FORUMS: list search recent posts

Arrested Development

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Smith
Arrested Development
on May 28, 2013 at 5:44:05 pm

Anyone seen the new season of Arrested Development on Netflx yet? I know Tim is a big fan :-) I liked the past episodes and wanted to know if it is good...or am I the only one on the Film History and Appreciation forum who likes it?

Stephen Smith - Follow me on Behance

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Kylee Peña
Re: Arrested Development
on May 28, 2013 at 5:54:23 pm

I love Arrested Development. I've seen the first three seasons more times than I can count. I think I can recite every episode. There was nothing on NPR's list of running gags that I didn't know about.

I've had to make peace with the fact there are people I deeply respect who don't like the show. Everyone has their major character flaws, I've accepted that and moved on.

I've seen two episodes of the fourth season (OMG WHAT A GREAT SENTENCE) so far, and I'm seriously loving them. They're slightly different because each episode focuses on one character (all episodes happening at the same time) instead of jumping around. I like that idea a lot for a show that can be binged because it otherwise wouldn't work at all.

It really feels like they never stopped making them. That makes me happy because for some reason, this show meant A LOT to me when it was on. Maybe because it was my rebound comedy when Friends ended.

blog: kyleesportfolio.com/blog
twitter: @kyl33t
demo: kyleewall.com

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on May 28, 2013 at 6:10:53 pm

That is great news. I'm happy to hear that they still got it. Can't wait to watch it.

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on May 28, 2013 at 6:13:06 pm

I'm 5 episodes into the new season, I also agree it's really good and as if it never went off the air. The amount of guest stars just in what I've seen has been insane!

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on May 28, 2013 at 6:16:47 pm

Is Tony Wonder in this season?

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on May 28, 2013 at 6:18:07 pm

I hope so! I haven't gotten to GOB's episode yet. But I'll be disappointed if he's not in it.

Return to posts index

Kylee Peña
on May 28, 2013 at 6:18:09 pm

I believe Ben Stiller was on the massive cameo list but I haven't seen him yet.

Return to posts index

Jeff Hinkle
on May 28, 2013 at 6:30:25 pm

Tony Wonder has indeed shown up ("Now I'm over here!") and looks like he'll have a significant part to play in upcoming episodes.

And I agree with everyone else: It feels like the show never left the air. With the "happening all at once" structure, I'm loving how the background jokes suddenly take on new meaning three/four episodes down the road when they're in the spotlight.

---
It is easier to destroy than to create.
More fun, too.

Return to posts index

Jeff Hinkle
on May 28, 2013 at 6:34:01 pm

[Kylee Wall] "I've had to make peace with the fact there are people I deeply respect who don't like the show. Everyone has their major character flaws, I've accepted that and moved on."

You are far more forgiving than I...

---
It is easier to destroy than to create.
More fun, too.

Return to posts index

Jeff Breuer
on May 28, 2013 at 8:41:52 pm

I have been a big AD fan for years and yes, like all of you watched the seasons many times. But I feel a bit odd being the one person who doesn't feel like they picked up right where they left off. I found the first episode quite unfunny. Now, given I stayed up till midnight on Saturday so I could watch the first episode, so maybe I was just tired. I'm now ten episodes into it and the season has picked up a lot as the season progressed. However, one of the troubles for me was that part of the greatness of the show was the chemistry of these great characters and in solo projects, you get less of that great equation that made it all work. Another issue I had was that the editing really felt sloppy in a number of places. I know Mitchell Hurwitz always worked on the episodes until the last minute, so maybe the big project just caught up with him a bit.

The season also had the crappy job of being an immortal show with ten years of suspense, anticipation and expectations to live up to. That's a tough job. And I am still enjoying the show and looking forward to watching the next episode.

Return to posts index

Kylee Peña
on May 28, 2013 at 8:46:04 pm

I will say I have kind of missed the interactions all happening at once and making the show fly by.

So far, I've attributed this to the fact I'm just really used to the first 3 seasons, so this way of going about it is more jarring than it should be. That's my own fault for watching the original show too much I guess :)

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on May 28, 2013 at 9:50:42 pm

As a heads up, it looks like they also shot and posted the episodes all at once. We've got a story with the show's colorist/finisher coming up soon. If not late this week, maybe early next?

Return to posts index

Kylee Peña
on May 29, 2013 at 12:15:08 pm

Yay!

Return to posts index

Kylee Peña
on May 29, 2013 at 12:17:19 pm

Oh, and for the rest of the thread:

Gob's episode has been the best so far. Some parts were watched multiple times.

I'm really digging the structure. It's been a bit odd when you're used to watching it for TV. The introduction of gags a full episode before they're explained is maybe one of my new favorite things about television-for-binging. The original show BARELY worked on TV. Now this is pushing background gags and jokes to the max, and it's working brilliantly.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on May 29, 2013 at 2:24:09 pm

Article today says Netflix is worried the resurrected A.D. shows won't bring in as much revenue as hoped, partly due to piracy and off-Netflix sharing.

Return to posts index

Jeff Breuer
on May 29, 2013 at 4:49:10 pm

Tim - That's great, I'm looking forward to it!

[Kylee Wall] "Now this is pushing background gags and jokes to the max, and it's working brilliantly."

This is one of the things in my mind that is really working for the new series. I love the gags that are set up in one episode, but the payoff is in another episode. To use an example from a previous season, Lucille cuts a guy off in traffic an yells at him, and later in the episode we see it is George and he yells back. Funny gag. Here they set up gags that are woven between episodes. This same gag works in Gob's episode when he thinks he is locking Tony Wonder in a box. It works well on Netflix because the entire season is available at once and it adds value in repeat viewings, and with Netflix's stream as much as you want model, it encourages repeat viewing. So props to AD for exploring the possibilities of this new viewing model.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on May 29, 2013 at 5:08:22 pm

Another great example in season 3 is before Buster loses his hand. He sits on a bench that says Army Officer or something and covers up all the letters so it says Arm Off when he sits down. In a previous one he loses his chair shaped like a hand and sees it and mentions missing his hand or arm.

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Kylee Peña
on May 31, 2013 at 1:03:10 pm

I finished the season last night. Overall, I loved it. It's kind of weird to comment on it much because season 1-3 are so burned into my brain. And I remember thinking season 3 wasn't quite as good as it could have been when it originally aired -- a thought that went away after a couple rewatches. This will probably be similar. It think they did a great job of recapturing the show's style and appeal while telling a new story and dealing with the limitations of only getting some actors a few days at a time.

If they do another season, I hope they do these single character driven episodes a lot less. It was a good solution here, especially where they needed to explain what everyone has been doing for 8 years. But I missed the fast cutting between story lines the original show HAD to do to fit into 22 minutes. Some characters are funnier when you see them a little less. Being able to tell a story that's 37 minutes long when I'm used to watching them for maybe 10 minutes of a 20 minute show is pretty weird. Not sure if I'm not used to it or if the editing was a bit on the languid side. I also hope they'll back off the old gags a little bit. I'm not sure how it differed from season 3 to 4, but it felt like they were pointing them out more.

This season made me feel bad for Michael in a way I haven't before, and the ending certainly didn't help that. Not really sure what to think about that last scene. Kind of icky.

I loved the setup of jokes long before the payoff though. In that way, Netflix and Arrested Development are perfect together. I think that Hurwitz will learn a lot from this experience, and if they do a season 5, it'll be even better. Hopefully fewer callbacks and shorter episodes. AD was best when it was fighting format limitations and leaving you wanting more, and I'd bet they're taking careful notes about what's working and what isn't. It wasn't a perfect season, but it was pretty freakin good and could have easily been a damn train wreck.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jan 2, 2014 at 8:05:12 pm

Just renewed Netflx and watched Arrested Development. The first few episode weren't funny at all and I was feeling disappointed. The episode with Lindsay was funny and then in the next episode with Tobias going to India as well was funny. The Lindsay episode set up a lot of jokes in the Tobias episode that wouldn't be funny unless you watched them both. The episode with Ron Howard and Conan O'Brien was my favorite. For me the problem was some of the characters are not funny on their own but set up jokes for the others. I loved how the stories tied in together but it started to get old at the end of the season and it started to feel like the last episodes just had 1/4 of already seen material placed in it just for people who didn't see all of the pervious episodes so they would know what was going on.

I was also disappointed that it felt like the season was leading to one big pay off but instead it felt like it didn't go anywhere. All in all I still enjoyed it and I hope they make another season.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]