FORUMS: list search recent posts

Brooklyn nine-nine on Fox

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
Brooklyn nine-nine on Fox
on Sep 24, 2013 at 2:45:30 pm

Nein.

Andre must need money really badly to be in this turkey. I hated pretty much everything from Andy Samberg, to the lighting to the script. It was like an SNL skit with a higher budget.

Normally I would pay to watch Braugher read the phone book out loud, but this was just.... ugh.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
Re: Brooklyn nine-nine on Fox
on Sep 24, 2013 at 4:22:31 pm

It's Barney Miller + Parks & Rec. I'd be shocked if that wasn't the pitch.

Score: I like it a lot more than Parks & Rec, not quite as much as Barney Miller. Call it a solid B.

My gut instinct says that it has more upside than not, and NBC has a delightful habit of sticking with shows like this a lot longer than the ratings warrant, giving them a chance to grow. I think this one really could.

Of course, I haven't seen the second episode yet. I think it takes at least 3 for you to know what you've got with a half-hour comedy, so let me scratch the B grade and call it "Incomplete." Way, way too early to either write entirely off or start clamoring for a second season.

That said, it's not uncommon for single-camera comedies to need a full season to get their legs under them. I think they looked at the 8 seasons of Barney Miller, P&R at 6, Community at 5, and are rolling the dice on 4.

But hey, most people grading most stuff make their decisions before all the facts are in anyway. LOL Grade away.

And as far as Andre Braugher goes, this is way way WAY ahead of Men Of A Certain Age (2 seasons) for me, and well ahead of Last Resort (13 eps), both of which I tuned in to for him, and both of which left me hoping that they paid him a lot of money.

This one, I like.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Sep 24, 2013 at 6:22:12 pm

Yeah, I would agree more with Tim on this one than Mark. I enjoyed the show, even though I only laughed at about a third of the jokes in the first episode. It was amusing.

But to continue Tim's point about shows needing a little time to get their legs under them, this is a show from showrunner Michael Schur, who worked on the early season episodes (i.e. the GOOD episodes) of the Office and also Parks & Rec. Those are both shows that had lackluster first seasons, but grew to greatness in the second and third seasons.

If I had to grade *just the first episode* of Brooklyn Nine Nine... hmmm... I don't know, I guess it was like a C or C+. But I'm going to stick around until the second season before I even start to bail on it, just because of Mike Schur.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Sep 24, 2013 at 9:18:22 pm

It's not Barney Miller. It's not even as good as "Fish", the spin-off. The whole thing just seems like Samberg isn't trying.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]