FORUMS: list search recent posts

Top Gun: An IMAX 3D Experience

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Smith
Top Gun: An IMAX 3D Experience
on Feb 1, 2013 at 8:42:18 pm

In honor of Top Gun I thought I would post the Pepsi commercial that was at the start of the VHS tape my family owned.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
Re: Top Gun: An IMAX 3D Experience
on Feb 1, 2013 at 9:38:25 pm

Now this is a 3D conversion I might actually want to see. The sweat beads dripping down 1986 Kelly McGillis in 3D might be worth the $12.50 alone.

Val Kilmer, Anthony Edwards, Tom Skeritt - you and your 80's movies are sorely missed!

The conversion was done by the same company that worked on Hugo and Alice in Wonderland - not that I saw the 3D version of those but presumably the conversions passed muster with Burton and Scorsese.

The dogfight scenes in 3D might require vomit bags at every seat however.

If they were really on top of things, they would have also converted this to 48fps and replaced all the sidewinder missiles with walkie talkies!

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Feb 1, 2013 at 9:56:24 pm

[Mike]
If they were really on top of things, they would have also converted this to 48fps and replaced all the sidewinder missiles with walkie talkies!

Genius!!!

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Feb 1, 2013 at 10:31:36 pm

I can't speak to Tom Cruise, but McGillis plays for the opfor team, so to speak. Better select zone five and extend.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Feb 4, 2013 at 9:25:12 am

Note that Legend's work on Hugo was strictly on the Méliès footage, a tiny part of the film. The movie itself was shot in native 3D with ARRI Alexa cameras.

(Too bad you only saw the cynical studio money-grab version of Hugo, rather than the version that Scorsese made. The 3D cinematography deserved the Oscar it won.)

The largest chunk of Legend's work I've seen in one place was on Transformers: Dark Of The Moon, 78 minutes of their conversion intercut with the live-acquired footage. I thought it was really remarkable. This bodes well for Top Gun I think.

Interesting how this has all come around, though, isn't it? There was a time when "conversion" was one of the filthiest words in the critical lexicon, yet many naysayers are more excited about conversions like this, Jurassic Park, the Pixar and Disney movies, etc than they've ever been about native 3D pictures....maybe more than they ever will be....

Return to posts index

Jeff Breuer
on Feb 6, 2013 at 3:43:36 pm

Classic! I remember TV commercials before the feature on VHS. The one that always comes to mind for me is the Pizza Hut commercial before the first Turtles movie.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Feb 6, 2013 at 3:58:20 pm

Jeff, I completely forgot about that commercial. I always ended up playing right field so I did like this commercial. Loved those Ninja Turtles.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Feb 6, 2013 at 7:33:38 pm

Top Gun must be the moist-est movie I ever saw; Watch it again and you'll see that someone is wet, sweating, or toweling off in just about every scene.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]