FORUMS: list search recent posts

The Writers' Room

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Roberts
The Writers' Room
on Aug 5, 2013 at 10:59:50 pm

Just alerting everyone of the presence of a new great show, called The Writers' Room, on Sundance Channel (a channel in the 500s on my cable box).

It's basically just a panel discussion with all the writers of a featured TV show. Extremely interesting. Last week was the first episode, and it had all the writers from Breaking Bad (and Bryan Cranston!). The next episode airs tonight, and it has the writers from Parks & Recreation. The week after that is Dexter.

Also, it's hosted by Jim Rash (Dean Pelton from Community, also Oscar winning writer of The Descendants and The Way, Way Back). Which is awesome.

It's good stuff for TV lovers!

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
Re: The Writers' Room
on Aug 6, 2013 at 11:50:19 am

I just discovered this last week while searching for something completely unrelated. Yes it is a nice concept, dirt cheap to produce and fun to watch. I think shows like this, the Talking Dead and the like will become more popular as cable networks realize there is a market for non-episodic television.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Aug 6, 2013 at 2:07:17 pm

I liked it okay, but was frustrated that the discussions were a bit on the superficial side. I want more detail on how they approached a particular problem, character, or issue, and more details about process, rather than how cool the show is and how awesome it is to be working on it.

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
on Aug 6, 2013 at 5:27:13 pm

[Mark Suszko] "frustrated that the discussions were a bit on the superficial side"

It's hard to disagree on this Mark, but let's get real: it's a 30 minute (under 23 after commercial breaks, intro, bumpers & credits). How much depth can we expect in such a truncated format?

That said, and at the risk of repeating myself, the book Difficult Men by Brett Martin is an extremely well researched and well written look inside the productions of many of today's "Third Golden Age of Television" shows.

And because its you Mark, I'll personally reimburse you the $11.99 cost of the iBook if you're not also intrigued by Difficult Men. It's that good. And: 1) No, I have no connection to the author, the publisher or their PR firm; 2) My offer of reimbursement only applies to my friend Mark.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Aug 7, 2013 at 4:43:02 pm

You talked me into it Nick, with your guarantee. It's going in my Amazon wish list.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Aug 7, 2013 at 11:58:54 pm

[Mark Suszko] "I liked it okay, but was frustrated that the discussions were a bit on the superficial side. I want more detail on how they approached a particular problem, character, or issue, and more details about process, rather than how cool the show is and how awesome it is to be working on it."

I thought the Parks & Rec episode was kind of that way, but that's probably because it was a looser group of people. But I thought the Breaking Bad episode tackled a lot of issues with the actual writing, about how they would write themselves into a corner, and have to write their way out, and such. I don't know, it's not a bad 30 minutes of TV, even though what Nick said is true: it is only 30 minutes.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]