FORUMS: list search recent posts

Paste Magazine's 40 Most Anticipated Films

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Wilson
Paste Magazine's 40 Most Anticipated Films
on Jan 17, 2013 at 3:32:54 am

We've gone through a couple of these things before, but these guys are wiseass pop-culture monsters. I'm a big fan. This list is a lot different than the others I've seen.

The list is in calendar order, which means it makes almost no sense whatsoever LOL but as someone who likes it like that, I have some notes to add:

-- I saw a trailer for The Incredible Burt Wonderstone that blew me away. Steve Carrell in full-on hilarious mode (the sincerity thing was wearing me out LOL), Jim Carrey back in form, and a reminder that Steve Buscemi is comic gold. Really looking forward to this one.

-- Not only a couple of movies with Ryan Gosling and James MacAvoy (not together)...but a couple from Terence Malick on the calendar! What the....

-- I was more excited about Joss Whedon's Much Ado About Nothing (starring two Buffy alums!) until I heard it was in black and white. A sign of virtually certain douchery.

-- The cast for the new Scorsese, The Wolf of Wall St, is insane: Leonardo DiCaprio, Jonah Hill, Matthew McConaughey, Kyle Chandler, and in returns to acting, Jon Favreau and Rob Reiner. Spike Jonze acts in it too.

-- Benedict Cumberbatch, Ewan McGregor, Abigail Breslin, Meryl Streep, Julia Roberts in August: Osage County?!? Oscar bait, but I'm already circling the hook...

-- Calling Ender's Game a science fiction classic is an understatement...but most of the book takes place when Ender is between the ages of 6 and 9. The actors in the movie are in their late teens. Hmph.

-- I don't think I saw Warm Bodies on this list, but I'm looking forward to it. GREAT book, highly recommended, and if they come close to pulling it off with the movie, it'll be a gas.

The final two words on the subject: Catching Fire.

Anyway, I'm counting on you kids to light this one up.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
Re: Paste Magazine's 40 Most Anticipated Films
on Jan 17, 2013 at 4:57:51 pm

-I saw the Burt Wonderstone trailer at the theater maybe 2 weeks ago, I thought it looked pretty funny too. I'm a fan of non-mopey Steve Carrell, and of Jim Carrey being in more things (including Kick-Ass 2, which is one of my most anticipated of 2013, and not on this list). The excitement of non-mopey Steve Carrell also extends to Anchorman 2, which Adam McKay has said may be a borderline musical, which will be hilarious. But we'll see how it actually ends up.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/13/anchorman-2-the-musical_n_2121369....

-Both Gosling movies look really good. But I'm a huge fan of what he did in Drive, so the fact that he's teaming up with Refn again for Only God Forgives, if I may quote Garth from Wayne's World: "It makes me feel funny like when we used to climb the ropes in gym class."

-I can't tell if The Lone Ranger is going to be a super fun action romp like the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie, or a terrible piece of crap like the fourth Pirates of the Caribbean movie.

-I'm just gonna throw it out there, as much as they probably botched World War Z, and I guarantee it's nothing like the awesome book it's based on... I'm still kind of excited to see it... At the very least, I bet it will have 4 or 5 REALLY chaotic action sequences.

-What was that Thor 2 trailer preview? It looked like scenes from the first movie set over a crappy song? That can't be anything official, can it?

-Esysium is probably going to be in my top 10 of the year, I'm guessing. Same goes for Gravity.

-I didn't really like the original Oldboy, and a Spike Lee version doesn't intrigue me that much either. Actually, the new movie Stoker (not on the list) which is directed by the director of the original Oldboy, looks more promising to me than the Oldboy remake. It at least looks like it has interesting cinematography...

-I also think the Evil Dead remake (not on the list) looks awesome. No CGI, all practical effects. I won't post the red band trailer here, but it looks both disgusting and frightening.

-Tim also mentioned Warm Bodies; which I thought was a great concept for a short film, but probably wouldn't work for a feature length project. But I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and see it anyway, simply because I like the director Jonathan Levine. The Wackness was an enjoyable yet not great film, but 50/50 was one of my favorite movies of the last five years. I love 50/50 enough to give Levine my money for whatever his next project is, which happens to be Warm Bodies.

Also worth noting, 23 of the 40 on the list are in the last 3 months of the year.

Return to posts index

Kylee Peña
on Jan 17, 2013 at 5:45:08 pm

I'm with you on the Lone Ranger trailer. My instinct is to run, but it could be amusing.

Funny thing: I keep having to remind myself that Armie Hammer is ONE PERSON.

[Tim Wilson] "Not only a couple of movies with Ryan Gosling and James MacAvoy"

GASP

[Tim Wilson] "(not together)"

Awww..

I love Soderbergh so I'm all in for Side Effects despite the campy tagline ("In some instances death may occur.")

Looks like a number of movies with awesome ensemble casts. August: Osage County, Wolf of Wall St, and This is the End (which isn't on this list). I hope they don't suck.

Much Ado About Nothing being black and white = doesn't matter, Nathan Fillion.

Most interested in Evil Dead for the practical effects, honestly.

I am so not interested in World War Z. What an awful trailer. Is it the theatrical trailer or just a teaser? Either way, I would have no idea what it's about if not for people telling me.

[Scott Roberts] "Esysium is probably going to be in my top 10 of the year, I'm guessing."

Yep, there's no doubt. Same on Gravity. I need to look more closely at that one because I definitely heard a really similar pitch not long ago and said I REALLY wanted to see that movie. Ta da, someone already did it, apparently.

Stream of consciousness: I had no idea Ender's Game was out in 2013. Yay! Catching Fire, yay! Oh yeah, The Hobbit...yay, dragon! To the Wonder, yay! Coen Brothers, Inside Llewyn Davis. 1960s New York. Yay!

Looks like a year where most of the directors I admire most are putting out interesting stuff.

blog: kyleesportfolio.com/blog
twitter: @kyl33t
demo: kyleewall.com

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jan 17, 2013 at 6:19:03 pm

[Scott Roberts] "What was that Thor 2 trailer preview? It looked like scenes from the first movie set over a crappy song? That can't be anything official, can it?"

It's still early, so maybe so. But I found Thor by far the most disappointing of the Avengers character's movies. Way. Too. Long, and other than Kat Dennings, all but humorless. Unless I hear otherwise, nowhere on my list for 2013.

[Scott Roberts] "-I'm just gonna throw it out there, as much as they probably botched World War Z, and I guarantee it's nothing like the awesome book it's based on... I'm still kind of excited to see it..."

Brad Pitt producing as well as starring gives me some hope. He did the same thing with Moneyball. That one's simpler, in that there's really only one perspective. WWZ has dozens of narrators, so either they're going to have to consolidate some of them and lose some plots...or make it as long as Reds.

This would have made a great TV series. Definitely room for more than one good zombie series, just like there's more than one good vampire series. LOL

[Scott Roberts] "Tim also mentioned Warm Bodies; which I thought was a great concept for a short film, but probably wouldn't work for a feature length project. But I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and see it anyway, simply because I like the director Jonathan Levine."

I also really like the source material, more than enough for a movie. (Not a series though. LOL) The issue is adaptation. The book is 100% internal monologue, because our zombified protagonist can't speak, and it's all from his perspective. As a result, there are no scenes that he's not in, and not just a ton of dialogue from other characters...of which there are only three living speakers.

The trailer hinted at the challenge with the near constant VO. There are a couple of great action scenes in the book that I think will look great on screen, but how much VO can any movie stand?

I know that you can work around this -- the True Blood books are all also first-person perspective only, where the show is maybe 30-40% Sookie scenes at this point.

It's also an amazingly tender story, one of the sweetest I can remember reading in a long time. I really do recommend it. Going to be a tricky mix.

[Scott Roberts] "23 of the 40 on the list are in the last 3 months of the year."

The whole backloaded awards thingy. This time around, the earliest release for a major Best Picture contender is Argo's October I think. Lincoln in Nov, Les Mis, Django and Silver Linings on 12/25.

Silence of the Lambs was released in January of the year it was nominated for, so it was 14 months before it was awarded its Oscars. (Oscars were still in March back then.)

Compare this to ZD30, which could be as little as 6 weeks, 2 days between wide release (Jan 11!!!) and Oscar time.

[Kylee Wall] "Much Ado About Nothing being black and white = doesn't matter, Nathan Fillion."

Yeah, but as Dogberry. Still, point taken.

"We filmed with RED Epic. We had two of them, of which only one broke down."
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/video/joss-whedon-nathan-fillion-clark-368...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]