FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ben Affleck

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Cohen
Ben Affleck
on Aug 23, 2013 at 5:33:59 am

I did a search to make sure we have not already had a thread about him.

This one might be like the recent Bruce Willis thread.

Bennifer has done some decent acting, won an oscar, directed 2 decent movies, and has acted in numerous pieces of garbage, including a really bad super hero movie.

Now it is being reported that he will be the next actor to play Batman in the long awaited Batman/Superman movie.

The fan boy community uttered a collective "ughh".

Talk amongst yourselves.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Ben Affleck
on Aug 23, 2013 at 3:28:31 pm

I say calm down. Nobody thought Keaton would be a good Batman at first, but he was. Everybody was don on Ledger's Joker before they saw what he did.

I may be the only guy that liked the daredevil movie, but I say give Affleck a chance here: his skills have only improved since "the Town".

More important to me is that they get a decent script and plot going between Bats and Supes.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Aug 23, 2013 at 4:42:51 pm

I'm with you Mark...except on the Dare Devil thing :-) I think Ben has the chops to make it work. Lots of people thought Anne Hathaway would make a terrible Cat Women, and they where wrong.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Aug 23, 2013 at 6:11:19 pm

[Stephen Smith] "I'm with you Mark...except on the Dare Devil thing :-)"

I liked Daredevil too. :-) Like almost every superhero movie, it was 20 minutes too long, but his fight with Jennifer Garner on the playground was crazy hot, in quite a few senses of the word.

The movie was also a bit ponderous, which is the main thing that sank the Elektra movie I think -- heavy as lead, and no fun to watch at all. A shame.

My reaction to Ben was, "Interesting. Let's see what Zack is up to." Because that's the real question to me: I like Affleck as a choice in general, but what does Snyder want to DO with Batman? He's been saying that Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns as his inspiration for Batman this time out, but THAT, I have some problems with. Ben is too young -- the bitter deranged psycho who disappeared for ten years shows back up at age 55. I'm not sure that Ben can look that old yet. :-)

But two great quotes from Snyder at Comic-Con:

“We’re actually not sure whether the title is Superman vs. Batman or Batman vs. Superman but yes, it’s–that rematch, that combination, the two guys onscreen and that’s happening.”

Because, lest you forget, the two were enemies -- and Batman got the BETTER of Superman. Snyder read aloud to the assembled crowd what, to me, is the money quote, which is Batman saying to Superman

I want you to remember, Clark, in all the years to come, in your most private moments -- I want you to remember my hand at your throat. I want you to remember the he one man who beat you.

Snyder didn't read the sentence just before that, when Batman says to Superman, "You're a joke."

THAT's badass.

Snyder was quick to point out that his movie isn't going to follow the PLOT of Dark Knight Returns -- that's just his inspiration for the Batman that will appear in this movie, with -- as his first quote mentions -- some kind of conflict between them.

So as I circle back to Ben, take a look at Miller's picture of the scene around the quote above. VERY much worth clicking to enlarge.

I mean, that's pretty *ucking hard core -- especially where he calls Superman "Clark." It's like he's not even acknowledging Supe's "super-ness" at all. Superman is ONLY Clark. Day-yum.

Note: 1) Superman's gray granddad moustache, and b) the panel with Superman FLATLINING, and Bruce grimacing in...I guess you'd call it triumph over Superman's lifeless body.

I'd LOVE to see that in a movie...but I'm afraid that once again, we'll see Batman placed way back from the brink, and Superman played as a hero, rather than as what Batman called "a joke." Indeed, in one comic universe, Batman actually KILLS Superman.

Of course, since it's a Superman movie, I can see not playing him as complete buffoon, and I conceded that it's way too early to kill him...and certainly Henry Cavill is far too young for a grandpa 'stache -- but there's still room for Batman to be a dangerously unhinged psycho that the government is trying to actually take down altogether...even if I'm a little concerned that Ben's cherubic visage is going to make "55 year old psycho" a stretch.

Maybe, with Ben only 41 (!!!), Zack's version of Batman is to tee up that Batman is ABOUT to disappear for 10 years, rather than Miller's vision of the 55 year-old who HAS disappeared for 10 years.

And THAT's my hesitation with Snyder's pick of Ben. I think Ben can play **A** Superman, and have it work really really well. But a full-on burn-out 55 year old madman like Miller's version of The Dark Knight? Hmmm....not seeing that quite as clearly.

But in a way that inclines me to want to see it, and want it to be good.

Say, wouldn't it be great if this movie was as hardcore and visually arresting as 300? Not the SAME look of course, but something that bold. Tarantino went there with Miller's Sin City...and again, not a look that would be right for this I think...but this last Cavil joint had nothing of the stylistic flair that I want to see from a comic book movie, and Snyder in particular.

More, please.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Aug 23, 2013 at 6:29:55 pm

Um, it's Bruce Wayne flatlining in that panel; he's having a heart attack and Clark could see it earlier in the fight with his x-ray vision, but Wayne/Batman is using Superman's sense of fair play against him there... and he's actually faking the heart attack medically, so Superman can "kill" Batman, officially, and walk away without lying about it. Wayne revives shortly after when Alfred recovers the body. Playing Possum.

As to what a movie would use for a plot, if not the actual Miller book... well, they both stand for justice, in their own ways. The conflict has to be about how they achieve that justice, and justice for "whom". Batman is not above some problems solving themselves, and about pushing the limits of human rights and police procedure. Superman has the advantage of invulnerability, so he can take bigger personal risks to bring in a criminal. They are both going to have some kind of fight over the same prize, I reckon. That could be Lois, but that's too caveman for me. I think it will be over a classic style villain or terrorist, and it will be set as an analogue of the debate going on now about the NSA and privacy and drone strikes, set on the super-hero level. Superman likely stands for the government and authority, Batman, for decentralized power and individual action. Lex Luthor might work in this, but it would have to be a Lex unlike any we've seen before.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Aug 24, 2013 at 6:50:20 am

Fun clip from the LA Times back in the day:

Mr. Mom as Batman?
July 03, 1988

So Michael Keaton has been cast as Batman/Bruce Wayne?

He might have made a good Joker, but his comic style, which he seems unable to shake (but can amplify), has doomed this promised “serious” treatment of Bob Kane’s character to the same tired, boring level of artificial “camp” that made the TV series a hit yet simultaneously doomed it to an early cancellation.

The painful lesson of “Superman III”–when you don’t treat venerable superheroes with respect the audience rejects the property–has been ignored in this cynical, opportunistic attempt to capitalize on the success of “Beetlejuice” (same director, same star).

The Sam Hamm script that director Tim Burton is filming has many blunders, but does treat the characters basically seriously. Obviously, in casting Keaton, Burton is rejecting this approach altogether and going after a manic comedy.

Batman has been a popular character for almost five decades–not because he is a figure of comedy, but precisely because he is not , especially in the last couple of years. By ignoring this, by casting a clown as Batman, Warner Bros. and Burton have defecated on the history of Batman and on the hopes of those who appreciate the character and his potential.

Better they should have filmed Frank Miller’s “Batman: the Dark Knight Returns.” But that would have required courage, taste and imagination.

ALLAN B. ROTHSTEIN

So there you go. :-)

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Aug 24, 2013 at 7:06:11 am

Also announced today - Bryan Cranston as Lex Luthor.

So yeah, there's that....

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Aug 24, 2013 at 3:53:33 pm

Cranston Luthor = automatic upgrade to the movie, and a better chance it's going to be awesome.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Aug 26, 2013 at 3:41:37 pm

I'm not concerned about Affleck as Batman so much, because obviously the guy has been a better actor in recent years than he used to be. At least making better choices. Hey, I remember at one point of my life, I hated DiCaprio, now I get pumped when he puts out a new movie. At the very least, it might be slightly comical to hear Batman with a mild Boston accent (Affleck can't get rid of it completely, he just CAN'T).

But the aspect of this news I'm *most* concerned with is the fact that it's another Zack Snyder movie. The guy has officially fallen out of my good graces. I loved Dawn of the Dead, I liked 300, I loved Watchmen. Those are all movies that came out 2009 or earlier, and the three films he's made since are the owl movie (I actually watched a bunch of it on HBO one day, it was pretty bad), Sucker Punch (one of the worst films of all time, but not in an unintentionally funny way). And Man of Steel. Which, in MY opinion, had a lot of potential, to which Snyder PERSONALLY squandered with his decisions. I don't know, I can't really trust the guy at this point. He's made 6 films, and half of them are not good. And the half that aren't good are also the three latest ones. Dude's on a decline. I'll see Batman vs Superman, but that's because I see all of that kind of crap, but I'm not expecting much at this point, which may actually benefit it when the time comes.

[Tim Wilson] "Also announced today - Bryan Cranston as Lex Luthor.

So yeah, there's that...."

Clark Kent better tread lightly.

Return to posts index

Jeff Breuer
on Aug 29, 2013 at 6:00:04 pm

I think Ben can play a good Batman, I think it is ironic though that he already played Superman (Hollywoodland) and now he is playing Batman fighting Superman. That means he should know his weak spots, right?

My only concern with Ben playing the caped crusader is all of the crap that is going on right now. Ben is talented and has really showed it in his post Bennifer, falling out with the public. Now that he is back doing big time summer blockbusters I will hear about him non-stop and I don't want that.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]