FORUMS: list search recent posts

Emmy Prediction Thread

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kylee Peña
Emmy Prediction Thread
on Sep 22, 2013 at 10:00:52 pm

A little late, but oh well.

I'm thinking tonight will be good for Netflix. I'm betting House of Cards gets significant attention.

It's hard not to want to give all the Emmys to Breaking Bad, but remembering what was voted upon, it doesn't seem like a sure thing. Except for Jonathan Banks. Give it to him you fools.

I wonder if 30 Rock will win all the comedy stuff since it was the final season and those tend to pick up sympathy votes. It was a good ending in my opinion, but shows like Veep and Louie are way ahead.

Speaking of Louie, I hope he gets the directing award. The episode he's nominated for was one of the best of the series. There are more women nominated in this category than men, interestingly.

And it's totally some BS that Justified is nowhere to be found. Same with Parks and Recreation, for the most part.

blog: kyleesportfolio.com/blog
twitter: @kyl33t
demo: kyleewall.com

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
Re: Emmy Prediction Thread
on Sep 22, 2013 at 11:38:34 pm

I know I always talk about It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia around here, and I'm pretty sure no one else watches it, but they just did a brilliant new episode this past week called "The Gang Desperately Tries to Win an Award". In the extremely bitter episode, the gang tries to win an award for the bar they work in, because, as they say in the show, "It's a little sad that this bar has been around so long, and has received no recognition." It's all obviously about how they never even get nominated for Emmys, despite having a cult following and having been on for 9 seasons (so far). So they investigate the other bar in town that wins all the awards, and it's a mindless, brightly colored bar, where the bartenders have vague romantic prospects with each other and the jokes are obvious and lame. In the off chance that you actually watch the episode, I won't ruin what happens at the end, but the entire thing is a glorious satire of the entire notion of who gets acknowledged for television awards, and it's probably the most meta episode they've ever done. Always Sunny rules, just sayin.

Anyway, Here's who I HOPE wins the major categories, even though I won't be watching the broadcast until much later tonight, because I want to watch Breaking Bad live, and I'll probably watch the series finale of Dexter to get that painfully bad show finally over with and out of the way. Dexter sucks, just sayin.

Best Drama Series: Breaking Bad

Best Comedy Series: 30 Rock (I have to admit, it was a really good final season, it deserves it, but Louie is a close second, Veep a close third)

Miniseries: Behind the Candleabra (it's the only one I've seen in this category, but it was pretty good)

Lead Drama Actor: Bryan Cranston

Lead Drama Actress: I guess Claire Danes? I don't really watch many of these shows other than Homeland.

Lead Comedy Actor: Louie C.K.

Lead Comedy Actress: Julia Louis Dreyfus

Supporting Drama Actor: BOBBY CANNIVALE (by the way, this is a stacked category)

Supporting Drama Actress: Emilia Clarke

Supporting Comedy Actor: Bill Hader (PLEASE)

Supporting Comedy Actress: Jane Krakowski

I hope "Dead Freight" from Breaking Bad, and "Daddy's Girlfriend" from Louie win the writing awards.

Return to posts index

Kylee Peña
Re: Emmy Prediction Thread
on Sep 23, 2013 at 12:09:41 am

It's Always Sunny is a show that I've always meant to watch but never have. I'm part of the problem, sorry. But that self-referential episode sounds great. I will watch it. I swears. Maybe.

I'm definitely with you on the writing awards. Though I'm betting more on on Say My Name for the BB episode to win.

I wish I could watch Breaking Bad live. OVERDRAMATIC SIGH.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
Re: Emmy AFTERSHOW thoughts
on Sep 23, 2013 at 5:36:18 am

OK, I've gotten through the broadcast, I just sort of started typing these notes halfway through the show instead of paying attention to the Choreography Award dance thing. Every time I glanced over during it, it was really stupid, so I have no regrets on that front. Maybe dumb, time-wasting stuff like that is why they played the "get off the stage" music after about 10 seconds during each speech...? It doesn't make much sense that the choreographer for Dancing with the Stars got more screen time than the winner of Best Lead Actor in a Drama Series... BUT THAT'S JUST ME.

On that note, the song NPH sang with Sarah Silverman and Nathian Fillion was a complete dud for me. Like, I was staring directly at the screen the entire time, and I have no idea what they did five seconds after it was done. A music number for the sake of having a music number.

The first part of the opening bit was terrible (with the room full of TVs). It looked slopped together, and the whole time I was saying "WHERE'S THE JOKES?". But the second part, with the returning hosts bickering with each other was great. Especially the Kevin Spacey part.

I normally watch these sorts of shows live, but with Breaking Bad on, I decided to DVR the Emmys and watch the best show in the history of television live instead. I must say, when I got back to the Emmys recording, the ability to fast forward through the commercials and the Carrie Underwood performance felt really good.

I don't think I was a big fan of the memoriams being spread out throughout the broadcast. It slowed things down and ruined the pacing. Don't get me wrong, I like the death tributes, but I wouldn't have tried to fix what wasn't broken. A nice 8 minute montage of concentrated sadness is the way to go (which they did later, so I don't see why they had to put favoritism on the ones they gave extended tributes to. What, are Conrad Bain and Jack Klugman not good enough for you?!))

The girl who won for Nurse Jackie... Hmmmm... I must ask, what is Nurse Jackie? I don't even know what channel it's on. And in all the clips they've ever played, it has never come across as a comedy. Her speech was kind of funny, though.

Jim Parsons? Really? Again? I... whatever... Not worth complaining about again... But, damn... Really? He's better than Louis C.K. in their eyes?

It's kind of sad/annoying that Bob Newhart's first win ever was for a guest appearance on The Big Bang Theory... But I thought he was his usual charming awkward self during the broadcast. He seems like a really great guy.

Tony Hale and Julia Louis Dreyfus were great wins. I like Veep a lot, and I thought the two of them together during Julia's speech was awesome. The whole time I was just waiting for him to whisper into her ear.

Also I liked that no Modern Family actors won anything this year. I'm sick of their 3 nominees in each acting category BS every time the Emmys come around. WATCH SOME OTHER SHOWS, ACADEMY. COUGH Always Sunny COUGH Charlie Day COUGH COUGH COUGH. Sorry, I have a bad case of bitterness. I caught it from Jim Parsons.

What was up with Zooey Dechanel's face? Was she high?

I guess I'm not mad that Jeff Daniels won over Bryan Cranston, he's really good on The Newsroom. And I'm a fan of him in general, so it was nice that he got an award for a change. His AARP jokes were pretty funny too.

Anna Gunn was a nice, unexpected win. Floating dispassionately in swimming pools = awards.

Kevin Spacey slapping the camera with a piece of paper was a funny random moment.

Bobby Cannivale winning was awesome. He totally deserved it. He was one of the most entertaining TV bad guys I've ever seen. But that category was loaded with people I also would have been happy to see win. Mainly, it would have been nice to hear a speech from Mike Ehrmantraut.

That's the first time Stephen Colbert beat Jon Stewart, right? I'm definitely tuning into The Colbert Report tomorrow to watch the inevitable hilarious arrogance.

I'm cool with movie dudes like David Fincher and Steven Soderbergh winning stuff at the TV awards. Almost doesn't seem fair, though. Side note: Soderbergh *always* seems like an angry guy to me, even when he wins stuff. Anybody else feel that way too?

I'm kind of indifferent on Homeland at this point. I watch it, I'm engaged, but it's just not like a GREAT show to me, yet. HOWEVER, that Q&A episode was probably the second best episode of the show (behind the season 1 finale), so I understand why it won for best writing. Do I personally think it was better than the Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones episodes it was up against? No. But I understand why it won.

Michael Douglas deserved the Behind the Candleabra win. The double entendre jokes he said to Matt Damon during his speech were pretty funny, too.

I guess I'm not surprised that Behind the Candleabra won so many (and the best) made-for-TV-movie awards. It's a movie that could have been released in theaters. It had the director and the star power. Had that been the case, it wouldn't have won any film awards, but since it's at the Emmys, it gets them all. It's kind of like an NFL team playing against a Canadian Football League team. Because even the worst team in the NFL will beat the best team in the CFL. Behind the Candleabra is like the Jacksonville Jaguars, and every other nominee in that category is like the Toronto Ruffriders.

Haha, Will Ferrell's babysitter schtick was pretty good, and didn't go on very long.

The Best Comedy Series category had three deserving shows, and three undeserving ones. Modern Family winning is one from the latter category. LAME. (at least it wasn't Big Bang Theory). Some random Modern Family season simply could not have possibly been better than the hilarious, heartwarming FINAL season of 30 Rock. It just couldn't have. I refuse to believe that.

But then Breaking Bad winning Best Drama Series redeems the awards show significantly (YEUH). If Homeland won again, I would have rioted (or just gone to sleep disgruntled). Emmys, you can pull the same crap every year with Modern Family in the comedy category, we're all used to it, but at some point you simply HAVE to just recognize the better show. They did that here, at least.

So in honor of James Cromwell winning tonight... That'll do, pig. That'll do.

Return to posts index

Kylee Peña
on Sep 24, 2013 at 4:57:56 pm

I think you pretty much covered everything I ever thought. Right down to the Babe reference.

Get out of my head.

I did not dig the eulogies at all. So weird and slow and depressing. Just do the usual dead people parade with the tacky clapping and move on.

Same with the weird history lesson and self-important segment about 60s television. What did that have to do with anything? The way it was arranged in the show along with all the other dead people, it seemed like yet another eulogy. Which actually works for me, hahaha.

Modern Family winning awards over Veep or Louie is ridiculous. Same ol' junk. Same with Jim Parsons. That performance was better than Alec Baldwin or Louis CK?

I was reading about Tina Fey's co-writer on the season finale of 30 Rock, Tracey Wigfield, because she looked like a little kid. She started as a bathroom page in the basement for Letterman and managed to become a staff writer within a year or two. She's 29! I'm so unaccomplished.

And most importantly, the dresses. Claire Danes' gown was kinda weird and looked uncomfortable. I liked Michelle Dockery and Anna Gunn the most. And I dug Lena Dunham's printed dress. An odd cut of a dress, but who cares, this is all silly. Best dressed dude was Jon Hamm's beard. And Elton John.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Sep 24, 2013 at 6:01:49 pm

[Kylee Wall] "I think you pretty much covered everything I ever thought. Right down to the Babe reference. Get out of my head."

Hey, if we both immediately thought of the movie Babe upon seeing James Cromwell's face, then I'm going to go with the "great minds think alike" sentiment.

[Kylee Wall] "Same with the weird history lesson and self-important segment about 60s television. What did that have to do with anything?"

Is that what that was? I didn't know the context of what was going on, because I started to fast forward pretty early on in that segment. I did stop for one second because I was curious as to why the Beatles were behind Carrie Underwood, and I wanted to hear what she was singing. I mean, I even really like the song "Yesterday", but I immediately went back to fast forwarding.

[Kylee Wall] "Same with Jim Parsons. That performance was better than Alec Baldwin or Louis CK?"

It's weird, I don't see how they can look at Parsons' broad, corny delivery, and then look at Louie or Baldwin (or Bill Hader to an extent), actually *acting* with a level of talent and subtlety, and still be like "YEAH PARSONS GETS THE AWARD". I suppose they can't just give all the awards to the (more-deserving) little shows that the dumb mass of America doesn't watch, or else they might not tune into the Emmys again next year. That's just my guess. That they don't want the slack jawed yokel tuning in with his BAZINGA t-shirt finishing watching the show saying, "I never seen any of the shows that there won this night, by golly! And why wasn't Charlie Sheen nominated for anything? Winning! Hurr hurr hurr hurrr."

[Kylee Wall] "She started as a bathroom page in the basement for Letterman and managed to become a staff writer within a year or two. She's 29! I'm so unaccomplished."

WHA? Now *that's* a career transition I'm interested in hearing about in full detail!

[Kylee Wall] "Best dressed dude was Jon Hamm's beard."

So thick. So black. I'm so envious. [spends the next two hours yelling at the two parts of my face that aren't growing in my beard to its fullest]

Return to posts index

Kylee Peña
on Sep 25, 2013 at 12:20:30 am

Here's an interview with Tracey Wigfield from a few years ago. I haven't found anything more recent yet, but hopefully someone will interview her in more detail because she sounds like she's had an interesting few years.

Also jk she's 30 (barely), so that's like way older than 29 and I don't feel extremely lazy and unaccomplished anymore. WHEW.

http://therumpus.net/2010/06/super-hot-prof-on-student-word-sex-3-the-rumpu...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]