FORUMS: list search recent posts

Free Criterion Collection Films All Weekend

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Roberts
Free Criterion Collection Films All Weekend
on Feb 15, 2013 at 12:24:46 am

Just to let everyone know, because this is freakin awesome news, all of the Criterion Collection films on Hulu will be free to watch all weekend! It will be hard to pick which ones to squeeze in!

http://www.slashfilm.com/criterions-catalog-free-on-hulu-all-weekend/

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
Re: Free Criterion Collection Films All Weekend
on Feb 15, 2013 at 1:37:18 am

[Scott Roberts] " It will be hard to pick which ones to squeeze in!
"

Well, there's the topic for the rest of the thread. :-) Let the recommendations begin!

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Feb 15, 2013 at 5:04:07 pm

I used to watch Criterion movies all the time in film school (laa-dee-daa) when they were free to rent from the school library. Just based off browsing the choices on the Hulu Criterion front page, I'd recommend these (mostly) classic films (I notice they don't have EVERY film available):

The Tin Drum
Kwaidan
House (amazingly crazy, love it)
La Jetee
Walkabout
The 400 Blows
Weekend
Shoot the Piano Player
Night and Fog
Smiles of a Summer Night
The Kid
Knife in the Water
Yojimbo
Throne of Blood
Rashomon
Man Bites Dog

And I obviously won't be able to watch all of these films, but I made a queue of stuff I'm interested in checking out. Unless, say, any of you have any opinions on any of these films to avoid...?

Black Moon
Boy
Chinese Roulette
City Lights
Come on Children
Cronos
Daisies
Down By Law
El Norte
Equinox
Overlord
Princess From the Moon
Quadrophenia
Satan's Brew
Summer with Monika
The Cars that Ate Paris
The Gold Rush
The Hidden Fortress (can't believe I've never seen this, watching it first)
The Magician
The Most Dangerous Game
The Plumber
The Sword of Doom
Through a Glass Darkly
Youth in Fury

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Feb 15, 2013 at 5:59:33 pm

The Rules of The Game is inarguably one of the greatest movies ever made. That's it. Stop arguing. It's inarguable. Yeah yeah, a 1939 French comedy of manners directed by Jean Renoir, but you know the Sight & Sound poll every 10 years? In 1972, 82 and 92, it was #2 on the list, behind Citizen Kane. In 2002, #3 behind Kane and Vertigo. In 2012, #4 behind Vertigo, Kane, and Tokyo Story, also part of the festivities at Hulu. So maybe its reputation is slipping LOL...but no question, one of the greats.

Another dandy French flick is Truffaut's Belle et La Bette (Beauty and The Beast). Gorgeous cinematography. I mean GORRRRRGEOUSSSSS. Few films have even tried to look this good.

One of those is another French picture, The Passion of Joan Of Arc. Wanna see where the idea of movies as art began? Start here. Absolutely overwhelming. Needless to say, it flopped at the time, the director sued that the studio recut to appease Catholics, and the English banned it. But you just need to know that it's amazing, one of the first movies that tried to be great, and one of the first that actually was.

Three classics from a wave of amazing Australian films in the 70s: Walkabout, the second from Nicolas Roeg, definitely making use of his background as a DP. Gorgeous and creepy; and The Last Wave by Peter Weir (Witness), starring Richard Chamberlain retained under mysterious circumstances to defend an Aborigine against murder charges, and Chamberlain's dreamtime hallucinations appear to start having bizarre connections to the weather. Picnic At Hanging Rock is probably even better -- disappearance of schoolgirls, Australian outback, creepy creepy creepy. You won't go wrong with any of these.

The Ruling Class sounds campy, and starts that way: young Peter O'Toole is a crazy rich kid who thinks he's Jesus! Hahaha! A twee smiley thing, tittering at its own transgressions...until it goes way, way dark.

You're either in or you're out on silent movies, but it's with good reason that The Gold Rush and City Lights are considered two of the towering achievements of the era. The former is more brazen - it's almost impossible to imagine anyone even trying it - and while the latter shows Chaplin at his sappiest, it's undeniably moving. They'd be toward the top of my "required viewing" list under any circumstances.

(Note that the cool kids will probably point you to The Kid and Modern Times. Sure, fine. But I'm not that cool.)

Quadrophenia should have been better...but it was still pretty good. The book (and it was a book) that came with the original album was incredibly ambitious, a gorgeous gray-scale epic very much along the lines of the album cover, sharply evoking the nightmares of youth even more than a hazy fondness. The movie is understandably (and appropriately) more colorful. But for any fan of rock and roll, England in the early 60s, certainly The Who - a no-brainer, and a lot of fun. Also includes a small distinctive role for Sting as the prettiest, coolest one of the sharp-dressed gang, all sleek suits and shiny ties. Yes, there was a time when kids in suits and ties were the most likely to erupt into gang violence.

The Seventh Seal - gotta do it.

Eraserhead is worth a spin, because it's not available on disk at all. David Lynch's debut, incredibly audacious...at the time. Now it's like if John Waters tried to make a Bunuel movie. If that sounds good to you, you'll dig it. But definitely worth at least clicking through for a few minutes here and there, regardless. He came out swinging, to say the least.

Hoop Dreams is a terrific documentary, on Ebert's list of the all-time greats of any genre: the fates of two teenage boys who hope that success in the NBA will save them.

M is Fritz Lang's masterpiece, with Peter Lorre as a child murderer. Harrowing, even 80 years later. Certainly no easier to watch now, but a shattering performance by Lorre that makes it worth the effort...but you really have to be ready for a challenge....but if you are....

There are what, TWO on my list that are on Scott's? Somebody could easily make a list as long as ours combined and not include ANY titles that either of us did. Crazy to see what's available there.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Feb 15, 2013 at 6:10:15 pm

I concur on Rules of the Game, Eraserhead, and especially Hoop Dreams. I love Hoop Dreams quite a bit. There aren't many three hour documentaries I'd repeat view, but I've seen Hoop Dreams three times.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Feb 15, 2013 at 6:34:11 pm

[Scott Roberts] "There aren't many three hour documentaries I'd repeat view, but I've seen Hoop Dreams three times."

I'm not convinced that most movies need to be over 100 minutes, and damn near NONE of them need to go 130...but this one moved so quickly and powerfully, I had no memory whatsoever of it being 3 hours long. Truly a gem.

Tim Wilson
Vice President, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]