FORUMS: list search recent posts

Behind the Mask

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kylee Peña
Behind the Mask
on Nov 2, 2013 at 8:17:51 pm

I didn't know Hulu had any original series programming until last week when I happened to see it sitting there on the main screen. Behind the Mask is a docureality series about sports mascots. It reminds of me of an mtv reality show, but without the BS.

The show follows mascots at the high school, college, semi pro, and pro levels. And each of these characters has a really amazing story thread. Being a mascot is everything to them, but in a different way. It's really fascinating.

I take some issue with the structure of the show itself -- I hate when these shows have stupid cliffhangers before commercial break. You don't need that on Hulu. I'm not going to leave the show during an ad.

I also hate that they aren't putting up the whole season at once, like Netflix.

Anyhoo, highly recommend this show. Very well done, very minor gimmicks.

blog: kyleesportfolio.com/blog
twitter: @kyl33t
demo: kyleewall.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Behind the Mask
on Nov 2, 2013 at 9:48:45 pm

So, how many of them turn out to be Furries?

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
Re: Behind the Mask
on Nov 3, 2013 at 3:39:03 am

[Kylee Wall] "Being a mascot is everything to them, but in a different way. It's really fascinating. "

I knew a Louisville college basketball Cardinal, met a Baltimore MLB Oriole, and knew a girl whose brother was one of the people inside THE Goofy outfit on Main St. USA at Disney World in Orlando. Completely different experiences, but I completely agree -- absolutely fascinating. I wish I heard more stories from all of them.

[Kylee Wall] "I take some issue with the structure of the show itself "

That's what I love about Netflix shows, and I'm willing to bet the upcoming Amazon shows. They understand how we watch shows on those platforms.

Netflix knows that more people saw Season 1 of Breaking Bad in 2013 than watched it in 2008...maybe even more people watched Season 1 in 2013 than had watched Season 1 in every year since 2008 combined. There will be people discovering Breaking Bad years from now. THAT's the model Netflix is aiming for with their series, and I wholeheartedly support them NOT giving figures on how many streams they've fed along the way. Has nothing to do with anything.

Which is my characteristically long-winded way of saying, I agree about the commercials and cliffhangers and such too. I'm not sure that I've ever walked out while a commercial was playing on a web stream, especially now that clicking even accidentally on another part of the stream invokes a new cycle of ads. They've now trained me to be riveted to my screen, staring like a drooling dog for the show to start again.

Do what you gotta do to pay the bills, but keep the old-platform nonsense out of my way. Let the new platform be the new platform.

But I'm on board. I hope that Hulu gets the format right, but this sounds like a great show.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]