FORUMS: list search recent posts

We have a Director! (I think...)

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Roberts
We have a Director! (I think...)
on Jan 25, 2013 at 12:24:23 am

Word on the street is this is a more accurate report than the others:

http://www.thewrap.com/movies/article/jj-abrams-set-direct-next-star-wars-f...

But it looks like JJ is our guy...! Thoughts?

I think my thoughts right now are kind of along the lines of... "Cooooooool?" and "I guuuuueeeeessssssss...?" and "Might have been more exciting with someone out of genre who didn't already direct Star Wars' nerdy rival films."

Regardless, we now have something to post in our "Most Anticipated Movies of 2015" thread. (edit: Oh, Mike did already add it, haha!)

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
Re: We have a Director! (I think...)
on Jan 25, 2013 at 1:55:37 pm

JJ = Spielberg protege. Spielberg should have directed the prequels. We know he helped a little with Ep 3. So we may actually get non-wooden characters.

Lots of opportunities for lens flares in the SW universe.

I'm satisfied.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Kylee Peña
on Jan 25, 2013 at 3:08:42 pm

Feels like a safe choice, but at least you know he'll treat the franchise with the level of care any gigantic Star Wars fan would if they had the ability to direct a major film. I think he'll bring the basics everyone loved about episodes 4-6 with a nice twist.

I really wanted to see someone do something radically different in the universe (and who knows, maybe he will) but there's always episode 8 or 9 or 47.

I just hope Lindelof has nothing to do with the script.

blog: kyleesportfolio.com/blog
twitter: @kyl33t
demo: kyleewall.com

Return to posts index

Jeff Breuer
on Jan 25, 2013 at 3:18:48 pm

I agree Kylee. I was happy to hear his name in the mix, but when I heard his reasons for turning it down I had a lot of respect for him. I'm sure it is not easy to turn down the opportunity to do a Star Wars movie. So when he changed his mind I was kind of turned off by it. But he is a great storyteller so I'm sure it will be fine. As long as Trekkies and (What do you call Star Wars fans?) can be OK with sharing.

I also hope that he doesn't become so consumed with directing franchises that he abandons his original stories. I think that could be the worst possible outcome of this.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 25, 2013 at 3:59:56 pm

Death Star weapon revised to dispence sunspot-sized lens flares?

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jan 25, 2013 at 6:37:45 pm

I don't like anything about this.

My first reaction was that it's too much power for one guy to have, helming both Star Trek and Star Wars. I have no doubt that he can keep them straight (don't cross the streams!), but I don't think having The star Trek Guy becoming The Star Wars Guy is adding value to the Star Wars franchise, which, frankly needs some value added back to it.

I was thinking about the last few JJ projects though, and having profoundly mixed feelings. Nice job on Ghost Protocol, I'm enjoying Person of Interest a lot...but Revolution tastes like the equivalent of Hunger Games hot dog water (especially harsh coming from a vegan), Undercovers was hideous, Super 8 was meh, Alcatraz WTF, Morning Glory wha? -- he doesn't feel like the guy to breathe new life into a franchise that desperately needs it.

We don't even know if he has two good Star Trek movies in him yet.

I don't have anybody better in mind, but I think I'd be happier with somebody a lot younger and brasher. Lucas wasn't a child -- he was 32 -- but whatever I think he screwed up in the franchise (uhm, almost everything by the end), he didn't owe anybody anything. He didn't take any prisoners. He's a hero to me for that.

Bazillions of dollars later, it's necessarily different...but everything about Abrams feels like the same safe, deflated, defanged, brand-oriented, straight down the middle nonsense that got us here.

I wouldn't mind being wrong. I hope that the second Star Trek is as much fun as the first (saw it twice in theater, own it, seen it a couple dozen times), but to Jeff's point, on top of everything that annoys and disappoints me about this for Star Wars, it annoys and disappoints me about Abrams too.

I'm liking this whole thing less the more I talk about it, so I'll stop...for now. LOL No promises after I actually post this.

Can't have too many lens flares. Can't be done. In fact, I want MORE lens flares in ST2 than last time, or it's a failure on principle.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 25, 2013 at 6:56:37 pm

You know who knows story and how to tell it, that would take good care of a Star Wars franchise...

J. Michael Straczynski.

He really learned so much doing Babylon 5 in terms of managing story arcs, plots, as well as getting some really awesome performances out of his stars. All he was lacking was time and a budget. Now he'd also have those.

Return to posts index

Saied Marham
on Jan 25, 2013 at 7:07:50 pm

I'm going off topic a little, but Straczynski needs to push Babylon 5 for a deserving remaster. To have a series shot on 35mm film at 16:9 but all visual effects only on NTSC at 4:3 has led to an unfortunate situation, and it would be great to see that finally fixed.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jan 26, 2013 at 2:31:13 pm

McG. That's who they shoulda gone with. McG.

In more JJ Abrams news this week, Fox has ordered a pilot for a new show from him, "an action-packed buddy cop show, set in the near future, when all LAPD officers are partnered with highly evolved human-like androids."

That's an actual quote. From an actual show. From the guy now in charge of both Star Trek AND Star Wars. EW is calling it Stop Or My Droid Will Shoot.*

Abrams actually got TWO pilot orders this week. The other is from ABC, a show in which “an unlikely relationship develops between a young girl with a gift and a man sprung from prison who has been tasked with protecting her from the evil elements that hunt her power.”

What the...??

I feel a little better about this one knowing that it's from Alfonso Cuaron, with Abrams producing, but yipes....creepy much?

And actually, Cuaron would have been a good choice. Maybe even better than McG.

*Please tell me you've seen the Sly Stallone-Estelle Getty classic they reference. At this point I'd almost rather have THAT dude in charge of Star Wars.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 26, 2013 at 4:23:00 pm

How... innovative....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holmes_%26_Yo-Yo

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jan 26, 2013 at 6:28:31 pm

[Mark Suszko] "How... innovative...."

I know!

That one was intentionally goofy, but Mann & Machine was a Dick Wolf/Robert De Laurentis series on NBC! Yancey Butler was the android cop learning to feel, blah blah blah. Four eps aired before it was yanked, and a few more aired that summer.

Not that you can't do old ideas better, of course. There are two really good, very different modern-era Sherlock series on TV right now, and there have been a dozen other adaptations of the character that are very good.

But no doubt, for all that robot sidekicks have been around for a long time, including on TV with Hymie as a recurring law enforcement character on Get Smart, Holmes and Yo-Yo was the originator.

Kicking around the notion of originality and Abrams, one of the things that always amazed me about Lost is that a network president came up with the idea, and pitched it to Abrams. Despite some familiar elements, its early seasons strike me as some of the most original TV ever.

In fact, it wasn't even the first crash-landed survivors series on ABC - that would be The New People (1969) from Rod Serling, who might have felt some fatherly pride in aspects of Lost.

Until it pissed him off in the last season. LOL

Anyway, there's original, there are original approaches to familiar material....and then there's cops and robots partners.

Who knows? Maybe they asked Abrams to do Star Wars after McG said no.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 26, 2013 at 8:19:52 pm

"Hymie?!?!?!"

"His FATHER'S name was Hymie!"

/gets me every time. I love Get Smart, was a rabid fan.

I used to watch Holmes and Yoyo as a kid. Awful show, terrible dialog. About on a level of "Mr. T and Tina".

Then again, the theme does have higher aspirations.

Roddenberry's take on it, "The Questor tapes", wasn't a cop show, but explored similar themes. The movie was supposed to kick off a TV series but it didn't happen.

Supposedly, somewhere in Hollywood, Isaac Asimov's "Caves Of Steel" is in development. That could be pretty awesome, if treated right.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jan 26, 2013 at 9:02:23 pm

I was a huge Get Smart fan, too. I used to cut out construction-paper phones and tape them to the sole of my shoe.

As we're connecting dots across galaxies, YoYo was played by John Schuck, who has played a number of supporting roles in the Trek universe, including a Klingon ambassador (credited as Klingon Ambassador) in Star Treks IV and VI, some eps of Voyager and Enterprise, and a number of other sf franchises as well.

(In the "it's a small town after all" category, Schuck's ex later married Leonard Nimoy, who directed Schuck in, ironically enough, "Holy Matrimony.")

He was a cop in that, as well as YoYo of course, as well as the place I first saw him, as a regular on McMillan and Wife, part of the amazing NBC series of Mystery Movies (Columbo, McCloud, et al).

He was also a cop in Brewster McCloud, one of 4 movies he did with Altman, including MASH (where he was the first character in a mainstream movie to drop the F bomb), McCabe & Mrs. Miller and Thieves Like Us.

Schuck became part of a mini-ensemble of largely supporting players that Altman returned to in the 70s. Another of that group was an actor that Altman met at the same time as Schuck, when they were performing together in San Francisco theater, René Auberjonois, who played Odo in Star Trek: Deep Space Nine...where Schuck guested once too!

I'm sure we could keep expanding along these lines, but YoYo to Odo is probably far enough.

Return to posts index

Kylee Peña
on Jan 27, 2013 at 12:05:44 am

[Tim Wilson] "when all LAPD officers are partnered with highly evolved human-like androids"

So Abrams is producing an updated version of "Mac and C.H.E.E.S.E"?

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jan 27, 2013 at 12:49:44 am

Leave it to you to remind all us old people what really matters: Mac Machiavelli and the Computerised Humanoid Electronically Enhanced Secret Enforcer!

I'll see you this awesome still and raise you an HD YouTube clip.

Tim Wilson
Vice President, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW

Return to posts index

Kylee Peña
on Jan 27, 2013 at 3:35:17 am

Coincidentally, Undercovers was also the worst thing ever, and not just on TV.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Jan 28, 2013 at 4:57:27 pm

The internet had a bit fun over the weekend with the whole lens flare angle:

Return to posts index

Kylee Peña
on Jan 28, 2013 at 7:02:00 pm

Really glad you included that last image too.

Return to posts index

Jeff Breuer
on Jan 28, 2013 at 11:44:07 pm

In looking forward it is fun to look back. Playlist posted this 1983 video of Siskel and Ebert defending Return of the Jedi against the horribly pretentious John Simon of the National Review.

You can see the Playlists entire article here.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 29, 2013 at 12:15:01 am

Didn't National Review pan "Wall-E" as "anti-consumer, andti-capitalist, commie liberal global warming alarmist tripe" (paraphrasing) too? And "The Incredibles" as "Against American Exceptionalism"?

Without going into politics, I'll just say that partisan rags on either side are not where I go to get the down-low on films. I'd rather ask people that not only love films but have a hand in making them.

Takes his kids (if he had any, he says) to see "Tender Mercies". Hey, Duval is awesome, and it won two Oscars, but come on, that's not what a kid wants to see on a Saturday Matinee.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jan 29, 2013 at 6:41:13 pm

I love what JJ Abrams did with Star Trek. In an interview he said he made it more like Star Wars and I agree. Star Trek was more like a submarine battle that is slow and tense. Star Wars is more fast paced action. In all seriousness I loved the lens flares on Star Trek. It made the Enterprise fell real high tech.

[Mark Suszko] "How... innovative...."
I watched a show on actors first speaking lines and Jay Leno was on Holmes & Yo-Yo. The robot gets shot and Jay Leno is a mechanic. The cop partner guy asks for oil and Jay asks what kind. He say, the best you got!

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 29, 2013 at 6:50:27 pm

I remember that line:-)

Star Trek movie space battles are visually generally played out like classic sailing ship or battleship maneuvers, ponderous, slow-turning, take all day to fire kind of things... except for the one episode, "Balance of Power" that was a rip-off of "The Enemy Below". it wasn't until DS-9 Episodes that they started getting more 3-d with ship maneuvers in battles.

I use to play the boardgame StarFleet Battles, and my friends would pick the Enterprise, thinking the "hero" ship must always win. They didn't realize while chasing me from behind, that the D-7 Klingon battlecruiser has aft-facing disruptors and photon torpedo tubes. But they soon learned. Quaa'plah!

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jan 30, 2013 at 8:21:27 pm

New Star Wars Trailer by JJ Abrams :-)

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 30, 2013 at 8:50:04 pm

It's missing a part where Leia kills eleventy bad guys with martial arts moves, and a smoke monster comes out of the crater.

Return to posts index

Ronald Lindeboom
on Jan 30, 2013 at 11:30:18 pm

Not that I'm opinionated but Star Wars 1 - 3 need to be flushed down the toilet: all copies, all versions. When Lucas turned The Force into metaclorian bacteria he destroyed all that was left after Jar Jar Binks made it almost laughable. I understood why JJB was there for the little kids of a new generation but why he destroyed the mysticism he created with TF? It's almost like he was giving the audience the finger for not loving Radioland Murders like he and I did. Neither of us have yet forgiven you. :@)

Best regards,

Ronald Lindeboom
CEO Emeritus, Creative COW LLC
Publisher Emeritus, Creative COW Magazine
A 2011 FOLIO: 40 honoree as one of the 40 most influential publishers in America
http://www.creativecow.net

Creativity is a process wherein the student and the teacher are located in the same individual.

"Incompetence has never prevented me from plunging in with enthusiasm."
- Woody Allen

"If we listened to our intellect we'd never have a love affair, we'd never have a friendship, we'd never go into business becausecause we'd be cynical: 'It's going to go wrong, I'll get hurt.' That's nonsense. You're going to miss life. You've got to jump off the cliff and then build your wings on the way down." - Ray Bradbury

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Jan 30, 2013 at 11:47:54 pm

Jedi Master Lin de Boom of planet Mos Robles has spoken.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 31, 2013 at 12:08:52 am

RON! Great to see you in type, sir!

JarJar was a real lost opportunity IMO. Nobody is able to be THAT clumsy AND lucky at the same time; the animated SW series played with this idea a little to suggest that Jar Jar actually had Jedi Force powers, but of a chaotic type that is totally uncontrollable, yet always ends up serving the greater good. Think of the martial arts film "drunken master", where the fighter is only good when blotto. Or like the adage about angels protecting fools.

The animated show depicted a clone trooper figuring this out in one episode, and deliberately sending Jar Jar directly into a personal confrontation with a heavily-armed tank. Thru a farcical chain of improbabilities, he takes out the tank without getting a scratch. There is great story potential in a gimmick like this, if handled right. Lucas of course did not handle this right.

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Jan 31, 2013 at 1:29:27 am

Mark. Happy to see another Clone Wars fan. Some of the episodes strung together would make a much better prequel trilogy. This season has been moved to Saturday morning and is getting more kiddie oriented although seeing a squad of Mandalorians in action was cool.

Regarding the fool who saves the day we have seen this in other characters: Johnny English, Inspector Gadget, etc.

If you recall in Phantom Menace Palatine tricks Jar Jar into calling for a vote giving the chancellor the powers of an emperor. If Jar Jar had just disappeared after Phantom Menace we could have.....you know what, Tim and Ron are right. It was stupid!
May JJ veto any absurd characters that would feel out of place in Empire Strikes Back.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jan 31, 2013 at 5:48:01 pm

[Ron]
Not that I'm opinionated but Star Wars 1 - 3 need to be flushed down the toilet: all copies, all versions. When Lucas turned The Force into metaclorian bacteria he destroyed all that was left after Jar Jar Binks made it almost laughable.

What are your thoughts about the Star Wars Holiday Special :-) By the way, great to hear from you. Hope you are feeling better.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jan 31, 2013 at 8:28:10 pm

This is turning into a Star Wars rant thread, which we do now and again, and which never gets old. LOL

I could feel the thing running off the rails when the Ewoks showed up, but the first warning sign had been Palpatine in Revenge. Wait, what? Darth Vader is a lickspittle? A lackey for Henry F. Potter from It's A Wonderful Life? WTF?

The place where the train flipped over and everyone aboard was killed: that ghosty crap at the end. Yeah yeah, Darth Vader was just a big softie. I get the idea of a dramatic arc, redemption, whatever -- and you can say that well, Lucas was peeling back the layers, showing us something about Vader we didn't know...but seriously, Vader a lickspittle whose heart grew three sizes that day?

I think the biggest problem that most of us have with Lucas's stewardship of Star Wars is that it's like he never actually watched the movies. If he'd watched the first one, Darth wouldn't have been a chump underling punching the clock for The Man. If he'd watched the first two, there would have been no huggy kissy at the end.

"Hey Luke, don't forget your mom's birthday is coming up. I was thinking about stopping by JC Penney and picking her up a new charm for her bracelet. I saved your life and all, you know that whole mineshaft dealy-o, so be cool and pick out, I don't know, maybe a schnauzer charm. She loves those rat bastard dogs! Hahaha! Women, y'know what I'm saying. Anyway, turns out I'm the chosen one, not you, so stop being a douche about it, help the old man out. Hey, and sorry about the hand. Guess I had it coming when you lopped mine off too! Hahaha! What can I say? My old man hacked off my foot. Hahaha! Family, right? What're you gonna do? Anyway, it's all good, buddy! Pour out a 40 for me! And don't forget your mom's birthday!"

And even if he sat through all THAT, he wouldn't have decided that The Force is basically (SPOILER ALERT!) cooties.

So it turns out, yeah, you CAN get The Force from a toilet seat.

No f-in' way, though, did Jake Lloyd and Hayden Christensen grow up to be Vader. My only guess is that everybody calling him Annie is what made him so damn mean....but it didn't make him taller.

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Jan 31, 2013 at 8:48:20 pm

Consider an alternate universe version of the prequels, based upon the canonical actual story from Obi-Wan in the 1977 classic:

A young Jedi named Darth Vader, who was a pupil of mine until he turned to evil, betrayed and murdered your father...

and the continuation / redacted version from Jedi:

...when I met him your father was already a great pilot, but I was amazed out how strongly the force was with him. I thought I could train him as well as Yoda. I was wrong....

All that would have been ok if we got back to Episode 1 - Qui Gonn finds young Anakin, and in his dying wish to his own apprentice, implores Obi-Wan to "train the boy". The Jedi Council had already told Qui Gonn "no freakin' way - the boy is too old."

In the actual movie, after Anakin's heroics blowing up the Trade Federation mothership, the council allows Obi-Wan to train Anakin after all. That's a cop out in order to get two sequels greenlit.

It would have been better if the council said "no" but then Obi-Wan, in a homage to his dead master, secretly trained Anakin on the down low. According to the original trilogy (which will henceforth be known as the only Star Wars Trilogy), Vader's downfall and ruination of the galaxy was pretty much Obi-Wan's fault.

Now if indeed Vader was simply Palpatine's errand boy, then Obi-Wan is further at fault for not teaching Anakin some self-respect.

Now in bizarro Phantom Menace, let's say that we had an older actor playing Anakin. If 8 year old Annie was too old to begin the training, then Luke was wayyy too old to begin the training, as admonished by Yoda in Empire. In 1998 the names DiCaprio and Vanderbeek were thrown around as possibilities. For the sake of argument, let's say they hired DiCaprio. We would have had the same actor in all three movies, and without an 8 year old main character, perhaps we would not have needed a Jar Jar Binks cartoon character as a sidekick.

Is GL aware of the hatred people have for the prequels? I'm not sure it matters. He made 3 movies for the main purpose of pushing the limits of CGI and he did get digital cinema cameras into the mainstream, although Cameron or Jackson would probably have done so otherwise.

Star Wars Pancakes.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jan 31, 2013 at 9:41:15 pm

[Mike Cohen] "Is GL aware of the hatred people have for the prequels?"

Yes, and he whines about it all the time. The most recent one I can think of is from the New York Times on Jan 17, explaining why he's done with Star Wars: “Why would I make any more when everybody yells at you all the time and says what a terrible person you are?”

For the record, everything I've heard indicates that he's a very nice man, and he loves his kids. I wish him well on his upcoming nuptials.

Wah wah wah. All he had to do was not butcher the original 3 movies without preserving the original -- something he begged Congress to make illegal in 1988 -- and not make 3 more that...well, fill in the blank. HFR aside, while some people aren't nuts about The Hobbit, I haven't seen any meaningful talk that PJ has burned the good will of LOTR to the ground.

Here's my favorite quote of George's, maybe ever:

People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an exercise of power are barbarians, and if the laws of the United States continue to condone this behavior, history will surely classify us as a barbaric society.

There's some other great stuff as he goes on:

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be “replaced” by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten.

Note that George has said that no original negatives of The Trilogy remain.

There are those who say American law is sufficient. That’s an outrage! It’s not sufficient! If it were sufficient, why would I be here?

Good question. He doesn't answer it as much as change the subject when he continues:

The public’s interest is ultimately dominant over all other interests.

Attention should be paid to this question of our soul, and not simply to accounting procedures. Attention should be paid to the interest of those who are yet unborn, who should be able to see this generation as it saw itself, and the past generation as it saw itself.

Now, in fairness to the rest of his context, he's making the same argument that Mark Twain did, that no work of art should ever fall into the public domain, that the author and his interests should always be the sole curators of that art, and, Lucas extends the argument, no studio should have the right to alter a filmmaker's work.

He hates that WE bitch about HIS right to alter his own work.

My feeling is, alter away. Do whatever the hell you want. But I guarantee that I've seen the original release of IV in its entirety more times than he has. He may never have stood in a line so long that he had to wait through an entire screening...or two...or more...before he gets in. Ever. We've earned the right to have that version preserved as at least one option.

Or as George put it:

People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an exercise of power are barbarians.

The public’s interest is ultimately dominant over all other interests.

Attention must be paid to this matter of the soul.

I've often said and will say again here that Close Encounters got this right. I fell in love with the first theatrical release, felt meh about the second, and even though Spielberg says that the third version is his idea of canonical, it ain't mine. But I'm glad he got to do it. He SHOULD have done it. And he did it without torching the -- yes, compromised, yes not his preferred version -- original. Plenty of room in the box for all three versions.

re: the prequels, JJ Abrams made an interesting observation, that, because of them, his kid has grown up sympathizing with Anakin Skywalker. Here's my observation: JJ Abrams is a bad father.

LOL KIDDING, HONEST. But this should never have happened. LOL

All of which is a long answer to yes, George knows that we hate the prequels, and he holds us in contempt. We're a big part of why he sold the franchise (giving away all the dough: more evidence that he's a decent guy, way to go) and is only going to do small, personal movies from now on.

Hopefully, he won't destroy the versions of those that people fall in love with.

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Feb 2, 2013 at 1:10:36 am

http://www.featureshoot.com/2013/02/remnants-of-abandoned-star-wars-sets-in...

Tatooine survives Tunisian revolution.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Feb 4, 2013 at 3:56:47 pm

I like the comment, "What would happen if you went there and made a movie using all the old sets? Anyone want to do that?"

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Kylee Peña
on Feb 6, 2013 at 1:35:44 am

[Tim Wilson] ""Hey Luke, don't forget your mom's birthday is coming up. I was thinking about stopping by JC Penney and picking her up a new charm for her bracelet. I saved your life and all, you know that whole mineshaft dealy-o, so be cool and pick out, I don't know, maybe a schnauzer charm. She loves those rat bastard dogs! Hahaha! Women, y'know what I'm saying. Anyway, turns out I'm the chosen one, not you, so stop being a douche about it, help the old man out. Hey, and sorry about the hand. Guess I had it coming when you lopped mine off too! Hahaha! What can I say? My old man hacked off my foot. Hahaha! Family, right? What're you gonna do? Anyway, it's all good, buddy! Pour out a 40 for me! And don't forget your mom's birthday!""

I somehow missed the rest of this thread last week and I just wanted to say I really like where it went. Especially THAT.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Feb 6, 2013 at 4:03:15 am

[Kylee Wall] "Especially THAT."

Ha! Thanks!

I just looked it up - my first post at the COW was the second day the joint was open, April 12, 2001. (I wasn't working here then, and I was on the road on day one.)

I think this one makes my top 10. LOL Moronic, I know. Most of 'em are. LOL

Return to posts index

Kylee Peña
on Feb 6, 2013 at 12:33:05 pm

Missed day one?? I didn't realize this was amateur hour.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Feb 6, 2013 at 3:39:27 pm

Looks like in addition to Star Wars VII, VIII and IX they have announced two spin off films about famous Star Wars characters. This could be cool.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Feb 6, 2013 at 5:19:37 pm

I saw somebody mention Yoda, in serious, as the star of one, which I'd love.

I saw somebody joke about Boba Fett, more in jest, which would almost have to suck. He's cool because he just pops in. Learn about his wife and kids and "how he got that way," and he becomes just another freelance moron with a liberal arts degree and idiot clients.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Feb 6, 2013 at 5:27:46 pm

Tim, you missed Jar Jar Binks :-)

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Feb 6, 2013 at 5:57:45 pm

Jar Jar got on my nerves, but I actively hated Jake Lloyd. LOL

Not him personally. He seems like a level-headed young man, probably moreso than I was at his age (23!!!). Much respect.

But I certainly think that building a spin-off around that whiny little bitch Anakin Skywalker would be a disaster.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Feb 6, 2013 at 6:00:14 pm

What about a Jar Jar spin off with Pauly Shore as its side kick?

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Feb 6, 2013 at 7:33:34 pm

Here's today's news story about the spin offs:
http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/02/06/star-wars-spin-offs-young-han-solo-mo...

I can confirm the following films have been green lit:

Lobot: Day of Reckoning

Before he was Lando's mute henchman, Lawrence B. Ottman was a full fledged bounty hunter in his own right. His preferred method of assassination was staring people to death. The film culminates in a confrontation with IG-88 in which Larry is accidentally lobotomized, and while recuperating in the Bespin medical center, Lando Calrissian takes him on as his personal assistant out of pity.

Wes Anderson in negotiations.

Dengar: Bandage Salesman

Once upon a time, circa 10 years before the Battle of Yavin, Denny Garlist was a run of the mill door to door bandage salesman. You see, as the Empire took control of the galaxy's medical centers, the general population took to self-care, and it became nearly impossible to obtain clean bandages. Working for a black market commodities trader, Denny G as his friends called him, took a low paying job selling bandages. One ill-fated day he picked the wrong prospect, and after a failed attempt to sell some 3x3 gauze pads to Bib Fortuna's wife, Denny needed some bandages of his own, which is why to this day, Dengar is wrapped in the stuff.

George Clooney is tied to this project, either as director or star.

Astromech: A Man and His Dream

About 50 years before the Battle of Naboo, starships were 100% controlled by humanoid crews and poorly functioning droids. A short order cook on Coruscant who had dropped out of the Alderaan Technical College always hoped he could improve starship navigation. Over many years Steve Droideka toiled with spare parts scavenged from the trash heaps until he finally produced a flimsy but functional astro droid. Not owning a ship of his own, Droideka raised money from his favorite customers (particularly from a young representative from Naboo who enjoyed Steve's Wookie egg omelets every Sunday before church), and he bought a failed ship prototype with improbably Y-shaped engines.

Finally after more toiling, the first Astromech "droid" was ready for sale. A series of trials and tribulations later, the first assembly line was in operation, and droids coming off the line were named with randomly generated combinations of letters and numbers.

This inspiring story of rags to riches is being penned by Eric Roth, with Ben Affleck set to direct.

The list goes on, but these should be good ones.

Mike

PS - A full Star Wars Disney theme park cannot be far from reality.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Feb 6, 2013 at 7:52:47 pm

[Mike Cohen] "A full Star Wars Disney theme park cannot be far from reality."

I said this in my very first post on the subject. At the very least, a zone or some such. I think it's a great idea. The Harry Potter Experience (or whatever they call it) at Universal in Orlando is brilliant.

Jar Jar Binks would be especially great as a theme park character, because THEY'RE NOT ALLOWED TO TALK.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]