FORUMS: list search recent posts

The Hurt Locker

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Cohen
The Hurt Locker
on Jan 29, 2010 at 4:30:11 pm

The Oscar buzz for this movie is heating up. Topical movies about the Iraq war are usually poorly executed and/or overtly politicized.

But The Hurt Locker, in my opinion, is perfectly accomplished. If this is an accurate depiction of what the troops go through on a daily basis over there, then not only do they have my respect and accolades, but it shows that the news media and politicians have really glossed over the true situation on the ground.

The soldiers in this movie are depicted as fragile human beings, not hardened killers as is so often the case. The personal stories of each main character are just as important as the action, as they are influenced by each other.

And this movie passes the Mike Cohen movie realism test - the realism is in the details. While the movie's action exteriors were shot in Jordan, I believed these guys were in insurgent territory. the locations and set dressings (ie, garbage on the streets) were not typical movie sets and locations.

I did not know much about the director Kathryn Bigelow. however looking back on her credits, everything I have seen of hers has been well done. Looking forward to more of her films - and great to see a movie like this from someone other than Tony Scott, Ridley Scott or Paul Greengrass.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
Re: The Hurt Locker
on Jan 29, 2010 at 5:41:21 pm

I completely agree. Put it next to similar topic films like Three Kings and Jarhead, and you start to see how good Hurt Locker really is.

If you haven't seen the HBO mini-series Generation Kill, you should check that out, it's just as great (in my opinion) as the Hurt Locker.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]