FORUMS: list search recent posts

Escape From Tomorrow

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Roberts
Escape From Tomorrow
on Oct 18, 2013 at 5:40:08 pm

Premise: A guy is informed that he's losing his job while on vacation with his family at Disney World. So he gets drunk and (possibly?) starts having weird visions, and there's (possibly?) some big conspiracy. I don't know. The plot is kind of a half-thought. Escape From Tomorrow is more widely known as the film that was shot (mostly) at Disney World (and its many hotel rooms), without the permission of Disney. I think at the current time, Disney isn't taking any action against them, as to not give the film any more publicity. Good move on Disney's part, because this movie probably doesn't deserve much more publicity.

Pros:

-I really liked all the footage of the rides and attractions, if only because I genuinely enjoy theme parks and it brought back good memories. That being said, there is a lot of footage of people just riding rides. Also, Splash Mountain > Space Mountain > Thunder Mountain. JUST SAYIN.

-I was kind of in awe at the amount of effort it must have taken to do all these scenes at Disney without anyone knowing. Some of the camera angles seem like they would have been particularly annoying to shoot in such a crowded place without the ability to control the situation. I imagine most (if not all) of this was ADR sound?

-Some of the jokes are decently funny, like "Your mom is pretty, in an Emily Dickinson or Tina Fey kind of way."

-Is has the best crapping on a toilet scene since Dumb & Dumber.

-THOSE GIANT TURKEY LEGS ARE AWESOME.

Cons:

-The plot is sort of basic and immature. Even when it starts to go a little crazier, it never really feels like a complex idea. It seems to just go for a lot of cheap shock value type gags. If they were going to go through the work of making this movie the way they did, I probably would have written a more well-rounded script first. Stuff just sort of happens.

-The third act is kind of... boring...?

-Blech, I hate these child actors. Scratch that... I kind of hate most these actors. The dad looks like he could be Tom Cruise's out-of-shape older brother.

-The black and white aesthetic didn't do much for me. Especially because it wasn't particularly well-shot. Though, I guess I could see it looking like a *completely* jumbled mess had it been in color. But in all fairness, I thought the pool scene was nicely shot. However, most of the interesting visuals in the movie just come from the fact that Disney World is a visually interesting place.

-Looks like they cheated a bunch of the scenes with green screens. I guess you can't have people pretending to taze each other in the actual park and get away with it.

-Perhaps they could have picked some girls that looked less like 14-year-olds to be the object of the dad's obsession. I don't know how old the actresses really are, but it sort of creeped me out. Also, the spitting scene? HUH?

-"Geosporin"? Can't they just call it ointment? And whoa... The scene where he's spraying it all over the place (including the random cutouts of naked ladies that were on the wall for no reason)... Was that a script idea from the director's teenage son?

-I see someone did the "demon face" After Effects tutorial...

-To be 100% honest. I'm not sure what the hell I just watched.

Final Thoughts: I think it's safe to say that if they shot the same story at some no-name theme park in New Jersey or something, instead of Disney World, no one would give a crap. In other words: It's mostly a bad movie, but with an interesting gimmick. I can't tell if it was trying to be a slap in the face of Disney, or what? If you understood the message of this film, please feel free to tell me. I'd love to hear it. Anyway, Itchy and Scratchy Land did it better.

5 out of 10

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Escape From Tomorrow
on Oct 18, 2013 at 7:10:28 pm

You want dark and Disney, here's the master, Ken:

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Oct 18, 2013 at 8:02:29 pm

I don't know, to me it really doesn't seem that hard to film a movie in Disneyland. Maybe if I watched it I would feel differently. Disneyland is a place where they want you to use your camera to capture all of those magical memories, heck you can even bring a tripod into the park. (Folding tripod stands or monopod stands that can fit inside a standard backpack are permitted.) You should see the kick butt home video I made in Disneyland, Go pro on the rides and all sorts of fun stuff. I even asked Tinker Bell to say,"and they all lived happily ever after" so I could end the video with that sound bite. She gave me a strange look and then when I explained what I was doing she agreed. I've seen people walking around taking pictures of their kids with the type of ginormous cameras that you would see in a photo studio. To me this seems to be more of a big deal because they filmed a "naughty" movie in Disneyland. This film sounds like a stinker and I'm glad Disneyland isn't giving them the time of day.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Jeff Breuer
on Oct 22, 2013 at 6:45:32 pm

I liked the idea, the gimmick if you will, of this flick, but from all that I've read (and certainly from you Scott), the gimmick isn't worth a couple of hours. To be honest, I'm more hooked into watching Stephen's home video at this point!

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Oct 22, 2013 at 6:47:41 pm

Plus my kick butt home video is only a 2 minute commitment.

Scott, do the Small World puppets attach anyone?

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Oct 22, 2013 at 6:59:40 pm

[Stephen Smith] "Scott, do the Small World puppets attach anyone?"

Not quite, but their faces get altered to be "evil", if that counts... But on that note, I assume the director had licensing issues with using the Small World song in the movie (i.e. there was no way he's going to yuse that copyrighted song), so when they were on that ride, the music was this really annoying song that went "LALALA LAAAA LA LA LAAAAA LA LAAA LA LAAA (just a series of annoying LAAAs)". It was possibly more disturbing than the actual song.

Hey, what do ya know, I just searched on Youtube, and someone actually uploaded the scene! Yay internet! If you struggled to get through these two minutes, imagine what it was like for me to watch 102 *more* minutes than that.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Oct 22, 2013 at 11:04:23 pm

[Scott Roberts] " I assume the director had licensing issues with using the Small World song in the movie (i.e. there was no way he's going to yuse that copyrighted song)"

No licensing issues because he didn't ask. LOL

Disney is laying low, which may be a first, but I think they rightly think that the publicity for this will be gone, fast. Unlike if they go to trial with it.

I think it's also quite likely that counsel advised them that the one and only right that trumps copyright and trademark is parody, which is explicitly categorized as protected speech. Parody gets a little hazy when you bring commercial elements in -- ie, using evil-looking Small World puppets to sell cars -- but in this case, it's parodying the whole Disney experience.

We'll see if they decide to try their luck anyway. Courts are currently favorably inclined to protect rights-holders overreaching their more recent historical boundaries...but this still seems like a low percentage play with a lot of downside for Disney.

Although actually, I could see a suit of some sort. A trademark is only valid if the holder fights to protect it...then quietly settle out of court for undisclosed terms, likely along the lines of "Hey kid, don't get cocky. And go someplace else for the sequel."

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Oct 23, 2013 at 4:10:43 pm

Based upon that 2 min clip from the movie inside It's a Small World, I think it looks like a college art project. It would probably get a good grade, but as a feature it it pure rubbish. Aside from the "filmed illegally inside Disneyworld" there is nothing about the movie that looks interesting.

Speaking of video taken inside the parks, there are YouTube channels with millions of views where you can watch your favorite rides without waiting in line.

Search yourself - there are good ones and home video style ones, but even the home video style ones in the HD era are not bad.

Stephen, we are waiting for yours

Mike

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Oct 23, 2013 at 4:14:27 pm

[Tim]

[Scott Roberts] " I assume the director had licensing issues with using the Small World song in the movie (i.e. there was no way he's going to yuse that copyrighted song)"

No licensing issues because he didn't ask. LOL

I thought Scott was making a joke.

[Mike]
Stephen, we are waiting for yours

I should get it up somewhere. I still need to get my AT AT pancakes up as well. They turned out awesome!

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Kylee Peña
on Jun 24, 2014 at 3:07:46 am

So I watched this over the weekend and I agree the turkey legs are awesome.

It's pretty intriguing the lengths they went to to shoot this, getting park passes and recording audio to their iPhones and stuff and just letting audio run nonstop to capture everything. Considering the limitations, I thought it was pretty well shot.

But yeah, I have no idea WTF. WTF? WTF was this movie. I laughed out loud a lot and I still have absolutely no idea if I was supposed to. It was just ridiculous. Not even like "oh please, that's ridiculous" but like "uh, what, this is ridiculous, right? RIGHT?"

Sometimes it's so indie it hurts. But I'm somehow still glad I watched it?

I dunno you guys.

blog: kyleesportfolio.com/blog
twitter: @kyl33t
demo: kyleewall.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]