FORUMS: list search recent posts

Things to do in Denver when you're Waiting for a RedEye

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Cohen
Things to do in Denver when you're Waiting for a RedEye
on Feb 14, 2013 at 12:29:51 am

Back in November I went to see Skyfall on a gigantic non-IMAX screen at the Northfield Cinema in Denver, to pass the time before a 1am flight home. It was actually very enjoyable.

This time around I went to see Broken City. Not because I really wanted to see it, but because it was the only movie starting at 8pm and ending before 11pm, allowing 2 hours to return the rental car and navigate the vast underground complex of DIA.

As it happens it was a nice cop thriller. Mark Wahlberg basically plays two characters - a cop with a score to settle, or a criminal with a score to settle. Based upon the trailer for Michael Bay's new movie Pain and Gain, Mark Wahlberg is making another good choice!

Anyway, you have Russel Crowe playing the mayor of New York, and Marky Mark as a police detective who does something to get kicked off the force. 7 years later he is a private eye, complete with a seedy office with a frosted glass door and a sexy assistant, and he gets a call from the mayor to help him investigate the mayor's cheating wife. As one would expect from this setup, chaos ensues.

No big explosions or car chases or shootouts - mostly talking with some helicopter shots of NY to make you believe this was not actually filmed in New Orleans. Overall it was an enjoyable movie, but they should hand out Cliff Notes when you buy your ticket because it is rather confusing.

A nice showing by Jeffrey Wright as the police commissioner, and a role similar to his other background roles, though I have been instructed to see Basquiat ASAP.

Catherine Zeta Jones seems to have had some work done because I kept wondering who she was until the credits. I keep forgetting she is only a couple of years older than I am.

Overall I think you could wait for the rental, but if you have a couple of hours to waste it is not a bad choice.

Coming in May, the next installment.

Mike Cohen

PS - The theater in Aurora is still closed though I have worked with some of the medical providers who rendered care to the shooting victims.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
Re: Things to do in Denver when you're Waiting for a RedEye
on Feb 14, 2013 at 3:06:56 pm

Broken City was one of those movies that based on the trailer and commercials, I had NO idea what it was actually about, so I kind of avoided it.

[Mike Cohen] "Catherine Zeta Jones seems to have had some work done because I kept wondering who she was until the credits."

Oh she's definitely had some work done. Also, it feels like I haven't seen her in like five years, and now she's back and already in two 2013 films. Is she trying to revive her career? Do people even still care about her?

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
Re: Things to do in Denver when you're Waiting for a RedEye
on Feb 16, 2013 at 12:10:50 am

Funny moment at Golden Globes when Zeta-Jones-Douglas tried to sing a few bars from Les Miz, expecting applause but just getting blank stares. Yep she has graduated to cameos and award show speeches. Because she is married to Michael Douglas we forget she is also not 75.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]