FORUMS: list search recent posts

Prime time Emmys!

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kylee Peña
Prime time Emmys!
on Jul 18, 2013 at 11:28:37 pm

I've been so busy this month I completely forgot about the Emmy nominations hitting this morning. Usually I'm refreshing the page waiting for updates.

I'm super excited that Veep is getting lots of attention. It's a very smart show considering how obscene some of the dialogue is. It's a lot like the West Wing, but with absolutely no politics. I love it a lot.

Arrested Development back in the nominations makes me so happy. And an editing nom!

Speaking of editing noms, Louis CK has another. I find this awesome because editors were complaining he needed a real editor to cut that show. Apparently not, bitches. I would give him every award he's nominated for, the last season finale of Louie was outstandingly surreal TV.

The most underrated show that got a nom IMO: Parks and Rec. I just watched it again and it's amazingly solid work. The best comedy on a network.

Which leads me to note: how bout them drama series noms? AMC, PBS, Netflix, HBO....HA.

Only problem with Netflix shows is that they appear to be knocking Justified out of the running dammit.

I should watch Downton Abbey.

And that's my random thoughts. Discuss.

blog: kyleesportfolio.com/blog
twitter: @kyl33t
demo: kyleewall.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Prime time Emmys!
on Jul 19, 2013 at 2:21:47 pm

Agree on Louis C.K., his multipart quest to become a talk show host was really solid story-telling, and liked his ending, which was not some storybook fantasy, yet still very affirming and satisfactory, and true to the established character. All my stress comes from the collaborative aspects of this medium, and I have mad respect for someone who can pull off the actual "auteur" thing as much as Louis has.

I hope The Venture Bros. got a nomination; I LOVE that show.

Very pleased that Netflix did so well with 'House Of Cards", BTW. It may encourage this distribution model and make more quality shows accessible outside the studio system.

I have to say though, that outside of the implications for helping a show stay on the air, I don't care if the shows I like win or not. Emmys and Oscars are very political; because of that, getting nominated tells me more about a show being good, than actually winning the statue does.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
Re: Prime time Emmys!
on Jul 24, 2013 at 3:11:56 pm

The Good:

-Bryan Cranston and Jeff Daniels for best drama actor.

-Emilia Clarke for Game of Thrones, simply for that one episode where she flipped a switch.

-Bobby Cannavale NEEDS to win for Boardwalk Empire.

-Whoa, "Dead Freight" vs. "The Rains of Castamere"... That's a fun debate.

-Jason Bateman and Louis C.K. are awesome. Agreed all things mentioned by you two. Louis also deserves the guest role award for SNL simply for the "Lincoln" sketch.

-Melissa Leo was also fantastic on her Louie guest role.

-BILL HADER.

-The best comedy category is slowwwwwwwwwwwwwly getting better. Veep getting in is awesome, I agree.

-Behind the Candelabra was pretty entertaining.

The Bad:

-For a minute there I thought House of Cards was House of Lies, and I was like "Whaaaat? That show wasn't that good...", then I realized it was Cards, not Lies. So I actually haven't gotten around to watching House of Cards yet, but regardless, I pretty much guarantee that the past season of Boardwalk Empire deserved to be nominated over it for best drama series. It was a fantastic season.

-Still with the Jim Parsons? Go away Jim Parsons.

-Still with nominating Modern Family with three supporting actor noms every year? Go away Modern Family.

-People still watch Smash and Glee?

-Everyone knows Tommy Bergeron's best hosting gig is AFV, not Dancing With the Stars.

The Missing:

-How Charlie Day from Always Sunny never gets nominated is beyond me.

-No Will Arnett from Arrested Development...? [hello darkness my old friend]

-WHERE IS NICK OFFERMAN'S NOMINATION?

-Jaime Lannister deserved a nomination.

-This past season of Walking Dead was a huge step up from the other two seasons.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]