FORUMS: list search recent posts

Petra Hayden goes to the movies

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
Petra Hayden goes to the movies
on Jan 24, 2013 at 2:47:54 pm

Petra applies her now-patented acapella multitracking skills to a number of movie themes. Here is a sample of her doing the sound track to "Psycho". If you need to get a cat or your girlfriend to leave the house, this will probably do it.

However, I found her rendition of the Superman Suite to be utterly captivating.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
Re: Petra Hayden goes to the movies
on Jan 24, 2013 at 8:11:47 pm

Thanks for the tip!

I am a huge, huge fan of Petra Haden. Her first foray into acapella recreations of classic work was The Who Sell Out, singing every vocal part, every instrument.

The Who Sell Out admittedly starts as a gimmick, but opens up to become one of the great works of rock art. While I won't put Petra's recreation in that category, she exposes a lot of layers, and a lot of the underlying beauty of the piece. The joke is a lot funnier if you know the original, but it's also not a joke at all. The Who's version is still definitive, but I know a lot of people who found it through Petra.

If it's not cool enough that she chose The Who's coolest album to cover, how's THIS? The idea was suggested to her by Mike Watt of Minutemen fame, who lent her his 8-track recorder for the project. Yep, she's been building this a layer at a time on analog tape. Cool, cool, and cool.

Bonus cool points: she's a TRIPLET, and her father is jazz double-bassist Charlie Haden, one of the true giants. He came to fame with Ornette Coleman, spent 9 years in Keith Jarret's American Quartet, and has done some a couple of remarkable duet records with guitarist Pat Metheny, and a great trio record with Pat and drummer Billy Higgins, who also anchored Coleman's band.

In an uncharacteristic effort to end vaguely on topic, here's her father and Pat, on Morricone's Theme From Cinema Paradiso. Embedding disabled by request,

Tim Wilson
Vice President, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW

Return to posts index

Jonas Marsh
on Feb 11, 2013 at 7:51:35 am

Its nice to see these people get the attention.

Life as we know it is full of surprises. Better to color your world with art.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Feb 11, 2013 at 8:00:39 am

[Jonas Marsh] "Its nice to see these people get the attention."

Agreed.

And having mentioned her father Charlie Haden at some length in my post, I'm pleased to note that he was given a Lifetime Achievement Award at the Grammys tonight, alongside Glen Gould, Lightnin' Hopkins and Carole King. He really is a giant, and deserves all the praise he can get.

Tim Wilson
Vice President, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]