally watching the show through -- when in fact he's the show's biggest drag, in both the slang and literal senses of the word.

In fact, just to close the loop, Carl should be the one to pop his pop, like he did his mother. With her, it was tragic, knowing that he was helping kill her by delivering her baby, then HAVING to shoot her to keep her from going full zombie.

Just like he did for Shane, actually, which was also his first full-on glare of contempt for his father. "I'm f-in NINE or whatever, and I'm doing YOUR job. I hate you. Now butch up."

That's what should be next in terms of outlining the arc -- Carl kills Rick in the course of doing the job Rick SHOULD have been doing.

In any case, thanks for clarifying how you felt about it. We can disagree about some specifics, but I'm feeling a little better about myself knowing that we're generally moving in the same direction.

I also agree that it has fallen short of what I'd call GREAT television....although this is the first episode that makes me think it can be.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Dec 2, 2013 at 10:45:34 pm

[Tim Wilson] "but he has quietly turned into one of the show's true badasses."

I'll admit, the character has gotten WAY better. I just have never liked the child actor they cast to play him. He's no good. Best exemplified by his horrible crying scene at the end of the last episode. Man, that was bad acting. Also, take off that dumb hat!

[Tim Wilson] "The guy they should kill is Rick."

Yeah, I agree with losing Rick. But there's no one rounded enough to fill his shoes. Everyone else is pretty much just a sliver of a character at the moment, most of them one note. Daryl and Michonne are the badasses, more rogues than leaders. Maggie and Glen are followers. Hershel was the old guy with wisdom (I bet a new old guy will come along!). Tyreese is just muscle. In fact, if anyone was to replace Rick, it probably would have been Carol, because they actually developed her into something worthwhile this season. But I'm sure she'll show up again come February or March.

[Tim Wilson] "Carl's pretty levelheaded, but I think that the older girl in particular already likes the taste of blood."

Agreed, and my guess is she's the one who went all serial killer on that rat right before the Governor showed up.

[Tim Wilson] "I also agree that it has fallen short of what I'd call GREAT television....although this is the first episode that makes me think it can be."

I hope so! But my gut reaction is that most of the rest of the season will be about regrouping, and ultimately coming to something thrilling near the end of the season in order to set up whatever they have in store for season 5. How can there be a real solid villain/conflict for the rest of this season if everyone is scattered all over the place?

I'm hoping the next threat is that the zombies start forming giant balls and running people over like in Critters 2. [takes bow] {accepts flowers] [blows audience kisses for being the first person to mention Critters 2 on this forum]

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Dec 2, 2013 at 11:10:29 pm

Really, because Critters 1 left so much unsaid, so many questions un-answered...

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Dec 2, 2013 at 11:18:25 pm

[Mark Suszko] "Really, because Critters 1 left so much unsaid, so many questions un-answered..."

Well, Rome wasn't built in a day...

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Dec 3, 2013 at 1:40:06 pm

I agree that it is in the spirit of this spirited group that Walking Dead discussion be embedded in a Doctor Who thread. Maybe we should add some Family Matters references just to be on the safe side.

Anyway, to avoid repeating what has already been said, here are my 8 little gifts - whether you celebrate Chanukkah or not!

1 - I think Talking Dead is such a brilliant concept. A show about another show. It really legitimizes the podcast, from whence Chris Hardwick originated. Did you see how Lauren Cohan (no relation) broke down about losing her screen father - this is a tight-knit cast. Did you also notice how many cast members are British, playing people from Georgia?

2 - I hope the show stays on the air long enough so we can see Carl at about 18 years old and become the biggest badass TV has ever seen. You know that kid is loving his job, even if he has a female stunt double who gets to do most of the machine gun shooting.

3 - After the two episode "Return of the Governor" arc, I almost forgot about Rick and his gang (apparently they were at Comic-Con for two weeks during filming), and it was nice to see them again. We have not really seen the parallel storyline concept on Walking Dead.

4 - While sad to see a main character go, TWD is all about the difficulty of surviving an apocalypse, so it stands to reason everyone stands a similar chance. What we have seen almost from the start is that in the face of extinction, the human race is prone to the curse of humanity - human-on-human violence. Take World War II. Millions died and there was no shortage of food, water, medicine or raw materials. Imagine a war fought over scarce resources (ie, oil, water, fertile land) - this is a real possibility in our future.

5 - The News Media needs to learn to keep spoilers out of Monday morning news for those who don't watch live tv. I learned about Brian Griffin on the radio driving to work Monday. I watch Family Guy some evening during the work week. Normally nothing significant happens so you will probably never hear about Family Guy on the news again unless they kill Vinny!

6 - While I was most often compared to Screech in my high school days, my dad thought I was more like Steve Urkel. We loved that show. Here's a nice slideshow of the Family Matters cast members today:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/17/family-matters-where-are-they-now_...

7 - Wish I thought of this:

8 - In my discussion of Doctor Who I forgot to mention the re-introduction of Sarah Jane and K-9, the doctor's companion and robot dog from days gone by. Eventually she got her own show, and then sadly the actress Elizabeth Sladen died in 2011.

Happy Holidays

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Dec 3, 2013 at 4:44:50 pm

[Mike Cohen] "I agree that it is in the spirit of this spirited group that Walking Dead discussion be embedded in a Doctor Who thread. Maybe we should add some Family Matters references just to be on the safe side."

I couldn't have said it better. Certainly not as succinctly.

[Mike Cohen] "The News Media needs to learn to keep spoilers out of Monday morning news for those who don't watch live tv."

No, sorry man: everyone ELSE needs to learn to stay away from news and social media when there's something big that they don't want to know.

This is a rant for another day, but spoiler alerts ONLY apply BEFORE something is available for viewing. After that, the burden is on YOU.

Here's a fun stat for you: of the most watched cable shows on Sunday night: Walking Dead was #1 (on track for biggest on broadcast OR cable for the entire week again of course), Talking Dead #2....with other airings of Walking Dead at #5 and 8!

In other words, FOUR of the TOP EIGHT shows on Sunday night were Walking Dead!

Entertainment news and zombies wait for no one. They just keep on coming with their glassy, unseeing eyes and ravenous maws.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]