FORUMS: list search recent posts

MPAA more specific movie rating system

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Smith
MPAA more specific movie rating system
on Apr 17, 2013 at 2:54:15 pm

I guess the MPAA announced that they will include a brief explanation of why the movie received its rating. Haven't they already been doing this? I guess now it will be more public? In some cases the brief explanations don't help at all. I remember a list saying X-Men 3 had drug use. I think there is a difference between smoking a bong and a made up drug that eliminates your mutant power. Anyways, take a look at this article, or rather just watch the commercial in it.

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013/04/new-mpaa-ratings/

Stephen Smith - Follow me on Behance

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Jeff Breuer
Re: MPAA more specific movie rating system
on Apr 17, 2013 at 3:49:23 pm

You're right, they have been doing it. Maybe they are just promoting it. When I worked at a theater it was very rare for someone to ask for a rating's reason. I probably had just as many parents upset that they could not just buy a rated-R movie ticket for their kid.

But with the popularity of the internet, there are better explanations out there. IMDB actually has a really good parental guide for movies that is crowd-sourced by users and gives more detailed information so you know the difference between "drug use" meaning a bong or mutant elixir.

I liked the video too. Good way to convey their message. However I thought using a Teddy Bear to represent "Rated G" was a terrible idea. I don't think very many people think of Teddy Bears as being G Rated anymore.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: MPAA more specific movie rating system
on Apr 17, 2013 at 4:01:30 pm

[ Jeff]
However I thought using a Teddy Bear to represent "Rated G" was a terrible idea. I don't think very many people think of Teddy Bears as being G Rated anymore.

Ha Ha, that was my first thought when I watched it and I haven't seen Ted.

Stephen Smith - Follow me on Behance

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]