FORUMS: list search recent posts

Favorite Holiday Movie?

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Breuer
Favorite Holiday Movie?
on Dec 7, 2009 at 4:08:16 pm

This seems like an appropriate time and place to think about this. I'm sure we will have some obscure ones, which I look forward to reading about.

I still get crap for this, but I'm still a big fan of the Muppets. So I was very glad to see the new viral Bohemian Rhapsody parody they did on youtube! Finally some good new material from them. Anyways, I have an annual Christmas party with friends where we watch A Muppet Christmas Carol. Good times!

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Favorite Holiday Movie?
on Dec 7, 2009 at 7:26:57 pm

One of my favorite holiday movies is Bad Santa with Billy Bob Thornton. It's the perfect vehicle for him, because in real life he's pretty much exactly like the character he plays on-screen.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Dec 7, 2009 at 10:17:53 pm

Put me down for the corny but always satisfying Capra classic: "It's a Wonderful Life".

Speaking of Jimmy Stewart, I re-watched a movie of his on the DVR last night; "No Highway In The Sky". Very interesting story, with one of the weirdest love triangles you ever saw, and kind of an unusual character for Stewart to play. He's a metallurgical scientist, studying and perfecting a theory about how vibration causes metal fatigue in the tailplane of a specific aircraft. His character is a real nerd, an absent-minded professor type who is very divorced from humanity and consumed by his calculations.

There's two key scenes in the movie for me that demonstrate Stewart's acting very well. In the setup scene, he's explaining to his new boss that his work suggests the tail of this plane falls off from fatigue at 1440 hours of flight time. The boss points out that the plane model has been in service a while, and if this is true, shouldn't the public be notified? Stewart's scientist says wait till his own, slow-running ground test is complete, science need not rush in pursuit of perfection. It's too early to reveal his conclusions and that he never thinks about the people affected by his calculations, or the sheer horror of the responsibility would paralyze him from working, much like a doctor who had to feel every pain he was inflicting on a patient in order to save him.

Some time later, one of the planes of the type in his experiment crashes in a distant location, but nobody knows about the tail thing yet. The aeronautical outfit that Stewart's character works for is frankly skeptical of his work and doesn't give it much attention, but the new manager is a smart guy and wants the issue followed up, so the agency decides to send Stewart out to look at the crash site and see if he can find evidence for his theory.

It's his first time on any airplane, so he's very curious. The pilots take him to the cockpit mid-flight for a little tour... During the conversation, it comes out that he's on one of the very model of the plane from his experiment, and it has already rolled up 1407 hours of time, with about 12 to go till they make landfall, flying over the Atlantic.

Watching his realization scene is the best part of this otherwise B-movie, as is watching his complete character change and the actions he feels forced to take.

Worth a watch, noting that it was made not far in time from the British Comet jetliner tragedies that has some eerie similarities to parts of the movie. Not a great film, but it has some great moments and is thought-provoking.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Dec 7, 2009 at 10:57:08 pm

Die Hard, baby. Watch it every holiday season, more than once. Starts with "Christmas in Hollis" by Run DMC, ends with "Let it Snow" by Vaughn Monroe, and stays lit up the whole way in between.

In fact, it started a tradition. Like a lot of families, we go to the movies on Christmas - the second busiest movie day of the year, most years - but only if it's a movie with explosions.

Speaking of Reverend Run and Co., YouTube in general is a monument to "too much free time," but this one is pretty spectacular, even by that standard. Hit the HQ button, go full screen, and turn it up. Even if you don't know "Christmas in Hollis," you'll remember the opening riff.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Dec 8, 2009 at 3:36:09 pm

That light show belongs at a Parliament/Funkadelic show, not on my block:-)

I think if that was next door I would sneal over at 3 AM with a pair of pliers and crush a few bulbs here and there. No jury of home owners would convict me.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Dec 8, 2009 at 4:55:08 pm

Elf is one of my all time favorite Christmas movies.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Eric Nicastro
on Dec 8, 2009 at 8:31:46 pm

How can we forget National Lampoons Christmas Vacation. No line is better than when cousin Eddy is emptying the septic tank from his RV in the sewer and says "Shitters full!"

And of course, the only movie you can watch for a straight 24 hours on Christmas and that is A Christmas Story.

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Dec 15, 2009 at 6:05:23 pm

Christmas Vacation has been on heavy rotation. I had forgotten how funny that movie is, and how young Chevy Chase looked.

I enjoy the Santa Clause movies with Tim Allen.

And of course It's a Wonderful Life is the all time best holiday movie - the black and white version.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

mark brisenden
on Jan 15, 2010 at 6:39:49 pm

I love it too. Particularly Michael Caine's Scrooge . And the lovely in gag of a store named 'Micklewhite's' in the background. Which is Caines real surname. Nice.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]