FORUMS: list search recent posts

TV spot VFX side by side comparison

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Smith
TV spot VFX side by side comparison
on Oct 24, 2013 at 6:52:13 pm

I know this isn't "Game of Thrones" type of VFX comparison that we love to check out on this forum. But it was a lot of fun to work on. Here is the TV spot I got to work on:

https://vimeo.com/76003006

And here is the side by side comparison:

https://vimeo.com/76622200

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
Re: TV spot VFX side by side comparison
on Oct 24, 2013 at 10:13:33 pm

Nice! I'm sure if there was a Sizzler in Westeros, they would have green screened it in the same way!

Side note: I used to eat at Sizzler when I was a kid, and I liked it a lot, then they closed down all the restaurants in Illinois, and I haven't eaten there in about 20 years. It still looks good in the commercial. I hope you got free Sizzler coupons out of this.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Oct 24, 2013 at 10:16:07 pm

[Scott]
if there was a Sizzler in Westeros, they would have green screened it in the same way!

Ha Ha, I love it!

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Jeff Breuer
on Oct 24, 2013 at 11:23:18 pm

Good job! I'm jealous. I want a job where I can learn to work with Resolve.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Oct 25, 2013 at 6:23:49 am

[Jeff Breuer] "I want a job where I can learn to work with Resolve"

You know it's free for anything up to 1920x1080, right? Get to work! :-)

I've pointed many people to Stephen's colorist reel to show how one of these is supposed to look. It's a couple of years old, but still a very fresh mix of split screen and before/after shots...and no, as Stephen says, not Game of Thrones, but top-shelf nonetheless. This is how you do it.

Color Grading Reel

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Oct 25, 2013 at 3:59:04 pm

[Tim]
[Jeff Breuer] "I want a job where I can learn to work with Resolve"

You know it's free for anything up to 1920x1080, right? Get to work! :-)

Resolve Lite is free ( http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support ) and the Beta for 10 is now available. The things you can do in it will make it so you never use the 3 way color corrector again in your NLE system. Just the mask and tracking capabilities alone are down right amazing.

[Tim]
I've pointed many people to Stephen's colorist reel to show how one of these is supposed to look. It's a couple of years old, but still a very fresh mix of split screen and before/after shots...and no, as Stephen says, not Game of Thrones, but top-shelf nonetheless. This is how you do it.

Tim, thanks for the kind words, that made my day. One thing that drives me nuts about Color Grading reels is when you just see a bunch of beautiful clips. That doesn't tell us how much work you had to put into the footage. I think we agree that not all cinematography is equal. Certain shots need more work then others. As you mentioned the reel is old, I really need to update it especially since I have done some really cool stuff since it was made.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Oct 25, 2013 at 4:49:45 pm

Awesome as always, Stephen, I'm guessing you had to roto around the kids that didn't line up with the small green screen as they ran to shore?

The colorization side-by side really tells the story, congrats especially on turning the brown weeds into lush green. Can I have you do my front yard next spring? :-)

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Oct 25, 2013 at 5:31:46 pm

This commercial was crazy to work on. The day we filmed it a big rain storm rolled into town. We had to wait under a canopy that we set up while it rained. The rain would die down for a couple of minutes and we would film what we could and then get back under the canopy. This created real time restraints and I'm happy the the spot turned out so good considering the challenge the weather created.

[Mark]
Awesome as always, Stephen, I'm guessing you had to roto around the kids that didn't line up with the small green screen as they ran to shore?

Thanks Mark. Yes, the original concept called for the girl running on the beach with her Mom while the Dad and son where getting out. It was funnier when they where all trying to get out at the same time so our green screen was no longer big enough. As you know the further away the screen is the smaller it is, so we would have needed a really big green screen. After Effects Roto brush is amazing and did a great job. I ended up replacing everything in the shot including the water except for the family and the life raft. That way I could make the water look transparent and have the sand gradually get darker and darker. Because of that I need to roto scope everyone except for when they where in front of green. To me the coolest part about the TV spot is that we shot it in Utah which is two States away from the Ocean.

[Mark]
The colorization side-by side really tells the story, congrats especially on turning the brown weeds into lush green. Can I have you do my front yard next spring? :-)

I love it.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Jeff Breuer
on Oct 28, 2013 at 3:55:16 pm

Yea...I know. But my old computer is not true 64bit so I literally cannot run the software. I can't even run SpeedGrade! We have needed an update for a while and have been anxious for the MacPro announcement, so hopefully I will have something early next year.

But speaking of color and telling a story, I've wondered if there are any good videos out there that go over color theory in film. There are plenty of tutorials on how to use the tools, like Biscardi's classic on Apple's Color here on the Cow, but those videos just touch on theory here and there. I would love to see more on showing Blade and explaining why they used the bleach bypass to tell their story or how Woody Allen used Golden tones and a limited pallet to do the old time shots in Midnight in Paris, that kind of stuff.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]