FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ebert moves to the upper balcony

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
Ebert moves to the upper balcony
on Apr 4, 2013 at 9:37:25 pm

I'm going to miss Roger Ebert a lot. His writing was well-thought-out and crafted, informative but never pedantic. He had excellent critical skills and I found my movie tastes more or less aligned with his, so that if he liked it, I knew I would want to see it, whatever "it" was.

There is nobody else quite like Roger left to review and critique films today. We've democratized it to the wisdom of crowds, but I've never found crowds to be all that smart when it comes to movies, as they tend to go for what's popular over what's good. Roger didn't give a fig for marketing hype and he told it like he saw it.

Return to posts index

Kylee Peña
Re: Ebert moves to the upper balcony
on Apr 5, 2013 at 5:05:43 pm

At The Movies was my first exposure to movie reviews and while I was too young to appreciate it, I remember watching it just about every Sunday(?) morning. I always enjoyed Ebert's reviews because they were more of a thoughtful essay pondering what the film means rather than specifically addressing the goodness or badness of it.

I loved reading them, even when I didn't agree. I'll genuinely miss his perspective.

blog: kyleesportfolio.com/blog
twitter: @kyl33t
demo: kyleewall.com

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
Re: Ebert moves to the upper balcony
on Apr 5, 2013 at 9:56:31 pm

I thought this was pretty touching:

As well as the Onion's tribute to him:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/roger-ebert-hails-human-existence-as-a-tri...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]