FORUMS: list search recent posts

I just gave you $50 million. What film would you make (or remake)?

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kylee Peña
I just gave you $50 million. What film would you make (or remake)?
on Jul 6, 2013 at 2:22:58 am

You had a bank error in your favor or a deliriously rich twice removed uncle die, or an anonymous benefactor likes what you write on the Internet in forums about film and television. In any case, you have $50 million to make a movie you want to make. I'd say this is a medium-ish budget...you can do some things, if you know what you're doing. Not major things -- you probably aren't doing Avatar 2. Unless your vision is a lot different than number one.

What film do you make or remake?

I think I would put it all into a satirical film. There aren't enough recent good parodies. They're all mass produced self-referential crap like Not Another Teen Movie 7. I'm thinking more like Airplane. I'd buy myself a good medium level actor with awesome comedic timing, cast unknowns the rest of the way, and figure out the rest. It could be like Cabin in the Woods, but not bad.

Either that or I'd find some hidden story gem in the public domain and make that.

blog: kyleesportfolio.com/blog
twitter: @kyl33t
demo: kyleewall.com

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
Re: I just gave you $50 million. What film would you make (or remake)?
on Jul 7, 2013 at 5:42:17 pm

I get the impression that actual Hollywood players don't read internet forums, otherwise we'd all be hard at work on a string of blockbusters.

Anyway, I'd like to finance 50 $1,000,000 movies. You only need to get a table at any restaurant in LA to find a recent film school grad with big ideas. Let's invest in some new talent, as the old guard in Hollywood are not doing much with all of their clout.

If I had to make one movie, it would be about a group of production folks who all know each other, but only via their writings on an internet movie appreciation forum. They decide amongst themselves to create the best movie ever based upon their self-proclaimed collective expertise about what makes a great movie. Each of these people has a specific talent - writing, cinematography, lighting, sound, directing - the website finances the film with the CEO of the website serves as producer.

Well, it turns out working together in person is a lot different that trading quips about Johnny Depp movies, and chaos ensues. Given the generous budget provided by the website, the group manage to hire several B-list actors like Jason Biggs, Steve Guttenberg, Nick Stahl, and Neve Campbell. The actors play personifications of themselves. The movie comes out great and is premiered at Sundance to rave reviews. The B-listers find renewed fame but overshadow the ambitious filmmakers who retreat back into obscurity and continue their friendships electronically right back where they started.

I'll be the writer. Anyone volunteer to direct?

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jul 8, 2013 at 3:06:30 pm

Two of my favorite plays is "The Nerd" and "The Foreigner". Both written by Larry Shue. Jim Carry would be perfect for the role in the Nerd. If you have not seen them and every get a chance you should.

Stephen Smith - Follow me on Behance

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Jul 17, 2013 at 12:09:39 am

Has anyone ever made Catcher in the Rye into a film? I'd like to do that. But set it on the moon. And make Holden a cyborg. And change the entire plot to some sort of animated space romance set to Smashmouth. What? Oh, you'd like me to exit Hollywood? Ok. Is it this door? Oh- that door? Ok, thanks for the opportunity.

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Aug 2, 2013 at 9:46:31 pm

Does it have to be a film?

I'd love to do a well budgeted TV series that follows the greatest crime fiction trilogy in American literature; American tabloid, the cold six thousand and then bloods a rover by James Ellroy.

If no TV series are allowed, ill go with a remake of big trouble in little china. Love that film.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]