FORUMS: list search recent posts

"Moon"

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
"Moon"
on Feb 4, 2010 at 5:11:30 am

"Moon", starring Sam Rockwell and... Sam Rockwell. Watched it today, really enjoyed a sci fi piece without a lot of aliens and explosions in it. Though it did have a few scientific things wrong with it, the movie was well-made with interesting performances. Without giving too much away, this is a one-man movie, and it is no simple thing for one guy to carry a movie for 90 minutes all by himself. Ask Tom Hanks.

While the film uses a lot of complex HDRI-assisted compositing, ironically, the director chose to use physical models for the lunar surface vehicles, a la Gerry Anderson. Combined with some CGI, he felt they conveyed more realism.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
Re: "Moon"
on Feb 4, 2010 at 4:25:17 pm

Yeah I thought it was really cool too. And Sam Rockwell should have at least gotten an Oscar nomination for his work on it. The director (Duncan Jones) is actually David Bowie's son, so I knew I was in store for a wild ride before I saw it. The budget was fairly small, so I know they shot most of it in a studio, and that's probably the reasoning for the use of models over special effects (or he could have just been paying homage to older sci-fi films?). It was one of those movies, though, that I thought looked a lot better in theaters than it did on my TV.

Return to posts index

Craig Richard
on Feb 15, 2010 at 3:04:03 pm

You know, I avoided all reviews in anticipation of this movie, hoping for an intelligent, indie take on space. Tarkovsky would have been nice, even a take on the remake of Solaris.
Clones? Really? Clones? Terribly dissapointing, however, if you can forgive the sophomoric let down, still an ok film. But clones? Really?
c.

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on May 7, 2010 at 1:24:45 am

My impression is "WOW - there are not enough movies that get it right like Moon."

Think I'll watch it again.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]