FORUMS: list search recent posts

Remember The Road Warrior?

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rainys Andrew Blekaitis
Remember The Road Warrior?
on Apr 5, 2013 at 3:32:48 am

I know that The Road Warrior was a thriller with greatly choreographed action, but I remember it as a gem of its genre. Costner's Waterworld was The Road Warrior transposed from desert to ocean; imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. My favorite scene was when the flunky-punk ran from the boomerang, tried catching it, and had his fingers cut off. He bent over in pain, but when all of his mates laughed, he laughed too. Am I waxing too nostalgic over this?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Remember The Road Warrior?
on Apr 5, 2013 at 2:24:19 pm

If I recall correctly, they overdubbed Mel's Aussie accent out for the original US release. I think the story in Road Warrior is actually a lot more complex and nuanced than what followed. Each film has its own charms, though, there is a lot more meme-worthy stuff in Thunderdome.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Apr 5, 2013 at 6:14:10 pm

[Mark Suszko] "If I recall correctly, they overdubbed Mel's Aussie accent out for the original US release."

That was for the first one, Mad Max. Road Warrior was Mel's voice.

Rainys, you picked EXACTLY the scene that hooked me. Much of it was a little much for my taste, but that single sequence tells you what you need to know, not just about these characters, or this movie, but about the whole world.

I was always surprised that George Miller's career didn't blow up from this the same way Mel's did...although Mel's arc was more driven by The Year of Living Dangerously I think.

George did okay with Witches of Eastwick, but his biggest movie by far is Happy Feet ($384 million worldwide), followed by its sequel. I'm surprised that Babe only did $18 million US, although I'm a little more surprised he did it at all. LOL

Road Warrior is strong stuff, though. I think that this one was the one in the series that stuck the landing, although I agree Mark, a lot of good stuff in Mad Max 3.

But whenever I think of Beyond Thunderdome, I always think of this tribute 11 years later:

Return to posts index

Jeff Breuer
on Apr 5, 2013 at 8:16:34 pm

I wonder if 2Pac's California Love (at just over 6 minutes) cost as much to make as Road Warrior?

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Apr 5, 2013 at 8:50:17 pm

[Jeff Breuer] "I wonder if 2Pac's California Love (at just over 6 minutes) cost as much to make as Road Warrior?
"

I'm thinking that California Love was pushing a million-ish? It was certainly considered scandalous in many quarters at the time. Now, nobody would blink if Dre and a holo 'Pac (TwoPac?) spent ten times that.

One reason the budget was so "low" relative to its look, though, is because they used the actual sets from Thunderdome. Who knew they'd still be around 11 years later? I wonder if they're still around. :-) But that certainly helped save some coin.

Don't know if you saw my embed of it in my post above, but you can never share it too often. Might hafta go in my sig.

Note the Chris Tucker opening bit. He was hot off his first lead (and just second feature overall) for Friday, via Dre's man Ice Cube, and a mere year away from The Fifth Element....

Tim Wilson
Vice President, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Apr 5, 2013 at 9:46:52 pm

I'm happy that Road Warrior talk naturally evolved into a discussion about California Love, haha!

Also, did you guys know that they are rebooting this franchise with Tom Hardy in the lead role? It doesn't seem like a BAD idea, I suppose.

http://screenrant.com/mad-max-fury-road-synopsis/

Also, production video! That's a lot of dust!

Return to posts index

Rainys Andrew Blekaitis
on Apr 6, 2013 at 11:29:56 am

[Tim Wilson] "Rainys, you picked EXACTLY the scene that hooked me. Much of it was a little much for my taste, but that single sequence tells you what you need to know, not just about these characters, or this movie, but about the whole world. "

Tim, many action-thriller movies just do the same thing, but that scene was a commentary about the pervasive milieu; mishaps can be laughable. That's an ultimate dystopia.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]