FORUMS: list search recent posts

American Cinema Editors Eddie Awards nominations

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Wilson
American Cinema Editors Eddie Awards nominations
on Jan 16, 2013 at 5:08:36 am

We haven't talked about this yet, but here's the list. Awesomest thing: David Cross is hosting the awards ceremony. Somebody better televise this thing.

BEST EDITED FEATURE FILM (DRAMATIC):
  • Argo: William Goldenberg, A.C.E.
  • Life of Pi: Tim Squyres, A.C.E.
  • Lincoln: Michael Kahn, A.C.E.
  • Skyfall: Stuart Baird, A.C.E.
  • Zero Dark Thirty: Dylan Tichenor, A.C.E. and William Goldenberg, A.C.E.

BEST EDITED FEATURE FILM (COMEDY OR MUSICAL):
  • The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel: Chris Gill
  • Les Misérables: Melanie Ann Oliver & Chris Dickens, A.C.E.
  • Moonrise Kingdom: Andrew Weisblum, A.C.E.
  • Silver Linings Playbook: Jay Cassidy, A.C.E. & Crispin Struthers
  • Ted: Jeff Freeman, A.C.E.

BEST EDITED ANIMATED FEATURE FILM:
  • Brave: Nicolas C. Smith, A.C.E.
  • Frankenweenie: 
Chris Lebenzon, A.C.E. & Mark Solomon
  • Rise of the Guardians: 
Joyce Arrastia
  • Wreck-It Ralph: Tim Mertens

BEST EDITED DOCUMENTARY (FEATURE):

• Samsara: Ron Fricke & Mark Magidson
  • Searching for Sugar Man: 
Malik Bendjelloul
  • West of Memphis: Billy McMillin

BEST EDITED DOCUMENTARY (TELEVISION):
  • American Masters - Phil Ochs: There But For Fortune: Pamela Scott Arnold
  • The Dust Bowl - Episode 1: The Great Plow Up
: Craig Mellish
  • The Weight of the Nation: Episode 1: Consequences: Paula Heredia

BEST EDITED HALF-HOUR SERIES FOR TELEVISION:
  • Girls: “Pilot” Robert Frazen, A.C.E. & Catherine Haight
  • Modern Family: “Mystery Date” Ryan Case
  • Nurse Jackie: “Handle Your Scandal” Gary Levy

BEST EDITED ONE-HOUR SERIES FOR COMMERCIAL TELEVISION:
  • Breaking Bad: “Dead Freight” Skip Macdonald A.C.E.
  • Breaking Bad: Gliding Over All” Kelley Dixon, A.C.E.
  • Mad Men: “The Other Woman” Tom Wilson
  • Nashville: “Pilot” Keith Henderson
  • Smash: “Pilot” Andrew Weisblum, A.C.E.

BEST EDITED ONE-HOUR SERIES FOR NON-COMMERCIAL TELEVISION:
  • Homeland: “The Choice” Terry Kelley, A.C.E.
  • Homeland: “State of Independence” Jordan Goldman
  • The Newsroom: “We Just Decided To (Pilot)” Anne McCabe, A.C.E.

BEST EDITED MINISERIES OR MOTION PICTURE FOR TELEVISION:
  • Game Change: Lucia Zucchetti, A.C.E.
  • Hatfields & McCoys, Part 1
: Don Cassidy
  • Hemingway & Gellhorn: Walter Murch, A.C.E.

BEST EDITED NON-SCRIPTED SERIES:
  • Beyond Scared Straight : " Oklahoma County, OK - The Weight" Rob Goubeaux, A.C.E., Mark Andrew, A.C.E., Paul J. Coyne, A.C.E., Mark Baum, Jeremy Gantz, Johnny Skaare, J.C. Solis & Ken Yankee
  • Frozen Planet: “Ends of the Earth” Andy Netley & Sharon Gillooly
  • Deadliest Catch: “I Don't Want to Die” Josh Earl, A.C.E. & Alex Durham

Comments?

Return to posts index

Kylee Peña
Re: American Cinema Editors Eddie Awards nominations
on Jan 16, 2013 at 6:41:18 pm

So, do the Eddies usually follow any kind of trends based on buzz, or do they go completely down their own path?

I think the nominations are a great list of the best in 2012, but I'd like to point out:

Breaking Bad: “Dead Freight” Skip Macdonald A.C.E.

If that doesn't win, I retire from editing. I've never been so tense during a TV SHOW. I couldn't even watch. And it was cool that the commercial breaks were moved and limited so the tension of the scene wasn't broken..which helps the strong editorial work stand out. No act break band-aids.

There's also a nifty Breaking Bad podcast with Kelley Dixon if anyone doesn't know. I think she releases one every week or so, at least when the show is airing. Basically, she's livin' the dream.

blog: kyleesportfolio.com/blog
twitter: @kyl33t
demo: kyleewall.com

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jan 16, 2013 at 7:13:18 pm

[Kylee Wall] "So, do the Eddies usually follow any kind of trends based on buzz, or do they go completely down their own path?"

I think all awards kind of do both, right? Pick whatever trendy show or movie you want to -- somebody's editing it. The people who nominated Smash or Modern Family (to name two forum favorite non-favorites) are all editors. But even though the editing is theoretically being evaluated separately from the thing itself, it's hard not to imagine Girls, Modern Family, and (for once) Breaking Bad to be weighted more heavily in voters minds...right?

In the end, though, everybody who votes is a movie or TV watcher, and none of us are immune to every trend. Which is trendier? Big Bang Theory or Community? I'd argue the latter! BBT has a bigger audience, but around here, but Community is "cooler."

A question for another thread, but an interesting one....

Return to posts index

Kylee Peña
on Jan 16, 2013 at 9:06:15 pm

You're right. I was just wondering if there was any direct link, like the whole "usually best picture is also best editing" thing.

I was looking at William Goldenberg's filmography since he's a double nominee here as well. It's always interesting to trace someone's career and see where things started heading down the path to getting work on two Oscar nominated films. Interestingly, he was Michael Kahn's assistant editor on Hook and (ergh) Arachnophobia.

So I'd really like to hang out with him, and Andrew Weisblum.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Jan 16, 2013 at 10:19:09 pm

[Kylee Wall] "Breaking Bad: “Dead Freight” Skip Macdonald A.C.E.

If that doesn't win, I retire from editing. I've never been so tense during a TV SHOW. I couldn't even watch. And it was cool that the commercial breaks were moved and limited so the tension of the scene wasn't broken..which helps the strong editorial work stand out. No act break band-aids. "

I CONCUR!

[Tim Wilson] "In the end, though, everybody who votes is a movie or TV watcher, and none of us are immune to every trend. Which is trendier? Big Bang Theory or Community? I'd argue the latter! BBT has a bigger audience, but around here, but Community is "cooler.""

Aside from the fact (note I say FACT) that Community is a much better show than Big Bang Theory, I would hope that editing in a single camera comedy is held in higher regard than a multicamera one...? No? Regardless, it doesn't appear as if either of those shows are nominated for editing awards, so I don't even know what I'm arguing, haha...

Also why does Smash keep getting nominated for things? I don't think I've ever met a person who has even heard of Smash. My mom doesn't even watch Smash. And she watches crap like Smash all the time.

Return to posts index

Kylee Peña
on Jan 16, 2013 at 11:20:32 pm

Scott, I wish Community was more recognized. It's such a great show. Remedial Chaos Theory has some great editing work. I don't get the love for Smash either, but one of the editors, Camilla Toniolo, was on an Editfest panel last year as well so lots of ACE love for the show apparently. Though it's Weisblum nominated and not her..

And I'm dumb in just realizing that Weisblum is nominated for a movie AND a TV show. Dude, save some for the rest of us.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]