FORUMS: list search recent posts

Marvel + Netflix

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kylee Peña
Marvel + Netflix
on Nov 7, 2013 at 5:51:52 pm

Netflix and Marvel are making some stuff together. Four thirteen-episode original series and a miniseries to bring em all together.

http://marvel.com/news/story/21476/disneys_marvel_and_netflix_join_forces_t...

This sounds way more interesting to me than Agents of Shield and The Avengers. Long form storytelling with more intriguing/somewhat less known Marvel characters.

In fact, my first impression is that this is the only way to bring comic characters to life. The universe is too dense for a 2 hour film every few years.

Thoughts?

blog: kyleesportfolio.com/blog
twitter: @kyl33t
demo: kyleewall.com

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Marvel + Netflix
on Nov 7, 2013 at 5:58:03 pm

I gave up on Agents of Shield after three episodes. If anyone thinks something worth knowing happens please let me know. I read that the last episode will deal with the after math of the new Thor movie and set up the Captain America movie.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Nov 7, 2013 at 7:50:31 pm

I really wanted to stick with SHIELD, even if it wasn't VERY good...but boy, the air is leaking out of that balloon fast, even for me.

Thanks for passing along the Netflix news, but my current thinking is the same as for every comics-related property I hear about: I'll be okay as long as it's half as good as Arrow, because it's so unlikely that it will even approach THAT.

I'd never even heard of Arrow before last year, and admittedly, as a standalone character, second tier at best, but AS EXECUTED on this particular show, better than just about any masked hero/superhero movie that I can think of.

I also agree with you Kylee that movies are actually pretty bad places to deal with these kind of stories. TV is much better, and I can say without hesitation that nobody has made a TV show of this sort even as half as good as Arrow. Hence me being so ready to settle for anything that actually IS half as good.

If you've ever cared enough about comics-ish things enough to post about them, your life is a sadder, duller place than it needs to be without Arrow.

Disclaimers I've mentioned before: start at the beginning, and don't bail too early. Like a lot of shows (notably, any recent NBC Thursday comedy), it needed half a season or so to find its feet. It ended strong, and season 2 has come roaring out of the gate...which I think may make it harder to start there. Not that it's Breaking Bad or The Sopranos or anything, but imagine trying to start with season 2 of those. Better not to start at all.

So, I'll be happy to be proved wrong again -- it's more an ontological state for me than a particular event -- but no kidding, I do try on most of these movies and TV shows, but my enthusiasm for any future ones keeps dropping, because I keep being disappointed by how much less satisfying they are than Arrow.

Again, though, thanks for the news. Definitely a good sign. Here's to their efforts being half as good as Arrow! LOL

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Nov 7, 2013 at 11:08:00 pm

AOS had a better than average episode this past week, so maybe it is getting better. The show doesn;t yet know what it wants to be, but it better choose soon.

Anybody remember Carl Lumbly in "M.A.N.T.I.S.? I liked what show idea and was sad it didn't last longer.

Return to posts index

Jeff Breuer
on Nov 8, 2013 at 12:00:01 am

Very excited when I saw this. I had a little hesitance with "Agent's" now on "Heroes" watch. But their track record with movies is really astounding. Hopefully with treating these more like mini-series with some end games in mind it will play out more like the Avengers movies series than their struggling TV series. And as Kylee pointed out, the opportunity to explore a lot more of the content and story arcs.

Go Netflix for not just being a place to offer the same TV shows and movies that we can really be made elsewhere, but for trying to find new ways for people to tell good stories. Kudos!

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Dec 2, 2013 at 11:13:49 pm

SHIELD has gotten better, and just in time. Might want to take another look now.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Dec 2, 2013 at 11:22:33 pm

Mark,
If we jump back in, what episode should it be and what did we miss in-between?

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Dec 3, 2013 at 12:03:37 am

Eps 6,7,8 are all good, but if you only pick one, pick 8, "The Well", the ep that follows, "repairs" kind of bookends it.

"The Hub" takes the geek/jock road show story to a different place, very entertaining.

... or 7. ^, tiled Fzzzzt isn't bd, but The Well is where they begin showing a new, more adult direction to he character relationships.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Dec 3, 2013 at 3:48:04 pm

I'll give it a second chance but start at 8. Any thing important that I missed?

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Dec 3, 2013 at 3:54:53 pm

[Stephen Smith] "If we jump back in, what episode should it be and what did we miss in-between?"

I'm not sure you've missed anything in particular. Not too much specific character/mythology development....again noting that I've been enjoying it, and agree that it's getting better.

The best place to jump back in is episode 6, "F.Z.Z.T." Some funny stuff, some nice action, another coupla cryptic allusions to life-altering traumas still lurking in the backstory. There have been a couple of weeks of reruns since then, so there are only a few more after that and you'll be all caught up.

I think it's episode 8 that has a cute follow-up to Thor: Into Darkness, basically having to clean up the mess he left behind in England.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Dec 3, 2013 at 4:01:30 pm

Tim, I haven't seen Thor yet and probably won't be able to until it is on Redbox :-( Will the episode give anything away about the Movie other then what I already know from the Trailer?

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Nov 8, 2013 at 2:50:37 pm

For the love of all things holy, will someone please stop making f***ing superhero and comic book movies. In fact, while we are at it, stop Michael Bay making anything ever again.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Nov 8, 2013 at 3:28:38 pm

Michael Bays last Transformer movie made over a billion dollars world wide. I think that means a lot of people like his movies.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/people/chart/?id=michaelbay.htm

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Nov 9, 2013 at 5:23:49 am

12 year olds and men with too much time on their hands?

I'm not disputing box office appeal to idiots, they just suck, and they are killing the film industry.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Nov 9, 2013 at 6:53:16 am

[Tom Sefton] "For the love of all things holy, will someone please stop making f***ing superhero and comic book movies."

Actually, it's for the love all things holy that they DO make them.

Stories of superhumans are among the oldest and most often told stories we have. From Greek gods and goddesses to golems, these are why we tell stories at all. We're hard-wired for these kinds of stories.

One of the best deals at Amazon is on this very subject: Joseph Cambell's The Hero With A Thousand Faces.

This is related to why, millennia before anyone heard the word "dinosaur," dragons were a common part of folklore around the world -- and even earlier than dragons, stories of the undead drinking the blood and eating the flesh of the living. The name "vampire" is very recent, but vampire-esque creatures go back to the origins of written history. Google "Mesopotamian vampire myths" sometime. You'll be amazed.

Actually, no need. I did it for you.

So don't blame this on Marvel or Bay....although feel free to blame them for these movies being 20 minutes too long.

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Nov 10, 2013 at 11:02:42 pm

I get all of that Tim. I really do. I just can't help thinking that there has to be some more interesting stories out there, or at least a more interesting way of telling them. Something else to captivate someones imagination, make them dream, make them think and make them feel.

The last blockbuster that was really interesting was Inception. I can't honestly say that I have any interest in knowing how iron man, the hulk and whoever else will fare against the next demon that comes their way, no matter how any times we see Scarlett johannson's cleavage/lips, Robert Downey jr quip something and hulk lose his shit. It's just all so....obvious. I'd love to see a film like this that was so different in concept and design that it became a blockbuster, not already was one before the posters had been designed.

Take the undead nightmare films that are so popular - have any of them offered more than 28 days later or let the right one in? The stories are great and have roots in myths from thousands of years ago but with clever filmmaking they are interesting to watch.

I like comic books but I'm bored of seeing them appear in a film that cost £250m to make and is sold on its strength of its opening weekend and it's gross to date. Give michael bay £30m, a brave actor who needs a career change and an origins story of Blackhawk and I'm interested.

Return to posts index

Kylee Peña
on Nov 10, 2013 at 11:21:04 pm

Different people find different things to be exciting. What you find insanely obvious, someone else may find comfortably immersive. Many people just want to escape. Probably MOST people.

I'm just saying the box office kind of speaks for itself on these things. Michael Bay making Transformers is not preventing you from making the film YOU want either. Way too many resources available today to say you can't get an "original" film made.

blog: kyleesportfolio.com/blog
twitter: @kyl33t
demo: kyleewall.com

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Nov 10, 2013 at 11:51:28 pm

Very very true Kylie. I know people want to escape - it's a joy to be engrossed In a film. The debate that comes next is something that Peter biskind touched on in down and dirty pictures - that soon Hollywood could become unsustainable. Even though I or anyone else can make the film that they want due to the fall in cost of production and raise in standards of technology, getting it to the cinema is another story. If more than one huge budget film fails then a large film studio would fail. They hedge their bets that spending £500m on a cookie cutter comic book film will sell £1bn worth of tickets and don't want to know about smaller films. There is a thriving independent film scene, but bringing them mainstream is a different matter-it took miramax years to get people interested in watching films that didn't have Arnie and Stallone in them-who can afford to do that now? The next logical step for cinema audiences might well be a divide between independent cinemas which screen independent films and chain cinemas that screen blockbusters. I for one would love to see a small cinema charging less than £10 per ticket to see a film that had a small budget but a big heart.

Return to posts index

Sam Lanes
on Nov 17, 2013 at 10:39:11 am

If you're ever in Leeds, Tom, you should try the Hyde Park Picture House if you haven't already.

Tickets less than £10 and an ever-changing schedule of films, old and new. Plus it's a beautiful old cinema to boot.

There is also another week of the Leeds International Film festival left this week. I have been to see some great 'small budget, big heart' films already this week. I have really enjoyed some of the foreign-language films - The Rocket (set in Laos) was brilliantly done, and U.S. Civil War film The Retrieval (written, directed AND edited by Chris Ezra) shows that a strong storyline can really make a strong film.

After a few lean years in my local vicinity where small cinemas were going bust and the city centre was dominated by two/three multiplexes, there is definitely more opportunity to watch something different if you look hard enough. Small budget films are never going to be noticed through the ubiquity of the blockbusters due to their nature, but sometimes the reward for seeking them out is much greater.

http://www.aefromscratch.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Nov 11, 2013 at 7:37:21 am

Tom, did you ever see "Watchmen?" NOT the average comic book movie, and I thought it did a great job in evoking the graphic novel.

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Nov 11, 2013 at 4:21:14 pm

Yeah it was good. I thought it was really close to the novel and it was so close to being a classic. Somehow the scenes with Billy Crudup just didn't work for me, but I get your point that this was a different way of producing a comic book film. Sin City, I liked. That borrowed from film noir and the look of the film was very cool - it didn't take itself too seriously which was great - similar to Kick Ass. Hellboy - that was good. Ron Perlman was excellent in the leading role.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Nov 11, 2013 at 4:37:17 pm

[Tom Sefton] "I for one would love to see a small cinema charging less than £10 per ticket to see a film that had a small budget but a big heart."

I saw Dallas Buyers Club over the weekend (a $5 million movie about a group of people battling AIDS [review to come later this week]), which I would consider a monumentally small budget and a HUGE heart, for less than $10 over the weekend. This was the same weekend that I also saw Thor 2 (a $170 million movie with noticeably less heart).

That's the thing about movies, dude, you can pick and choose what you want to see, or you can go see everything. Superhero movies haven't destroyed cinema, they've been around for a long time, and the theater room next to Thor this weekend was STILL playing a $5 million indie AIDS movie. I mean, the theater near where I live is playing Blue is the Warmest Color right now. That's a three hour French movie about two lesbian students falling in love. I don't know how less Hollywood that can get?

So, unless you develop anger issues from seeing commercials for big blockbuster movies on TV, then I don't see how the existence of such movies should make you so angry. Because YOU DON'T HAVE TO GO SEE THEM. You have complete free will over which movies you choose to see. In my opinion you're missing out (more on the Marvel side, less on the Michael Bay side), but you have the total choice to be like completely unaffected by the Hollywood phenomenon. I'm not sure where you live, but if you want to see smaller movies in theaters, I'm sure there's a theater somewhere close by that's playing SOMETHING small budget and with big heart. Even though, as someone who sees movies every weekend, I think it's a little ridiculous that you generalize a film's quality in direct relation to its budget, because I see plenty of great films with both big budgets and small budgets all the time. Movies can surprise you, and a lot of times I don't know what I'm in for until I actually see it.

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Nov 11, 2013 at 9:13:58 pm

Look, I know I don't have to go and see them and I know that a budget doesn't always relate to a films quality. But come on, this might be going a little far. My simple point is that in the last few years there has been a big glut of superhero/comic book adaptations. Most likely too many of them. So many are formulaic and tired whilst relying on SFX houses to replace character and script (which are being bankrupted despite their sterling work). Yes some comic book films have been great, and yes there still are indie movies around; I saw mud not too long ago and loved it and Dallas buyers club - mcConaughey - stewie griffin must hate that.

I live in York in England. There are 3 cinemas nearby and all charge around £9 per ticket (what's that -$15?). I went to see seven samurai and then les trois couleurs recently, but my level of interest in seeing comic book films is falling. Incidentally, they were at the smallest independent chain - city screen which is really cool, allows you to have wine and beer with your film, has big seats and a great restaurant in each one. Vue and odeon tend to show mainstream and nothing else, with short runs on anything difficult or challenging.

It's only my opinion, and I'm really not that angry. Lost in translation is a small amount of sarcasm and some humour. There's plenty to watch; it would just be nice to see some classic and inventive blockbuster films coming out - maybe I'm wrong or out of touch but the avengers doesn't seem to hold a candle to Indiana jones.

All good in the hood though dude.

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Nov 13, 2013 at 6:33:57 pm

Tom - I've seen your name all over the COW but never knew you were from York. We had a nice 2 day stop there on our last trip up North. (My wife is from Doncaster) - enjoyed the Viking Museum - perhaps the Thor producers should do some research there!

Cheers

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Nov 14, 2013 at 7:50:52 am

If you went to some of the other museums around York you might have seen some of our work!

The Jorvik museum is pretty cool-brings tourists from all over the world which is great for a little city like York. We love living here - so peaceful and very beautiful with the countryside on the doorstep. Luckily London is now only 2hrs away and getting closer with hs2....!

Next time you come up drop me a line and we can meet for a coffee.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]