FORUMS: list search recent posts

The Karate Kid

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Smith
The Karate Kid
on Jan 28, 2010 at 9:44:44 pm

Saw the trailer to the remake of The Karate Kid.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony_pictures/karatekid/

When I first heard about this I thought, oh dear. But I have to say, I think it looks like they did the remake right. It looks like Jackie Chan is not over acting and plays more of a serious character...but at the same time there are enough jokes to make it fun. Big question, will there be one special move that when unleashed brings the bad guy to his knees?

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
Re: The Karate Kid
on Jan 28, 2010 at 10:14:47 pm

Why do they have to keep destroying beloved movies from my childhood...?? I can't imagine this being better than the original in any way. Probably won't even be better than the sequels. From what I saw in The Day the Earth Stood Still remake from a year or two ago, Will Smith's son isn't a very good actor. He's no Ralph Maccio! I also think this movie will suffer from a lack of the villainous Cobra Kai.

And to label myself as a complete nerd, the kid in this remake is learning kung fu, not karate, so this should be called The Kung Fu Kid.

INTERNET ANGER!!!

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jan 28, 2010 at 10:35:17 pm

I have to admit, I'll end up renting the movie and I'll miss the phrase, "Break his leg, Johnny!"

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Jan 29, 2010 at 4:15:36 pm

"Finish Him"

I think it might be popular if only because parents have a lack of movies to take their kids to, and who doesn't love Jackie Chan?

I don't understand why classic movies need to be recreated so frequently. There is a reason movies are considered classics - they stand the test of time.

Perhaps Hollywood is not aware of this little known fact - video tapes and DVDs are now widely available for rental and purchase, and movies like the original Karate Kid are pop culture standards.

The trailer for this new version shows that the filmmakers are making the same mistake that is made with most remakes - they are copying the original, down to the flyswatter scene. Sure it may be funny but it is not very original. I think a remake should be inspired by the original, not a regurgitation.

But when was the last time you saw true inspiration in a non-Avatar mainstream movie?

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Jan 29, 2010 at 5:31:43 pm

"But when was the last time you saw true inspiration in a non-Avatar mainstream movie?"

I'm kind of a Tarantino fanboy, so I'd like to say Inglorious Basterds, but one could argue that it's nothing but stolen ideas... But I think that all of his work is uniquely original somehow, despite the constant "borrowing".

But in terms of a truly inspired work based off another medium that was made into a mainstream movie, I gotta go with There Will Be Blood. To turn a 1927 book about the oiling industry into that masterpiece like that was inspriring.

And these remakes are getting really out of hand. They are remaking the critically acclaimed (I think Swedish?) vampire film Let the Right One In. That came out in 2008... They are remaking a film made in 2008 for release in 2010...! That's crazy! I guess they must assume most people REALLY don't want to read subtitles...

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Feb 4, 2010 at 5:25:52 am

The actual line is: "Sweep the leg, Johnny!"

Agreed this is not a movie that needed remaking, Pat Morita was awesome, Macchio, adequate. The cinematography and pacing of the edit was all note-perfect the first time.

Hollywood does remakes because in times of economic uncertainty, they like the comfort of a known property that was already proven successful once, and may have a loyal audience pre-made for it. They forget that the original movie was an unknown pitch that had to go thru all the usual development hoops and uncertainties. The studios have forgotten how to take risks because risks are no longer affordable.

Some films are re-made because they are an archtype; you have many times seen the buddy movie, the fish-out-of-water movie, the romantic triangle movie, where only the hypotenuse ever changes. These types of films keep repeating, with variations, because as humans we LOVE them; they are the same kinds of tales that have been told under trees since we came down out of them. But here's the thing; you re-make them with that underpinning as the jumping-off point, in order to explore something new and innovative from within a familiar framework. If you only slavishly re-do it the same as before, shot for shot, you really have not broken any new ground.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]