FORUMS: list search recent posts

Saving Lincoln

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
Saving Lincoln
on Jun 30, 2013 at 1:04:48 am

You probably missed this one, but as TV people you should give it a spin some night.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2034098/

Directed by Salvatore Litvak, this movie is almost entirely green-screen, the hook being that all the replacement shots filling the green screen are actual period photos from Lincoln's time. I found this to sometimes work very well, and sometimes not so much, I think the biggest problem I had with it was that the live action is in muted color while most of the backgrounds are left blacks and white. I think this would have been 100 times better, had Litvak kept everything in monochrome; the mixied color and monochrome gives more of a comic-book effect sometimes, and the occasional CGI shots are sometimes not that great.

Which is not to say I hated the movie: in fact, I got over the color issues in about the first reel, and concentrated on the actors, plot, and performances, some of which are quite captivating.

Tom Amandes does a credible Lincoln, though he's never as tall as you want him to look. The film really revolves around Lincoln's friend and bodyguard, Lea Coco, and I enjoyed looking thru this perspective on stories that were already familiar from other movies and books.

This film isn't nearly as well-made as the Daniel Day Lewis vehicle, but I do think it's entertaining and worth a viewer's time, as well as something that will interest the "mechanical" aspect of people in our field.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]