FORUMS: list search recent posts

Jaws: The Revenge Trailer Recut as Awards-Worthy Film

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Roberts
Jaws: The Revenge Trailer Recut as Awards-Worthy Film
on Feb 12, 2013 at 5:48:04 pm

So I'm not exactly proud of myself here, but I got a little bored and then overly-focused last night, and stayed up until 3 AM recutting the trailer for Jaws: The Revenge. But I tried to cut it as if it was a critically acclaimed indie film, instead of giant heap of trash. But to be fair, I've probably seen Jaws: The Revenge over 10 times because it's one of my biggest guilty pleasure films. Anyway, it was probably all for naught, as YouTube likes to take things I have fun spending time on down for copyright infringement. Enjoy it while (if) you can...

Return to posts index

Kylee Peña
Re: Jaws: The Revenge Trailer Recut as Awards-Worthy Film
on Feb 12, 2013 at 6:48:00 pm

I love this so much. Literal spit take at the Palm d'Or slate.

I've never actually seen this film, but after your trailer, I kind of want to. What have you done?

blog: kyleesportfolio.com/blog
twitter: @kyl33t
demo: kyleewall.com

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Feb 12, 2013 at 7:02:50 pm

Thanks! Here, this should cleanse your palate and bring you back to a state of never wanting to watch this whole movie, or make you want to watch it even more, depending on how much you love to watch floating train wrecks. Spoiler alert... it's how the shark dies. But it's ohhh so awesomely bad.

Return to posts index

Kylee Peña
on Feb 12, 2013 at 8:39:45 pm

.....................what.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Feb 12, 2013 at 8:48:34 pm

Amazing what a good trailer can do. When are you going to do a deep thought indie Ninja Turtles?

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Feb 13, 2013 at 8:42:18 pm

Did it also win a Crying Monkey Award?

I preferred the re-cut "Must Love jaws".

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Feb 14, 2013 at 12:09:44 am

apparently great white sharks have cherry Hawaiian Punch for blood!

nicely made indie trailer.

Curious about the original trailer, the internets has provided:

If that is not enough to make you spend $3.50 in 1987 money, check out this tv promotional garbage:

Too bad studios aren't smart enough to send their movie ideas to reviewers BEFORE spending money on them. They could save a lot of money.

YouTube could not provide the video showing Spielberg watching JAWS IV and crying.

Michael Caine was asked if he had ever seen the movie. He replied, "No but I can show you the house it bought."

Fun stuff.

But not as fun as JAWS 3 in 3D.

YouTube seems pretty happy to have this available for $2.99...

And you thought Avatar was the best 3D movie ever.

JAWS 2 was ok, but really JAWS jumped the shark when they made it. The allure of JAWS I was that you barely saw the shark yet it was shocking to 1975 audiences and it was made by Spielberg. The first time you hear the shark theme it is like the first time you hear the Superman theme or Imperial March or a famous guitar lick - it is forever associated with an image and a feeling. Once you try to recycle those themes it comes across as a money grab. Odd that Spielberg put his name on Jurassic Park 2 and 3 which were exactly that, although they were somewhat watchable.

This is where Tim Wilson comes in...

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Feb 14, 2013 at 12:12:41 am

perhaps a silly question, but if one wanted to do a re-cut trailer, how would one get the movie file?

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Feb 14, 2013 at 1:42:19 am

[Mike Cohen] "Michael Caine was asked if he had ever seen the movie. He replied, "No but I can show you the house it bought.""

He's been very blunt about having spent much of his career doing jobs just for the money. Part of growing up poor, he said -- it was a very, very long time before he was confident he'd get a job after the one he was doing. (And then there was the drink, which he has also been candid about. Kids: drink less.)

He later did some terrific pieces on acting, including a segment of a Siskel & Ebert special called "Actors On Acting," and an Inside The Actor's Studio episode that was far more than just answering silly questions - an actual acting workshop. I learned a lot about how to watch actors from that.

Watch Children Of Men again. That performance alone is enough to redeem everything he did and didn't do between that and Alfie...a tour de force that many of you kids probably miss. Also one of the great scores of all time, by Sonny Rollins.

[Mike Cohen] "Once you try to recycle those themes it comes across as a money grab. Odd that Spielberg put his name on Jurassic Park 2 and 3 which were exactly that, although they were somewhat watchable.

This is where Tim Wilson comes in..."

Thanks for that great introduction, Mike. Ladies and gentlemen, let's hear it again for Mike Cohen!

[applause aplenty]

Here's the thing I love about Spielberg: he has very low standards, in the best possible way.

He did a lot of truly fantastic work in TV when he was getting started. The TV movie "Duel" was his first feature (Dennis Weaver as a driver being terrorized by an 18-wheeler: Kylee, rent this STAT), but he also did a couple of segments for Rod Serling's Night Gallery, the FIRST EPISODE of Columbo (truly remarkable - I LOVED that; like Duel, a feature that can stand on its own on anyone's resume), and a bizarre little movie that followed Duel, called Something Evil.

Those of you in your late 40s to early 50s will remember child actor Johnny Whittaker - Jody on A Family Affair, "Napoleon and Samantha" with Jodie Foster, etc. Here he plays a demonically possessed child of Darrin McGavin (playing a TV producer!!!) and Sandy Dennis...with a twist. Does the phrase, "the monster is never shown" mean anything to you?

Thaaat's right. They didn't actually show what you'd think was the ONLY thing that they'd be interested in showing.

You didn't see this. I did. It was as goofy as it sounds in a lot of ways, but quite chilling in its own 1973 TV-movie way.

I didn't know this at the time, but the editor was Verna Fields. And when Steve had ANOTHER movie to edit where he didn't show the monster, guess who he called? Yep, Verna edited Jaws.

(Jaws was Steve's SECOND theatrical feature. His first was the unjustly forgotten tragedy Sugarland Express, which she also edited.

She also edited one of my top 5 or 6 all-time movies, What's Up Doc for Peter Bogdanovich.)

Once you've directed Dabney Coleman and Pat Harrington Jr (that's right, SCHNEIDER, bitches) in TV movies, your work becomes about your WORK, rather than your legacy.

Take a look at his complete filmography some time. I think you'll be stupefied by how little of it you've seen or even heard of. Certainly how little of it you associate with him.

His first gig as Executive Producer was Zemeckis's I Wanna Hold Your Hand. A gem. Steve EP'd Bob's next movie, Used Cars, starring Kurt Russell and Jack Warden. (Wait, what? Zemeck...wha?)And...
  • Continental Divide (Belushi and Blair Brown. Bought it on laser disk. LOL)
  • You probably remember he EP'd Gremlins...and Gremlins 2...
  • but Harry & The Hendersons?
  • *batteries not included
  • Joe vs. The Volcano
  • Gooonies
  • The Mask of Zorro (Banderas, Zeta-Jones, Anthony Hopkins - OMG I LOVE THIS. Bought on both laser disk and DVD)
  • All 3 Back To The Futures of course...and Roger Rabbit...
  • ...and ALL THREE TRANSFORMERS movies...plus the upcoming one...
  • Real Steel (better than you think)
  • Cowboys Vs. Aliens (no idea why this wasn't better)
  • ....wait, Deep Impact?
  • Twister! (Bought it on laser disk...not on DVD LOL)
  • Balto
  • Casper
  • The FLINTSTONES?!? (Cameo as Steven Spielstone, hahaha, as clever as the movie got)'>

Not altogether busting his chops. As I mentioned, I love a lot of these admittedly lesser movies. He also EP'd Eastwood's WWII pictures, Cape Fear for Scorsese, True Grit for the Coens, The Lovely Bones for Peter Jackson, and many other prestige pictures.

Sensing a pattern here? NO. THERE IS NO PATTERN.

Actually, there's a BIG one: loyalty. For example, there's a bunch of Zemeckis. The 4 with Bay. The 3 with Sonnenfeld. A bunch of these movies (throw in Always) star John Goodman. A BUNCH of pics with Tom Hanks - Joe vs. The Volcano of course, but jeez louise - Band of Brothers, The Terminal, Catch Me If You Can...)Of course JP and Indiana Jones. If you're in a relationship with Steven, you STAY in a relationship with Steven.

(See also: Roy Schieder in SeaQuest 2032)

I'll kid about his choices all day long, but I LOVE this about him. Has ZERO to do with grabbing money.

Also amazing to me that he has spent easily half of his career in TV, and more than half of that in animation.

Live-action includes the HIGHLY unlikely United States of Tara (working with Juno scribe Diablo Cody - starring Toni Colette with multiple personality disorder - you saw all three seasons on Showtime, right? I did), Terra Nova and of course Amazing Stories...which was in fact amazing. And Animated hits:

Pinky & The Brain
    Animaniacs (99 episodes!!)
    A couple of Fievel shows and TV movies
    Tiny Toon Adventures...and Toonsylvania...

Those are off the top of my head, and I know I'm leaving a bunch out...but you get the gist. HUNDREDS of episodes of TV, maybe another hundred hours of movies that have probably flown entirely under your radar.

I admire the shit out of the guy for this, every bit as much as for his masterpieces. Every single second that wasn't spent making his own movies, a bajillion TV shows, and children (SIX of 'em!) has been spent taking care of his friends.

We will never see anybody like him again, either as a film/TV maker or a friend.

I'm still going to make fun of him whenever I can. LOL I'm a dick, and he can take it. And he knows I love him.

So anyway, Duel was so well-received as a TV movie that it was later released theatrically. No kidding: Steven Spielberg, Dennis Weaver and A TRUCK. THAT IS ALL.

And a little Sonny Rollins flavor, the end credits from Alfie. You could never get away with something this psychotic today, but whenever I see yet another post about "how can I get my FCP credit rolls not to flicker," I think "Use Boris FX," followed IMMEDIATELY by, "Why are you so committed to doing things in the most boring possible way?"

Still, this is nuts.

Tim Wilson
    Vice President, Editor-in-Chief
    Creative COW

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Feb 14, 2013 at 1:57:46 am

Hey, and awesome trailer, Scott! Love it!

And yes, I saw this in theaters. "This time it's personal." I remember thinking, "WTF is Michael Caine doing here?" I also remembered Lance Guest (his first big role after Last Starfighter)...but Mario Van Peebles in dreads? Definitely forgot that. LOL

Terrific idea, stuck the landing. Your trailer, not the movie. LOL

Return to posts index

Kylee Peña
on Feb 14, 2013 at 2:08:48 am

[Tim Wilson] "Kylee, rent this STAT"

It'll be a great day when I stop getting name checked for anything having to do with trucking. And...sigh. I've seen it. It was part of what made me uneasy about trucks so you might say things are going quite well for me.

The pattern of the Spielberg EP'd films: they're all freakin' awesome.

WTF is a laser disc??

(Kidding. Sort of. I've watched one but I know nothing about the format.)

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Feb 14, 2013 at 6:43:16 am

[Kylee Wall] "It'll be a great day when I stop getting name checked for anything having to do with trucking. "

You apparently don't understand how these things work.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Feb 14, 2013 at 3:18:44 pm

[Mike Cohen] "perhaps a silly question, but if one wanted to do a re-cut trailer, how would one get the movie file?"

I've HEARD that you can use Handbrake in situations like that to create a movie file, but that's only if you had said DVD in your possession. Or so I've been told... :)

Return to posts index

Kylee Peña
on Feb 14, 2013 at 3:31:53 pm

Or use MPEG Streamclip because Handbrake is the worst.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Feb 14, 2013 at 3:36:56 pm

Well, yeah MPEG Streamclip is better, but sometimes it can't handle Hollywood DVDs...

Return to posts index

Kylee Peña
on Feb 14, 2013 at 3:55:18 pm

Ah, I've only had issues like that with Handbrake.

Wait, I mean, I've never had issues like this because I'd never rip a Hollywood DVD.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Feb 14, 2013 at 4:20:32 pm

Some people like to back up a few of the DVDs they own. Fair Use represent!

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Feb 14, 2013 at 6:12:30 pm

Jaws 3 in 3D. What about Jaws 19 in holographic 3D?

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Jeff Breuer
on Feb 14, 2013 at 8:35:26 pm

"Drowning in Guilt" -- Love it! God job Scott, I'm a big fan of recut trailers. I'll post it up on my social media stuff.

Tim- Thanks for the history lesson on Spielberg, good insight into the connection of the friendships.

Did any of you catch the promo on TCM where Michael Caine talks about coming to Hollywood and hanging out with Gary Cooper (later in his life). Apparently the two were hanging out outside of a hotel and a woman got excited when she saw Michael Caine. She told him that she came out to Hollywood and he was the first movie star she saw. She then turned to Gary Cooper and said, "Can you believe it?" Cooper just shrugged and said, "You never know." Great story. Perhaps that would be like someone today seeing Bieber and missing Robert Redford.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]