FORUMS: list search recent posts

The Newsroom

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
The Newsroom
on Jun 26, 2013 at 2:57:32 pm

I've only now started catching up to this HBO/Sorkin show, thru rented DVD's. I loved the feel the flow, the snappy dialog. It felt like watching The West Wing again.

Out of the box, I was frankly and pleasantly surprised by Olivia Munn's dramatic acting chops. She's had a hard time finding the right vehicle for a while. She's finally, maybe, found the right fit for her talent, and I hope this continues.

Sam W.'s been doing the same bobble-head Law And Order schtick so long, I have to wonder if he's got any other character in his bag. I am liking the rest of the cast.

I am enjoying the way actual real world stories and footage are woven into the fictional ones, and the cutting commentary being made on stuff like Geraldo, Nancy Grace, etc.

Jeff Daniels has some damn fine comic timing, and I don't mean from "Dumb and Dumber".

I think the sumptuous art direction and set design are a bit loud and over the top, however, when your show is 90 percent people standing or sitting while talking, you need *something* busy or kinetic going on in the frame to hold some viewers. I would have liked to see more of the sets reflect more "realistic" facility architecture and decor; ugly corporate cube farms, scratched and stained formica counters and tables that wobble: much less glamorous but more real.

Funny to me, I screened the NSA Whistle-Blower Episode last night, and marveled at some of the parallels to current events.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
Re: The Newsroom
on Jun 27, 2013 at 10:30:50 pm

I really like The Newsroom. I got into it late, and just had them all saved on my DVR, and watched them all probably in a week or two. I guess the next season is just going to cover one huge news story for the entire season. I don't know yet if that's a good thing or a bad thing. Because I do like how it covered so many different things in season one.

Return to posts index

Kylee Peña
Re: The Newsroom
on Jun 29, 2013 at 1:32:39 am

Word, I love this show. I've been rewatching The West Wing and Newsroom doesn't even come close, but I still like it a lot. A couple of extremely melodramatic bits last season (quit with the pop song interludes) but it's forgiven. Love Jeff Daniels. And I've also been pretty floored by how the events in the show reflect on present day. It could easily fall into an uncanny valley of storytelling with these current events, but instead they're brilliant commentary.

blog: kyleesportfolio.com/blog
twitter: @kyl33t
demo: kyleewall.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]