FORUMS: list search recent posts

Red box now has lunch meat

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Smith
Red box now has lunch meat
on Apr 1, 2013 at 9:00:47 pm

Red box just sent out an e-mail today (April Fools Day) saying that they are now offering lunch meat. They even made everything fit in the DVD cases. I love it! In case you don't get their e-mail newsletter and want a good laugh be sure to check out the picture below. My fav is that they added mustard as on option in one of the cases.

Stephen Smith - Follow me on Behance

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Red box now has lunch meat
on Apr 1, 2013 at 9:15:15 pm

Liverwurst, mmmm... with genoa hard salami...mmm.

Make fun as you like but I like Redbox for sudden spur of the moment pickups of the popular new releases, I like their ubiquity and that I don't have to return it where I got it and I like that they throw in a couple of oldies I may have missed in the first run as well. They are doing better than the local mom and pop video store I also patronize. I went tot he mom and pop to borrow a copy of "The Last temptation of Christ" and they had sold off their last copy some time back. I told the manager, "THIS is why amazon, redbox and netflix are eating your lunch. You guys lost respect for the back catalog and the obscure and the classics, in favor of new releases, and that's why you're doomed." I'm fairly convinced that the chain is only afloat now because of the titles in the "back room", and you can get any of that, and more, free online now.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Apr 1, 2013 at 9:32:53 pm

[Mark Suszko] "I like Redbox for sudden spur of the moment pickups of the popular new releases, I like their ubiquity and that I don't have to return it where I got it and I like that they throw in a couple of oldies I may have missed in the first run as well. "

There's soooo much I like about Redbox. Get into their apps and web resources if you haven't. I recently wanted to find Gladiator on Blu-ray (see? I really DO like Ridley Scott), and found it at a specific box (the second one on the outside, rather than one of the two inside) at a store just a little past my usual one. Reserved and waiting for me. Awesome.

The app is cool because you can just tell it to find the nearest box to you. So yeah, then grab it where it's convenient, return it wherever ELSE is convenient.

Maybe also awesome: their new streaming service. I haven't tried it, but the price is right: $8/month for unlimited streaming to any devices AND four FREE DVD rentals, $9 for unlimited streaming plus 4 Blu-rays. You can even download "a title or two" for offline viewing! This is insane. Here are the details.

Anybody try this yet?

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Apr 2, 2013 at 2:15:20 pm

I still have never really tried Redbox. I'm too uninspired to want to get up and go to a Walmart or a Jewel and pick out a movie in public while waiting in line behind 2 families debating whether to rent Alvin and the Chipmunks or Despicable Me.

I'm in love with Amazon Prime Instant Video. I use it through my Playstation 3. You do need to have Amazon Prime, which I used all the time before the streaming movies came along ($80 a year, free 2 day shipping on everything on Amazon). They offer up a bunch of free movies all the time. And they aren't all crappy either, after a long enough period of time they start adding the big releases to the free list. They also have every new release the day they are released on DVD for $3.99 rental, and I've never had a problem with the streaming (even in HD). They also offer movies BEFORE DVD release, but at a slightly higher price. And in addition to that, they usually offer up some smaller indie movies as viewable while they are still in theaters! These usually cost between $7 and $10 (the price of an actual movie ticket. So, fair prices). They also have just as many TV shows as Netflix, and a bunch of them are free as well. And I never have to get out of my desk chair!

I also have Netflix streaming, and it's the worst. I GUESS they have some TV shows to watch, but their movie selection is embarrassing. Also, I hate how the PS3 Netflix APP is organized. That programmer should be fired and never allowed to program anything ever again. I'm happy I don't pay for it, since I'm just mooching the account info from my girlfriend's parents (ha!). I'll watch Arrested Development Season 4 and love Netflix for a week or so, then I'll go back to never using it.

But none of these other services offer dispensable mustard disks... so my arguments are invalid...

Return to posts index

Kylee Peña
on Apr 2, 2013 at 2:26:36 pm

I really wish this was an actual thing.

I love Redbox. Love that it's a dollar, love you can reserve it on your phone, love you don't have to return it to the same place.

I do kind of miss the days when we'd have to actually go into a video rental store and look through the racks to see if there were any copies available, then go ask if any were returned. Locating one at another store was out of the question. Luckily these memories are MOSTLY relegated to my childhood. And also my first year of college. I had to bring 3 pieces of identification to open an account when I moved to go to school! WTF!

I did NOT know they had any kind of streaming service. I'll have to check that out. I mostly use Netflix for binging on really old TV shows, and their interface sucks on everything I use it on including Xbox, PS3, and Roku. I have too many systems and too many services.

blog: kyleesportfolio.com/blog
twitter: @kyl33t
demo: kyleewall.com

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Apr 2, 2013 at 3:24:46 pm

[Mark]
Make fun as you like but I like Redbox for sudden spur of the moment pickups of the popular new releases, I like their ubiquity and that I don't have to return it where I got it and I like that they throw in a couple of oldies I may have missed in the first run as well.

Who's making fun of Redbox? I'm a big fan.

[Tim]
their new streaming service. I haven't tried it, but the price is right: $8/month for unlimited streaming to any devices AND four FREE DVD rentals, $9 for unlimited streaming plus 4 Blu-rays. You can even download "a title or two" for offline viewing! This is insane

I had no idea. This is something I really think Redbox needs to get into. Go to the box for new releases and Stream the "old" stuff. If you take the price of Netflix Streaming & Mail service this would be half the price. I looked at the selection and it is obviously in Beta. This will be a cool one to keep an eye on.

[Scott]
I still have never really tried Redbox. I'm too uninspired to want to get up and go to a Walmart or a Jewel and pick out a movie in public while waiting in line behind 2 families debating whether to rent Alvin and the Chipmunks or Despicable Me.

Yeah, a line does happen every now and then. I always get online and reserve my movie so I'm just in and out. If feels like they have one every block in Salt Lake County. Gas Stations, every grocery store, fast food chains...I drive past a lot of them everyday which makes it real easy for me. Just a little over a dollar for a new release. That is the big selling point for me.

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Apr 4, 2013 at 1:52:41 pm

I can't believe nobody mentioned the Automat?! RedBox serving food would be like those carousel vending machines you find in hospitals and office building cafeterias where you can get a microwaveable can of chicken a-la-king or a bowl of pudding or whatever.

For those of you born after say 1960 there used to be self-serve coin operated vending cafeterias around the world. I'm sure some of our..ehem..more senior friends here have some experience with the Automat. I think there is one left in either Chicago, Berlin or London.
They used to be everywhere. My mom likes to tell me about how she ate at the Automat while working at NY Life in Manhattan in the late 60's.

Here are some educational links:
http://exhibitions.nypl.org/lunchhour/exhibits/show/lunchhour/automat

http://www.theautomat.com/

http://www.nytimes.com/1991/04/11/nyregion/last-automat-closes-its-era-long...

We love RedBox. I have yet to return a movie too far beyond the area where we rented one, although I have seen machines in a few airports. You can rent video games too. Last week I wanted to try the new Walking Dead XBox game, so I rented it for $2 only to realize it is the old Walking Dead game based upon the comics, and it was pretty boring.

My one gripe is that most RedBox rentals are stripped of bonus features. They have the menu links but then you get a message telling you to buy the DVD.

I realize the studios have never liked home video rental, but seriously, why penalize movie fans by trying to get them to buy the movie.

Let's say I am watching some B-level rental like "A Friend for the End of the World" or whatever. I click on the bonus features link and try to play the behind the scenes featurette, but instead get a message telling me to buy the disc. NOBODY will purchase this movie except video rental kiosks and Netflix. Which means NOBODY will ever see the bonus features.

There seems to be a several week delay between retail release of new movies and RedBox availability, which is also annoying.

Regarding Netflix and Amazon streaming. These services seem best for tv series viewing or classic, with a few non-classic, non-interesting movies that nobody wants to watch. Then there are a few randomly selected good and/or newer movies like Star Trek or Transformers III. I understand there are licensing issues with making every new movie streaming, but Netflix is losing to RedBox in this category, and they probably know this.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Apr 4, 2013 at 7:00:00 pm

[Mike Cohen] "My one gripe is that most RedBox rentals are stripped of bonus features. "

Not just Redbox. This is increasingly the case at Netflix too.

It's also the case with disks at the supermarket checkout. Not all of them mind you, but that's often one reason they're so much less expensive than you'd think -- a lot of the extras are stripped out.

I also think that studios are catching on that people care less and less about these. The trade-off for instant access is just too tempting.

The other thing going on is that studios are taking back the upper hand. Apple convinced the record label parts of these companies that APPLE had the upper hand, using the specter of Napster to hold them hostage...and Universal, Sony, Warner et al watched their music business crater faster than Napster was threatening to do it. ALMOST nothing is better than ACTUAL nothing, right? Mmmmm, maybe, maybe not.

There's no Napster nuke hanging over TV and movies though. (Piracy is a blackmail dodge. Forget it. They know it, and they know we know it.)

In fact, the content holders have the upper hand. They're locked into shitty deals with Apple for music, but even though Redbox and Netflix are now their biggest customers for physical disks (Netflix obviously less so over time), the studios are dictating terms to both of them, and DIFFERENT terms depending on whether they're in good graces or not: 28-day window, no special features, etc. And dictating streaming and online sales to EVERYONE.

To one and all, they're saying, "You can stick your new business model in your ear, punk. You HAVE no business without our content. Go wrestle those lepers over at FlickStream for crumbs until we tell you you can sleep in the bed again."

This goes triple for Apple. Building a chunk of white plastic and glass for a TV is easy. Building fresh integrated content models is taking cooperation that Apple hasn't been getting. Not that it won't happen for Apple eventually. Of course it will. Maybe this year. But there's no sense of urgency for content providers to knuckle under to them.

One thing that all these next-gen platforms are doing is underscoring the value of MOVIES and TV as the most prestigious, valuable entertainment commodities on the planet, and creating more and more big clients, including at least one that's already passed Apple in size, and others not far behind, and none of them being a dick about it.

And one way they're going to pull this off is by simultaneously propping up old models AND supporting new ones. "If we can slow it down just a bit, we'll find a way to keep making money while we figure out our next move.

Oh, and Apple, we're trying to get some work done over here. Wait outside. There are sandwiches in that bright red machine in the lobby."

[Mike Cohen] "These services seem best for tv series viewing or classic, with a few non-classic, non-interesting movies that nobody wants to watch."

You make a good point. What's HBO doing more of? Making TV series. What are Netflix and Amazon doing with their production arms? TV series. Apparently I'm not the only one who likes TV more than movies, because if it was just a matter of owning the content you produce, Netflix and Amazon could just as easily be making movies. TV is where it's at.

I think the definitive Netflix quote right now is "I just watched the first five seasons of Breaking Bad."

Ah, except for documentaries. I can definitely see what you're saying Mike, but dude, pulling up Man On Wire and Jump! and pretty much every documentary ever mentioned in this forum immediately, on a whim, it's a junkie's dream.

And btw, THIS, no kidding, off the hook:

Wait, what were we talking about?

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
Re: d box now has lunch meat
on Apr 4, 2013 at 11:51:31 pm

My Netflix instant queue is full of docs and classics and they do have a lot of indies available.

Netflix just announced they will release all 15 new episodes of Arrested Development all at once. That is a brilliant move that the majors will never consider.

Game of Thrones is like a feature every week. Agree that a great series trumps one off features for streaming choices.

Mike

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Apr 17, 2013 at 1:57:04 pm

I went to Redbox for the first time ever over the weekend, you guys!

I actually didn't go for a movie, I went for a video game (Bioshock Infinite), because I heard that game rentals were only $2 a day, and if I beat it quick enough, that's way cheaper than paying full price for a game.

So I rented the game, and went home, and got all cozy, and opened up the disc case, and HUH? There's no disc in it?!?!

Some dumb kid who rented the game before me had taken off the barcode sticker from the disc and put it back into the case, so that the machine would accept the return and he made out with a $60 game for $2.

I called Redbox because I didn't want to get charged for the game I didn't even get to play, and they said they would investigate the issue, and probably charge the previous renter full retail price ($70 I guess). They also gave me two free game rentals and a free movie rental for my trouble.

So... for my first experience with Redbox, I got to deal with their customer service, which is actually pretty good considering I rented the game at 11:45 PM on Saturday night and called them at 12:15 AM. But, I still haven't played Bioshock Infinite... I guess I'll try again this weekend...

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Apr 17, 2013 at 2:59:39 pm

Wow, I've never seen that one before. I always look at the disc before I leave the Kiosk to make sure it is a Blu-ray and that it is not broken. Three free rentals sounds like a nice thing to get for your trouble. Sorry for a bad first time experience.

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]