FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shorter Movie Trailers

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Smith
Shorter Movie Trailers
on May 30, 2013 at 7:15:40 pm

Looks like the National Association of Theater Owners (NATO, yes NATO) hates long movie trailers and feels 3 minutes is to long. Here is the article:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/theater-owners-seek-new-rules-559164

I like the movie trailers. For me that is a big part of the movie going experience.

Stephen Smith - Follow me on Behance

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Shorter Movie Trailers
on May 30, 2013 at 9:30:55 pm

I too enjoy trailer previews, makes me feel like I'm getting something extra with my main movie. And if I'm running a tad late, they save me from missing the start of what I came to see.

However, I only feel this way about GOOD previews. I don't mean that it has to be a movie I would watch. necessarily, just that it entertain while giving some sense of what the movie is,

...without giving away all the best parts and the whole plot...

I understand that too many trailers and previews and pre-movie time-waser quizzes and local ads reduce the number of times you can turn over seats. maybe less of that "First Look" crap would help with that.

Return to posts index

Jeff Breuer
on May 31, 2013 at 5:44:27 pm

[Mark Suszko] " And if I'm running a tad late, they save me from missing the start of what I came to see."

I'm with you there. I love the trailers too. But I can also see the argument that says, so many people are viewing trailers online now, seeing them in the theater is less important. The internet already has extended trailers and red band trailers uniquely online, if the three minute trailer was cut back a little bit, I don't think it would hurt them. Personally I will often avoid watching a trailer online in hopes of seeing it in a theater if I think I will have a chance.

Having said that, I don't think most people have a problem with the length of the trailers. I think most people have issues with boring trailers, ones that give away too much and trailers that are poorly placed. I know theaters have trailers dictated to them, but they also have options of which ads to place and how many to play.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on May 31, 2013 at 6:25:50 pm

For me it is fun to see a trailer on the Big Screen even if I have seen it on the little. I like it when the trailer gives to much away for a film I will never see. That way I can feel like I pretty much have seen it. But yeah, I'm avoiding all trailers for the big movies I want to see this year so they don't ruin anything.

Stephen Smith - Follow me on Behance

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Jun 4, 2013 at 12:53:54 am

I remember my friend & I saw the trailer for Salmon Fishing in the Yemen so many times during it's trailer run that we memorized every line in the trailer and would burst into laughter every time Ewan McGregor said he liked to talk to the fish. I think we just laughed to cope with the pain of having to sit through that boring trailer so many times. There was a stretch when we saw that trailer before around 6 or 7 movies in a row.

For the record, I've never actually seen the movie and never plan to.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]