FORUMS: list search recent posts

Thankful for Breaking Bad

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Griffin
Thankful for Breaking Bad
on Aug 27, 2013 at 1:29:30 pm

We should all be thankful for Breaking Bad, easily one of, if not the best series yet on commercial TV. That said we should also be extremely thankful that the show's writers/producers are employed as writers and not as the incredibly innovative criminals they've created.

I've started making a list of "events" in Breaking Bad that simply have NEVER been seen on a fictional TV show. So far after show 10 of season 5 I'm up to 15 completely unique crimes.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
Re: Thankful for Breaking Bad
on Aug 28, 2013 at 7:39:54 pm

I'm loving this last season. Putting aside the fact that the writers no doubt have tons of surprises left in store for us, do you think that Jesse's frantic meltdown is happening a little early? Though, I guess the same thing could be said for Hank's investigation... I guess I don't know what I'm saying, just that the last 5 episodes are going to be insane and I have no idea how it's going to end, which is awesome.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Aug 28, 2013 at 7:47:06 pm

[Nick Griffin] "We should all be thankful for Breaking Bad, easily one of, if not the best series yet on commercial TV. That said we should also be extremely thankful that the show's writers/producers are employed as writers and not as the incredibly innovative criminals they've created."

What makes you think they're not part-timers? :)

The creator of Showtime's Ray Donovan was arrested a few weeks back for running an illegal gambling establishment in L.A..

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
on Aug 29, 2013 at 10:02:51 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "The creator of Showtime's Ray Donovan was arrested a few weeks back"

Given the moral tone of both the character and the show in general, why does this not surprise me? Ray Donovan is interesting in a Charles Bronson/Death Wish kind of way because he wields power in ways that we'd all like to but, at least so far, the show doesn't have a great depth. In other words, he's no Walter White.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Aug 30, 2013 at 3:47:01 pm

[Nick Griffin] "Ray Donovan is interesting in a Charles Bronson/Death Wish kind of way because he wields power in ways that we'd all like to but, at least so far, the show doesn't have a great depth. In other words, he's no Walter White."

I wouldn't disagree with this Nick, but Ray Donovan does have a lot of potential. Unfortunately, due to the ongoing dispute between CBS and Time Warner I haven't even been able to see Ray Donovan for the last several weeks to see where the series is headed or what its potential really is.

David Roth Weiss
ProMax Systems
Burbank
DRW@ProMax.com

Sales | Integration | Support

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Aug 28, 2013 at 7:58:12 pm

Hey Nick, Take a look at this article about one of the editors of Breaking Bad: http://www.c2meworld.com/creation/breaking-down-breaking-bad/.

BTW, why the heck do I not have your email address??? Please send it to me at my ProMAX email below...

- DRW

David Roth Weiss
ProMax Systems
Burbank
DRW@ProMax.com

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Kylee Peña
on Aug 30, 2013 at 2:30:19 pm

This season is so great. So many minor callbacks to previous scenes and dialog. Things are happening so much different than I ever would have guessed. Hank and Walt's showdown in the first episode back? My body was not ready.

And Walt, that evil evil genius. He's done so much terrible loathsome stuff in 4 seasons. Why the hell am I applauding him when he's figured out how to outsmart a DEA agent!? Especially when just moments before, he was manipulating his poor son? WTF, I must be sick.

I can't wait to see what Vince Gillian does next.

Any predictions for where the show is going? I love reading fan theories for BB. They're so far out, and they're never even close.

blog: kyleesportfolio.com/blog
twitter: @kyl33t
demo: kyleewall.com

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Sep 6, 2013 at 7:10:20 pm

I will not read the rest of this thread yet. We just started watching this show a few days ago. So far we are up to Season 2, the episode with the turtle.

Wow - just really well written and acted.

It has hints of Weeds, but that was almost a comedy. Very little that is funny about this show, although there are some light hearted moments.

I like it so far.

Mike Cohen

PS - I am not sure, but this could be the reason I started watching it:

Found this clip - there seem to be spoilers so I am not watching it

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Sep 20, 2013 at 2:53:48 pm

We are on Season 6 episode 1, now using Amazon to catch up on final season.
I'll be cleared to join the full conversation in a few days.

So far all I can say is WOW. Any I will be doing more POV shots in the future!

TTYL

Mike

Return to posts index

Kylee Peña
on Sep 14, 2013 at 8:45:08 pm

Vince Gilligan has said this Sunday's episode is possibly the best in the series. And I didn't realize until yesterday that it was directed by Rian Johnson (who also directed "The Fly" a couple seasons ago...and Brick and Looper, but you nerds know that). Just wanted to bring it to this forum's attention, as if you aren't going to be watching anyway.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Sep 16, 2013 at 4:09:57 pm

[Kylee Wall] "Vince Gilligan has said this Sunday's episode is possibly the best in the series"

It certainly was the most disturbing episode in the series...

David Roth Weiss
ProMax Systems
Burbank
DRW@ProMax.com

Return to posts index

Kylee Peña
on Sep 18, 2013 at 1:28:44 am

For such a disturbing episode, it had a shockingly minimal amount of onscreen violence. It's amazing to me that the show seems to be getting progressively less visually violent. This is a show where a tortoise with a decapitated head had an IED buried in it. But now we get death and destruction, see none of it, and still feel incredibly disturbed because the show is so emotionally messed the hell up.

AWESOME. SO AWESOME.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Sep 19, 2013 at 9:21:06 pm

Cool fun fact I didn't know until after the last awesome episode: It was directed by Rian Johnson (director of Looper and Brick). And he ALSO directed another one of my favorite episodes of Breaking bad: The Fly.

It's pretty cool when film directors come in and direct TV show episodes, and it often goes unnoticed and/or unannounced. Does anyone remember than Martin Scorsese directed the pilot for Boardwalk Empire?

On that note, Boardwalk Empire is setting itself up for another great season as well after 2 episodes.

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Sep 23, 2013 at 5:53:52 pm

Ok campers I am now among the majority who has seen all episodes of Breaking Bad except for the finale as of this writing. Watching 6 seasons wall to wall over a couple of weeks made me want to leave work on time so I could snuggle up with my sweetie and watch a few episodes. She is as enthralled as I am, and we both are a little upset that we never watched it.

Anyway, agree with the other comments, and will add:

One has to assume the whole arc was known at the outset. Love how they set the climax of To'hajiilee in that particular location. Quite a shocking, but maybe not so shocking turn of events. All along it has been Walt has absolutely nothing to lose so everyone else is on the table"

Walt is a likeable villain, not unlike people loving Tony Montana - he is ruthless and protects his interests at all costs.

The cinematography is just breathtaking. On our Roku the shows at 1080p on a Samsung LCD, especially the scenes out in the desert, are just incredible.

We could do a whole thread about the clever shots and angles.

Or just watch this:

Ok, gotta go find something to do until next Sunday.

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Sep 23, 2013 at 6:02:27 pm

Speaking of cinematography:

http://library.creativecow.net/kaufman_debra/Behind-the-Lens-Michael-Slovis...

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Sep 23, 2013 at 6:10:42 pm

[Mike Cohen] "The cinematography is just breathtaking. "

We happen to have done an article with DP Michael Slovis.

Highly recommended reading for many, many reasons beyond the obvious. You'll dig it.

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
Re: Thankful for Breaking Bad - Spoilers
on Sep 30, 2013 at 6:42:55 pm

Do we start a new thread for the finale, or just keep going?
I vote we keep going

If you have not seen the finale, STOP READING

I predicted that Walt would rescue Jesse and probably die in the process.

Unexpected was the scene with Skyler where Walt admits he did it for himself. Excellent camera move in that scene - proves that blocking can help tell a good story.

Great post-show show with Talking Bad.

During a commercial break I went to the fridge and revealed my secret dessert - Breaking Bad Jello:

It was sweet and pure and oh so blue!

Mike Cohen

PS - Incredible previews for new Tom Hanks and Aaron Paul movies!

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Sep 30, 2013 at 6:45:52 pm

Mike,

May I suggest that you edit your post and put "SPLOILER ALERT" in the subject field???

DRW

David Roth Weiss
ProMax Systems
Burbank
DRW@ProMax.com

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Sep 30, 2013 at 7:49:58 pm

I was really happy that they wrapped everything up, in a pretty tidy manner mind you, and I wasn't at all upset about it. Everything worked out in Walt's favor one way or another. And he did it in his usual, sneaky, manipulative way. I thought it was interesting that he still achieved his goal of the very first episode, to get his family a lot of money right before he died, in the series finale.

Here's some other random things I enjoyed and/or found interesting about the finale:

-One last cameo from Badger and Skinny Pete.

-I got a little emotional during Walt's visit with Holly. Questionable choice on the camo pants, though, Walt Jr.

-He didn't even look like Bryan Cranston anymore. Great makeup/costuming.

-The show did a good job making the Schwartz couple look so pretentious that it was hard NOT to root for Walt in that scene.

-Marie was pretty incorrect in saying Walt wasn't a criminal mastermind.

-Seeing Todd go out in a slightly longer, and more agonizing way was pretty satisfying, as disturbing as that is to say. Aaron Paul's response to finally killing Todd was hilarious on Talking Bad.

-Not sure Lydia deserved to get slow poisoned to death, I think she was more worthy of jail time. But the badass way that Walt informed her over the phone kind of made me smile.

-Jesse laughing hysterically as he drove away from his meth prison was one of my favorite shots of the series. GOOD FOR JESSE.

All in all, I thought it was a really fun finale. And Mike, I'm envious of your Heisenberg Jello!

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Sep 30, 2013 at 8:20:42 pm

Also, this is great:

http://www.uproxx.com/tv/2013/09/breaking-bad-character-first-laugh-gifs/

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Sep 30, 2013 at 9:50:02 pm

Heisenberg Jello - good named for it.

Seeing as Dexter stole the ending of Dark Knight Rises, I should point out that Jesse killed Todd exactly the way Leia killed Jabba the Hutt. Is there no originality ?! :)

Below is how Walt and Jesse were originally going to escape...

Return to posts index

Kylee Peña
on Sep 30, 2013 at 10:29:47 pm

The finale had 10.3 million viewers. The previous episode had 6.6 million.

The season 4 finale had 1.9 million.

http://tvline.com/2013/09/30/breaking-bad-ratings-series-finale-10-million-...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]