FORUMS: list search recent posts

Research tips

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Dean
Research tips
on Jun 11, 2013 at 11:12:54 pm

Hi, everyone. I'm currently editing a feature film and am trying to present a cliched scene in a less-cliched manner. The camera is locked down in front of a mirror and a character enters the frame in an outfit of clothing, looks at herself, rejects it, exits the frame, and immediately re-enters in a different outfit. We've all seen sequences like this, and I want to show the director that it's not the innovation he thinks it is. My question is about how to locate other films that have done this very scene. Does anyone have any thoughts on search terms on Google or YouTube or IMDB (or anything else)? I've been doing "trying on outfits + mirror," "changing clothes + mirror," and anything else I can think of, but my wording is just too general for the thousands of wrong results I'm getting. It's a very specific thing I'm searching for, but I just don't know the best way to find it. Any ideas? Many thanks.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Research tips
on Jun 12, 2013 at 2:30:55 pm

Off the top of my head I can think of a few....however, I wanted to point out one. Clueless. At the beginning of the movie Cher needs to do the challenging task of picking out the right outfit for school. To give a new look to this "been done a lot" concept they added a computer program to her closet that showed her in different outfits. Clueless is based on the movie Emma, which I'm sure is based on a Wishbone episode which is based on a book, which is based on 9 broadcast episodes or miniseries. :-) My point is, it has been done again and again, but yet Clueless the movie still worked and got a high tomato rating and I'm sure made a boat load of money. I hope you get my point. Lots of things have been done and re-done. What can you do to make it feel different?

Stephen Smith - Follow me on Behance

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

David Dean
on Jun 12, 2013 at 5:29:23 pm

Thanks, Stephen. As it happens the director liked what I did. Because the actress pretty much duplicated her actions as she checked out the various outfits, I matched her action from dress to dress. Basically she enters the frame (the mirror) in one dress and changes three or four times, with smooth jumpcuts on motion, before leaving the frame. Then she walks back in wearing the chosen dress. I'm sure someone else has done that before too, but I wanted to do something different than leaving the frame in dress 1 and coming back in in dress 2, etc. I still don't know how I might have discovered that there was a scene like that in "Clueless" (thanks for that), but fortunately this time I didn't need to find it. Thank you for your time!

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jun 12, 2013 at 5:46:56 pm

Sounds great. Good luck on completing your feature.

Stephen Smith - Follow me on Behance

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]