FORUMS: list search recent posts

Late to the party with Avatar

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Griffin
Late to the party with Avatar
on Jan 16, 2010 at 3:59:09 pm

OK, so I'm behind the curve on this one, but I don't like crowds and enjoy movies much more when I'm in the dead center of the X-axis of the screen. Saw Avatar yesterday and it truly is worth the accolades its been receiving. Wow! While not Citizen Kane or The Godfather, Avatar may be one of the best "pop" movies of all times.

What I simply can't understand is why anyone who had the choice would NOT see it in Imax? If ever there was a movie made for 3D Imax and sub-woofers this is it. Also it's rather remarkable that it cost ONLY $300Million or so to make. Every penny is on the screen and then some.

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
Re: Late to the party with Avatar
on Jan 16, 2010 at 5:39:19 pm

Counting the cost is a bit deceptive. From what I gleaned from this months' American Cinematographer's magazine, they had to INVENT many gadgets. Although I don't have any actual facts, my imagination gets the better of me, and I imagine there's several LLC owning specific patents on specific gadgets, each of those now developed and in the market can start to generate revenue. Further imagining that those business ventures are not part of the Avatar production costs.

I had the same reaction, though: WOW!

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jan 16, 2010 at 6:19:14 pm

They had to invent virtually everything. In an interview we'll publish soon(ish), Vince Pace talked about the new camera rigs that he and Cameron had to develop for Avatar - even though they've been working together on 3D projects since Ghosts of the Abyss.

What people don't talk much about is the matchmoving technology they had to develop. They had to create and capture a HUGE amount of metadata regarding camera position, focal length, aperture - you name it. If it happens on set, they were able to EXACTLY match it in post. They also designed some remarkable on-set monitoring technologies that allowed the *cameras* to move in a 3D space that Cameron could see, which the actors of course could not -- until they watched playback.

Because of its broad applicability to any kind of VFX work, including compositing for standard 2D narrative filmmaking that doesn't LOOK like it's a VFX shot, I think that the influence of the matchmoving technology will likely come faster, and will last longer.

Not that the 3D isn't amazing. :-)

Something that I've never seen discussed elsewhere that we will definitely be talking about in the article: it was shot 1920x1080!

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jan 16, 2010 at 6:29:41 pm

[Tim Wilson] "Something that I've never seen discussed elsewhere that we will definitely be talking about in the article: it was shot 1920x1080!
"

Next you'll be telling us they used $200 Flip Cams to shave a few $$$ off the budget... :)

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on Jan 16, 2010 at 10:07:36 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "Next you'll be telling us they used $200 Flip Cams to shave a few $$$ off the budget."

No, the flipcams were only used for the vista beauty shots acquired by the second unit.

;)

Just kidding with you, David. (For those who didn't get the joke.)

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom

Creativity is a type of learning process where the teacher and pupil are located in the same individual.

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
- Antoine de Saint Exupéry

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.
- Gandhi

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jan 16, 2010 at 7:02:37 pm

[Nick Griffin] "What I simply can't understand is why anyone who had the choice would NOT see it in Imax?"

I saw it in "Read D" first, as that is supposed to be the "sweet spot." with the very best projection. Now, I'm heading over to see it in Imax, which is supposed to be a bit "over the top," by comparison. I'll let you know what my findings are.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on Jan 16, 2010 at 10:11:16 pm

I am jealous, David. The nearest IMAX theater is over 100 miles away.

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom

Creativity is a type of learning process where the teacher and pupil are located in the same individual.

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
- Antoine de Saint Exupéry

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.
- Gandhi

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jan 17, 2010 at 12:19:23 am

[Ron Lindeboom] "The nearest IMAX theater is over 100 miles away. "

Come on down. I'm going Tuesday.

BTW, Go Saints Go!!!

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Harry Pallenberg
on Jan 19, 2010 at 8:29:55 pm

I have to agree... crazy to NOT see it in 3D IMAX if you can... I actually feel bad for the people who could see it in at least 3D and just saw a regular old movie...

There was a trailer for Piranha 3-D - I can only hope James Cameron is going back to his roots!

1920X1080 - wow - cant wait to read about that...

Thanks,
Harry

Forum Cowmunity Leader: Indie & Doc
Forum Cowmunity Leader: HDV

Dual 1.8 G5 ** 2GB ** 10.5.4 (Office / Photoshop)
Dual 2.0 G5 ** 4GB ** 10.5.4 Kona 2 (FCP 6.0.4 Machine)

http://www.womeninboxes.com
The Documentary Film about Magic's Better Half.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 22, 2010 at 3:11:41 pm

The first time I went I took the kids with me and the wife stayed home. This weekend I hope to make a date out of it and take her to see it in real-d. Since it will be my second time watchung it, I will be curious to see if the plot holes I saw and just forgave in passign the first time becoem more annoying to me the second time around or not. I know that was the case when I brought the Star Trek DVD home for the family to watch, it got very annoying. Even more so when the DVR caught "The Fountainhead" recently and I re-watched it with my son the other night, explaining to him a few things about Rand and what she was trying to say int he script thru her "Mary Sue" characters. I have some kind of fascination for the kernel of the story of this movie, but damn, the dialogue sucks worse and worse every time I watch it, and the plot seems weaker and stupider every time as well. I started a thread once about movies you would re-make if you could, and this was the one I listed. As to why my fascination, A: architecture is cool and you don't see too many movies about it. B: the film's subtext of unqualified critics dumping on your creative work and forcing compromises is one I easily relate to. But I don't think Rand quite got the irony of telling her particular story thru film; a medium that is nothing BUT collaboration and compromise and dissipation of a singular "vision" to suit the demands of commerce and mass appeal.

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
on Jan 22, 2010 at 7:55:07 pm

Mark-

According to Imax.com you're 130 miles from Davenport, Iowa. It's worth the drive to see Avatar in Imax. Trust me.

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Jan 28, 2010 at 4:26:35 am

Found this interesting link - people make the most interesting mash-ups:
http://www.theweek.com/article/index/104725/Top_4_AvatarPocahontas_mashup_v...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]