On bad movies
on Mar 22, 2013 at 12:53:30 pm

Leonard Pincz-Garnell should love this:

http://www.avclub.com/articles/shitty-miracles,94095/

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
Re: On bad movies
on Mar 22, 2013 at 4:15:32 pm

I have had The Room sitting on a shelf for over a year, and I've just never felt the urge to finally watch it.

But I've seen a few of these kind of awful miracles. Jumping right to my head is a little 1985 movie called The Stuff. It's about an ooze that people eat to terrible results. We used to watch this in college all the time and laugh our asses off. In one scene that we kept rewinding and watching over and over again (and eventually quoting non-stop for a few months), one of the actors is clearly drunk and doesn't want to be there while delivering his lines. It's great. I'm not surprised that scene isn't online, but here's the trailer:

Another one we used to watch a lot in college, that I'm sure barely anyone has ever even heard of, is a 1986 film called Combat Shock. It's about a Vietnam war veteran with a screaming mutant baby and a life he hates, just wandering around a city getting into trouble. It's a perfect mixture of everything terrible. And the soundtrack was pure brilliance. It's no surprise this was picked up my Troma Entertainment.

(NSFW audio)

And a more recent viewing I've had, for a film called Miami Connection, was also pure terrible brilliance. It's about a rock and roll band named Dragon Sound fighting off a ninja threat that's infiltrating Florida. This one actually has an interesting story behind it. It was created back in 1987 by martial arts teacher Y.K. Kim. It only opened in 8 theaters in the Orlando area, and received a poor reception. Then in 2009, a guy who works at the Alamo Drafthouse in Texas bought a VHS of the film on eBay, without even knowing what it initially was, and screened it at the theater. The modern crowd loved the 80s wackiness, and Drafthouse Films picked up the movie for distribution, and eventually Blu-ray release. It's absolutely a fun movie, and I wholeheartedly recommend it if you're into watching bad 80s movies.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]