FORUMS: list search recent posts

The Crazy Ones (Robin Williams)

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
The Crazy Ones (Robin Williams)
on Sep 27, 2013 at 3:37:18 pm

Loved all the Chicago b-roll and settings, made my home town look great.
The photography and editing are very slick. Trademark David Kelley look.

I wasn't bowled over by the script or delivery. If you watched Robin "ad-lib" his McDonald's pitch, compare it to the Kodak "Carrousel" pitch in "Mad Men". I don't think it's Williams' fault so much as the dialogue he's given.

Kind of surprised McD was involved at all, and I wonder if real brands featured each week is going to be a "thing" in this show.

Robin didn't surprise me at all in this episode; the stream of consciousness bits felt rehearsed and edited. I'm giving it some room to shake out because hey, it's the first episode and it has a lot of freight to carry. In regular episodes I'll be wanting more complexity in the plots and characters. BTW, didn't like the characters, actively hated the Zach character already.

I can't imagine this show will last more than a season no matter what because Robin's too big to stay on TV now, when he can be doing movies every year.

AFter the show, flipped thru the DVR to watch "The Pitch", where real ad agencies compete for real accounts. Fascinating show.

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
Re: The Crazy Ones (Robin Williams)
on Sep 27, 2013 at 4:22:12 pm

I watched up until the first commercial break.

It appears to be an attempt at a single-camera comedic Mad Men.
While Don Draper walks into a pitch cold and somehow pulls a few moments of brilliance out of thin air, Robin Williams does the same thing using some of his 1980's stand-up schtick and a hint of humility.
Sarah Michelle Geller's sole purpose is to look awkwardly at the camera while her father makes a fool of himself yet saves the day. Robin Williams is playing the fool who always seems to save the day. We've seen this character lots of times on television.

I am intrigued enough to watch the rest of the episode, though I am not sure I'll give up any of my diminishing DVR space quite yet.

Mad Men uses real brands, so this is not a new idea to give some verisimilitude. Does McDonald's pay money as a sponsor to be included? It appears not according to this article:
http://www.deadline.com/2013/07/tca-mcdonalds-did-not-pay-to-be-the-star-of...

This reminds me, I need to try those new McDonald's wings.
Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
Re: The Crazy Ones (Robin Williams)
on Sep 29, 2013 at 12:04:25 am

Having watched the rest of the pilot, I may add this to my DVR queue if only to avoid having to use the clunky CBS website ever again.

I give the show 5 out of 10 - good concept but as funny as Robin Williams can be, I doubt every episode will allow a balance of improv and humility for his character. And the show is about Sarah Michelle trying to take the reigns from her dad. The breakout star could end up being the unnamed sidekick - the guy who gets to sing with Kelly - who appears to be Robin's comedic protege in the show.

I give it less than 1 season, although David Kelly does have a track record.

Mike

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]