FORUMS: list search recent posts

Harrison Ford back as Han Solo?

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kylee Peña
Harrison Ford back as Han Solo?
on Feb 15, 2013 at 4:45:09 pm

I have no idea why this would break through "Latino Review" but this excitement is starting to clog up my news feed.

What say you, film nerds? I know you all have opinions.

blog: kyleesportfolio.com/blog
twitter: @kyl33t
demo: kyleewall.com

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
Re: Harrison Ford back as Han Solo?
on Feb 15, 2013 at 5:02:38 pm

I'd like to see him retired to the rocking chair on the front porch, with Nathan Fillion taking over the family business. LOL

Interesting that Mark Hamill is now OLDER than Alec Guiness was in 1977. I'll use my last breath to kvetch about the "prequels" but THIS, I'm looking forward to.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Feb 15, 2013 at 5:12:05 pm

I'm assuming Harrison Ford will not be in the majority of the film and will only be in the beginning or something. There is something about Harrison Ford that makes me feel he can still kick butt no matter his age. Maybe it is because he was Indian Jones. I can't wait.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Feb 15, 2013 at 5:12:33 pm

I hope he hides in a refrigerator to survive the next death star explosion.

WENT FOR THE OBVIOUS JOKE. (HIGH FIVES MYSELF)

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Feb 15, 2013 at 5:36:00 pm

Scott, that is great. HIGH FIVES all around for making me laugh.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Kylee Peña
on Feb 15, 2013 at 5:15:33 pm

Guess I'll throw my opinion in here too then.

The reason I don't want to see him as Han again is the same reason I avoid attending funerals. Not out of a lack of respect, but I just prefer to remember people in their prime rather than as a painted-up sack of formaldehyde.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Feb 15, 2013 at 9:34:22 pm

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Feb 16, 2013 at 12:04:33 am

Let's consider the last time Mr Ford resurrected a George Lucas character. Even with Spielberg directing, Indy IV was flawed. Not unwatchable but Shia Labeef was the wrong way to go.

OK this is the last time I'll pick on Spielberg. I've already been asked nicely to stop sending him letters :)

Can it work? Maybe.

I think we grown up kids would rather have seen a sequel to Jedi than the whole prequel trilogy combined. There is a lot riding on this.

If JJ can deliver an interesting story that includes Luke in a light saber duel, Leia in an interesting hairdo, Han and Chewie flying the Falcon and R2 and 3PO providing comic relief, the rest is incidental and they'll get my $13.50 multiple times.

It is like a Disney attraction. You tolerate the cheesy video while waiting in line and the gift shop after the ride, because you know those 3 minutes you are waiting for are exactly what you want.

Go for it JJ. Give Ford some good lines and his death scene.

Mike

Return to posts index

Jeff Breuer
on Feb 16, 2013 at 4:07:50 pm

Apparently the deal has not been confirmed yet. What is know is that Disney has approached him and is trying to get a deal done. But it is still something in the works.

http://collider.com/star-wars-episode-7-han-solo-harrison-ford/

What scares me, like you have mentioned (great frig joke, Scott!) is that Disney just looks like it is money grabbing. I'm afraid they will over-saturate the Star Wars brand and push stuff out just bring in the cash and not because they have terrific stories to tell.

Some reboots (Indy 4, Star Wars, Matrix) just felt like money grabbing after letting the franchise sit. Others others have made it work. I wasn't poetry in motion but I enjoyed Live Free or Die Hard because it wasn't trying to be the original Die Hard, it was trying to be true to the character, but it was mostly a love letter to the outdated 80s action movies. Mission Impossible three came out six years after part two and in my opinion was a hell of a lot more fun (And another Abrams movie!).

The other thing that interests me about all of this Ford playing Solo stuff is that I remember him in the late 90s saying he would never play Han Solo again. So I'm really hoping that he is helping to screen all of this for the fans. He already did Indy 4 so I'm hoping Disney just doesn't buy him out. My hope is that he would say "No way unless it's a terrific story. If I do it I'm going to do something that the fans will love not for a money grab." But then again I don't know how in touch Ford is with what Star Wars fans want.

Time will tell I suppose.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Feb 16, 2013 at 11:23:42 pm

[Mike Cohen] "Even with Spielberg directing, Indy IV was flawed. Not unwatchable but Shia Labeef was the wrong way to go."

I like Shia. If the character wasn't annoying, there'd be no story. LOL Note that Steven had nothing to do with the story. He has always said that George writes 'em, he directs 'em, and as long as George keeps writing 'em, he'll direct 'em.

(This gets to my loyalty observation earlier.)

Considering that the guy who wrote Indy IV was also responsible for Little Orphan Annie Skywalker and The Force = Cooties, Indy IV was a freaking miracle.

Still, I'd contrast Shia with River Phoenix and the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles to say, gol-DURN, there's a TON of life in this character.

The larger challenge is, who's got the guts to decouple Indiana Jones from Harrison Ford, and the heretofore canonical timeline, ie, having conquered the threat of comic books and Commies in the 50s, he must now conquer Beaver and The Beatles, while not crossing the streams with himself in 1962 in American Graffiti.

Because a movie a year with a bullwhip-wielding handsome scholar, a virtual anthropological superhero -- I'M IN! I want more Indiana Jones stories, dammit, and I want them from when Indy was INTERESTING. Thirty more Indy movies, NAZIS ONLY. NOW.

BTW, one of the best lines in movie history, from Indy 3: "Nazis. I hate those guys." If anybody has anything else to say about Nazis, I don't want to hear it.

[Jeff Breuer] "If I do it I'm going to do something that the fans will love not for a money grab."

I think what a lot of fans want is MORE. Which is why I'm not sure there's any such thing as a money grab. The problem with sequels isn't that they exist, it's they're often just not very good. The solution, as you point out with Mission Impossible, is to just make better sequels.

With Die Hard, I especially like that a large part of Die Hard 4 is that, as much as Bruce was willing to not do any more of them, he didn't want to end on the unsatisfying experience of DH3. I certainly felt the same way.

In the DVD commentary, he said that he also felt a need to redeem the entire concept. He said he was getting pitched Die Hard sequels every few months, and the point at which he heard, "It's like Die Hard BUT IN A BUILDING," he thought, wow, okay, time to take back the reins.

[Jeff Breuer] "Some reboots (Indy 4, Star Wars, Matrix) just felt like money grabbing after letting the franchise sit."

A point I think you answered nicely yourself. :-) The problem wasn't that those movies came into being. The problem is that they were no good. I think that there was an audience for each of those that WANTED another movie, that wished there had been something a whole lot sooner.

From another direction: studios weren't making money grabs. They spent real money, on real projects, more often than not with EXACTLY the right casts and crews, with time to develop stories that they hoped would work....and they just didn't.

To bring this back to my idea about Spielberg's legacy being piled with stuff that a lot of people would dismiss as...sub-optimal...my point wasn't just to emphasize his loyalty...which I do believe rally deserves immense attention. It's also to emphasize that he feels a lot differently about sequels than some of YOU do. He obviously LIKES sequels. He does his own, he helps people make theirs.

Look, when HE was going to the movies, he saw his favorite characters constantly. I'm going to use Andy Hardy as an example because I really got into these: 17 in 21 years. I was also obsessed with Rathbone's Sherlock: 14 in SEVEN years. (Mickey Rooney, that lazy bastard.) Johnny Weismuller: 12 Tarzan films in 16 years. Buster Crabbe and Herman Brix were portraying Tarzan AT THE SAME TIME, in both features and serials.

That James Bond feller - 23 films in 50 years.

But Star Wars isn't just one guy. It's an entire universe. Do it like The Avengers. Captain America, Thor, Iron Man AND The Avengers. (And tell me you didn't come away wanting movies for Scarlett and Ruffalo.) I want no fewer than 2 Star Wars universe pictures every year. Three is better, but the whole gang doesn't show up in a single movie except once every 4 or 5 years.

Keep individual characters in rotation - Yoda = Iron Man (biggest budgets, biggest promo tie-ins), Wedge Anitilles, Mace Windu, Shaak Ti (remember, Obi-Wan called her the most cunning Jedi), and frankly, I don't think we've come anywhere near to exploring Obi-wan. Keep those in rotation so that each character gets a movie every two years, before a big convocation later.

Flipping back to Spielberg's background of seeing his favorite movie characters constantly, he came up in TELEVISION. He did the FIRST EPISODE of Columbo, and you need to remember that these weren't hour-long episodes. They were feature films that stood in rotation with other characters' feature-length telefilms (90 minutes, actually), like McCloud and McMillan & Wife. Those three anchored the rotation on Sunday nights, with a wider range of characters on Wednesday nights.

Favorite characters available regularly. In feature-film style formats. But in a series. Kind of like....TV TODAY. With the variation being, cinematic-scale and quality stories, told a week at a time in a series. What's each season of Breaking Bad but a sequel? Or actually, 6+ sequels, because each season is roughly six movies long.

Each season of Breaking Bad COULD be seen as a money grab -- yeah, they keep shoveling this guy at us -- except that they're all pretty good. I don't know about you, but I'm nowhere near ready to see this guy's story end.

I'm rambling here, but my point is that there's very nearly no such thing as a money grab. For every movie with crappy sequels, there's an audience who wants the sequels to be better...and a lot of times, the sequels DO get better.

And Spielberg doesn't need to make art every time. Not because he doesn't care, but because he DOES. Another week, another story: that's how he was raised as a director. Another few summer, another movie with his favorite character: because that's how he was raised as a moviegoer.

So this was the approach of TV in the late sixties through the 70s: do the exact same thing as Tarzan, Sherlock and Andy Hardy: instead of a movie a year with each character, do one a month, group 'em with a couple of others, and own the year in your timeslot. It worked for many years.

Which is why I think that the problem is that there are too FEW Indy pictures, too FEW Star Wars pictures. I'd like more pictures with Avengers characters. Keep 'em coming. Don't make every single one of them carry the weight of the entire universe on their shoulders.

In other words, now that cinema's values have inhabited TV, and TV is the place for character-based drama, let the TV approach breathe life back into character-based universes in the movies -- which is where TV got the idea in the first place, from sequels coming very often more than once a year.

More of these. Not less.

Tim Wilson
Vice President, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Feb 17, 2013 at 12:06:03 am

[Tim Wilson] "Keep 'em coming. Don't make every single one of them carry the weight of the entire universe on their shoulders. "

I agree, I like the idea of more smaller, character driven Star Wars films. What makes me most excited about the concept is the talent involved in making these. Sure they might get shoveled off to the usual suspects... but what if, out of nowhere, say, Darren Aronofsky felt like directing a 90 minute Obi-Wan adventure? Or Brad Bird really wanted to make a Boba Fett movie? Or Tarantino got really high on [life] one night and wrote the screenplay for Chewbacca's origin story? Then Oliver Stone directed it? But he changed so much about it that Tarantino wanted his name taken out of the credits?

OK, wait, I think was Natural Born Killers. But you get what I'm saying, right? There is great possibility for these little Star Wars movies to be wildly and excitingly different from each other. And then, like Tim suggested, the whole gang gets together for the big, over-the-top, cookie cutter Star Wars treatment we're probably expecting.

Or they'll just get Brett Ratner and Paul W.S Anderson to direct the side stories, and they'll most likely suck.

[Tim Wilson] "Thirty more Indy movies, NAZIS ONLY. NOW."

It's still early in the year, but 2013's Comment of the Year now has a front runner.

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Feb 17, 2013 at 1:06:48 am

Disney has not mentioned owning Indiana Jones yet. Harrison Ford may actually be working on a multi picture deal to plan Han and Indy one more time. I'm down with that.

Return to posts index

Kylee Peña
on Feb 18, 2013 at 2:56:37 pm

[Scott Roberts] "Or Tarantino got really high on [life] one night and wrote the screenplay for Chewbacca's origin story?"

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Feb 20, 2013 at 3:18:24 am

Rather than starting a new thread, here is a fascinating link about some folks building a full scale Millenium Falcon in Tennessee:

http://fullscalefalcon.com/

Maybe they can sell it to Disney.

Over the years there has been much debate about the actual dimensions and interior layout of the ship nicknamed "ship of mysteries", if it were ever to be built for real. The outside dimensions would need to be unusually large to fit all the interior spaces depicted in the movies, especially the 3 levels of the main hold, engine compartment/smuggling compartments, and the attic, not to mention the turret guns which clearly have 6-8 foot ladders going up and down from the main level.

This is one of those things that happens when set designers do not anticipate geeks taking stuff so seriously!!

There was a full scale ship built for all 3 original movies, but of course it was a shell, and the interior sets were elsewhere. Sadly, the full scale build they did for Jedi was never used in the final film.

Various Lego sets, models and DK diagrams have suggested various interior layouts, based upon the movies. Probably it was a different interior set for SW and Empire, so they just made the parts that were relevant to the story. No top hatch needed in SW, so just stick it wherever in Empire. No turret gun scene in Empire, so just ignore that part. Oh, we need a medical bay for Luke? Just make the set, I'm sure it fits somewhere. Well the diagrams have factored all of these in, as well as a galley and a bathroom - after all, traveling through hyperspace requires board games, coffee and a toilet!

Based upon this diagram, you can understand why it took a squad of Stormtroopers to search the ship
http://www.bitrebels.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Millennium-Falcon-Bluep...

Here's the DK version which is quite densely packed and good at hiding the parts we are most interested in seeing. DK represents Lucasfilm pseudo-canon
http://crommo.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/millennium_falcon_cross-section.j...

This one is probably more likely as it takes into account all the machinery needed
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20070217174804/starwars/images/8/8f/M...

Here's an attempt to scale it to an actual person, which seems to ignore the fact that a full sized Wookie can stand up in the below deck engine compartment
http://www.therpf.com/attachments/f11/screen-accurate-millennium-falcon-coc...

This one is made to look official - way too little space for engines
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb305/Darth_Simmons/Millennium_Falcon_Ol...

This one goes back almost to the beginning of the internet:
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h4/Millennium_Falsehood/Concepts%20and%20...

Ok, that's my contribution to the geek world. Mark, you're up.

Mike C

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Feb 20, 2013 at 4:20:48 am

Oh, I'm busy scripting so can't participate fully except to mention that a developer wanted to build a starship Enterprise hotel and convention center, full-scale:

http://collider.com/star-trek-enterprise-vegas/

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Feb 20, 2013 at 5:02:10 am

In related nerdiness, some guy built a awesome 140 square foot diorama of the Hoth battle... In his living room! Pretty awesome stuff. My girlfriend didn't even like it when I put a free Avengers poster on the back of our bathroom door. I wonder what she'd do if I turned our living room into Tatooine...? Off to go buy some sand!

http://www.geekologie.com/2013/02/wow-guy-builds-140-square-foot-diorama-o....

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Feb 20, 2013 at 6:12:58 am

She might not like that:

Return to posts index

Kylee Peña
on Feb 20, 2013 at 4:56:59 pm

Every link and video embed in this thread is outstanding.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Feb 20, 2013 at 5:40:39 pm

[Scott]
My girlfriend didn't even like it when I put a free Avengers poster on the back of our bathroom door. I wonder what she'd do if I turned our living room into Tatooine...?

Is the person who built the diorama married?

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Mar 6, 2013 at 4:17:07 pm

Looks like Carrie Fisher will be in the next Star Wars. And some punk writer had to use this as a head line: Carrie Fisher dusts off THAT bikini for Star Wars VII

Did anyone see or more importantly hear the carrie fisher weight watchers commercial? I really hope she is a cameo and that the writer has something great in the works.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Mar 6, 2013 at 11:18:30 pm

Presumably 30 years after Jedi, Leia will be supreme chancellor, Han will be a General of the Republic fleet along with Akbar, and Luke will be head of the Jedi Council. The main action should follow the formula of the Clone Wars series in which we see the geezers once in a while for wisdom but the fighting is done by the new generation played by hip young unknown actors.
Or they could revisit the hero's journey formula of the 1977 original and have some quest that requires getting the band back together.

Mike Cohen

PS. I heard that Lucas has a rider on his purchase and sale agreement with Disney stating:

Any future numbered episodes must include at least five of the following:

Gungans
Pod racing
Lazer swords
785 composited shots minimum
An unlikely character (ie. 8 year old child)
Cliffhanger every 15 minutes
Use of 1138 in dialogue
Conference room scenes
Anything about trade disputes
A character based upon one of ten Mattel prototype dolls

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Mar 7, 2013 at 8:28:30 pm

Here is a pretty nice article on how the whole deal with Disney transpired

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-03-07/how-disney-bought-lucasfilm...

Lucas included his treatments for Episodes 7,8 and 9 in the deal and is consulting on the movies.

Read for yourself.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Mar 8, 2013 at 4:12:00 pm

Thanks Mike, that was an interesting article.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Mar 12, 2013 at 3:53:09 am

Latest news is that The Clone Wars series is winding down and may finish up somewhere other than Cartoon Network. Also a comedy series involving Seth Green and others has been shelved so as to not compete with excitement over Episode 7.

http://starwars.com/news/a-new-direction-for-lucasfilm-animation.html

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]