FORUMS: list search recent posts

6 Places You'll Recognize from the Background of Every Movie

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Roberts
6 Places You'll Recognize from the Background of Every Movie
on Jan 17, 2013 at 4:15:23 pm

Here's a cool Cracked article about six locations that are very recognizable in a lot of movies. Stephen, you might be interested in this, I think #1 is in Utah (or at least part of it?).

http://www.cracked.com/article_20173_6-places-youll-recognize-from-backgrou...

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
Re: 6 Places You'll Recognize from the Background of Every Movie
on Jan 17, 2013 at 6:11:51 pm

Fun article and so true. But really, why go scouting for new locations if you don't have to.

Another one I expected to see in the downtown LA skyline, specifically the Bonaventure Hotel area with its overpasses and futuristic 70's architecture. Transformers, pretty much every car commercial, True Lies, Midnight Madness (google it), Nick of Time - those are off the top of my head.

No idea how Marty McFly could leave 1955 Hill Valley in northern California and arrive in 1855 in Monument Valley, Arizona. Perhaps the flux capacitor was damaged. Then he parks the car in a cave and walks back to California.

I'm probably the only person to ever think about that.

Another one you see in every movie ever made in New York is the staircase / fountain / boathouse area in Central Park.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jan 18, 2013 at 4:11:41 pm

Scott, this is a great find. I'm a big fan of movie locations.

[Scott]
Stephen, you might be interested in this, I think #1 is in Utah (or at least part of it?).

Correct. The visitor look out / hotel is in Arizona and is acutely the Monument Valley Navajo Tribal Park. A-crossed the border into Utah is a bunch of the famous rock formations and the road that Forest Gump was on is on the Utah side as well. If you ever get a chance to visit you need to spend the night at the View Hotel: http://www.monumentvalleyview.com/ The food was great as well, I love the navajo bread burger.

Scott you also get bonus points for knowing part of it is in Utah. Especially since I think most people can't find Utah on a map...maybe that is why it is used for Alien planets in movies, my favorite being on Galaxy Quest. If you take a slice of American Cheese and take a bite out of the top right corner you get the shape of the state.

[Mike]
No idea how Marty McFly could leave 1955 Hill Valley in northern California and arrive in 1855 in Monument Valley, Arizona.

Plate tectonics shift :-)

Speaking of Utah, although it doesn't belong on the list since it is only in a hand full of movies, but you got to visit Arches National Park. Most of the opening in Indian Jones and the Last Crusade is filmed their. Plus the Hulk jumps over Double Arch where Indian Jones wondered into a cave. See image below:

Just a hip skip jump away from that is lots of other film iconic rock formations such as Delicate Arch.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 18, 2013 at 10:56:29 pm

List fails without the Ennis house by Frank L. Wright:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ennis_House

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Jan 20, 2013 at 4:51:30 am

Have I ever mentioned my affinity for Frank Lloyd Wright? I have visited his house and studio in Oak Park, and seen (from the outside) the Meyer May House in Grand Rapids and the Hollyhock House in LA (not to be confused with the similar looking and much more frequent film location, the Ennis House mentioned above by Mark).

Aside from Fallingwater, the Johnson Wax building is possibly one of Wright's most iconic structures.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnson_Wax_Headquarters

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jun 19, 2013 at 3:16:24 pm

Speaking of Monument Valley. I went to Italy (and it was awesome). Went through customs and the first sign I saw was of Monument Valley. It was a sign for a travel agency. Those rocks are very famous.

Stephen Smith - Follow me on Behance

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]