FORUMS: list search recent posts

Now You See Me

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
Now You See Me
on Jun 2, 2013 at 12:54:51 am

I had not planned to see this in the theater, but my daughter's early saturday morning matinee date fell through, the fix were already bought, so, it became a dad and daughter outing, and that was nice.

The setup:
The cops and a James Randi-like debunker chase four master magicians who are brought together into a team by a mysterious puppet-master, to pull mega-heists while performing Vegas-style show events at various venues.

I found the swirly, in-the round constant circular panning shots a bit nausea-inducing, but they damp down after a while as the movie finds its rhythm.

What you get is a series of elaborate tricks that come with their own reveals, tricks-within-tricks, a lot of misdirection, and yet you can really see the ending coming from a long way off. When you do, the ending will make you angry because it's really kind of a cheat, and not well-motivated throughout the film. It's like the writers wanted to go one level deeper but lost their way and defaulted to something lesser.

Mark Ruffalo looks like he's trying to channel Vincent D'Onofrio the whole time, as the cop.

Best laugh in the film is a segment within a segment, as Morgan Freeman, the debunker, hosts a segment of his cable TV show that is a dead ringer for any of the cable-based science shows he's in in real life...

The tricks are flashy, but overblown. It might make a fun double-feature with Burt Wonderstone.

But for me, any episode of the old TV show: "It Takes A Thief", would be time better spent.

Bill Bixby as "The magician"

Or go watch "The Prestige".

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Now You See Me
on Jun 3, 2013 at 4:08:11 pm

Is Morgan Freeman the puppet master? I guess you shouldn't tell me, so I can be surprised when it comes out on Red box. To bad you can see the ending a mile away. Still looked like a fun rental. You have to give them props for not being a sequel and creating an original idea.

Stephen Smith - Follow me on Behance

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 3, 2013 at 9:19:03 pm

The Puppet Master is one of the cast you meet, but when you find out who that is, you're going to say:

"That is a RIDICULOUS length to go to, to hold a grudge."

And you're going to lose all the fun and respect you had for the film up to that point.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Sep 9, 2013 at 4:00:43 pm

Yes, you are right. The ending is a big let down. I still enjoyed the film and thought it was fun, the end just ruined it. I guess I don't want to give anything away and ruin the "magic" but it seemed liked the pay off for the magicians and everyone else was paper thin.

Okay, so I'm going to ruin the magic, don't read any further if you haven't seen the film.

-What did the four horseman get out of this? Become wanted by the FBI to join a special club a magicians? I guess fame was their reward.
-Why did the Interpol detective turn a blind eye and not care once she learned who the real puppet master is?
-Morgan Freeman goes to jail for life just because he debunked magicians?
-As Mark said, I lot of work to just hold a grudge.

It felt like there wasn't a pay off and the film feel apart at the end. Still worth checking out on cable though.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Sep 9, 2013 at 5:03:10 pm

The Little Movie That Could, though -- up to $317 million worldwide, and Labor Day weekend's traffic was UP 48%. It's only still in a couple of hundred theaters, and with 16 weekends domestic, probably about done...

....but not overseas. UK ($16.7 million), continental Europe ($22.5 m in France alone, another $12 in Spain), Russia ($21m), and Mexico ($13m) -- in all, $200m foreign, and that's before China. Is it even planned for China? I have no idea, but why not? Not that the two markets are comparable, but it's done $13m in South Korea! And I hear that the Chinese are bullish on Eisenberg.

This fascinates me no end. I'd never have guessed.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Sep 9, 2013 at 5:13:21 pm

That's cool Tim. As I mentioned before, you have to give them props for not being a sequel, prequel or reboot and creating an original idea.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Sep 11, 2013 at 2:27:07 pm

I actually saw Now You See Me in theaters, but for whatever reason, never felt like commenting on it at the time. Probably because it didn't inspire me to say that much. Then I kind of forgot it existed. Hey, I even have the movie ticket to prove I was there! (don't judge me, I save all my movie tickets for decoration in my glass bar table)

(whoa, that picture is sideways... NOT WORTH ADJUSTING)

And I still kind of don't have much to say about it. Let's see what I even remember...

-I didn't like the ending at all, with the dumb character twist.

-Yeah, like, what is the end result of the Four Horsemen? Do they get real magic powers now or something? I was actually kind of confused at the carousel scene at the end. That was a carousel, right? I barely remember.

-These people seem pretty good at setting up giant holographic installments without testing them anywhere first.

-Some of the "tricks" relied pretty heavily on coincidence as opposed to perfect execution. I'm looking at you, illusion involving a high speed car chase on a bridge.

-Yeah, I'm not sure Morgan Freeman deserves to go to jail for what he did.

-Overall, I liked some of the tricks, but the crime plot felt a little like overkill, and wasn't executed in the best way possible. It's a movie worth watching on Redbox, but I doubt it will ever be anyone's favorite movie. I give it EHHHHHH and 1/2 out of EHHHHHHHHHH.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]