FORUMS: list search recent posts

Golden Globes - Argo got some love

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Breuer
Golden Globes - Argo got some love
on Jan 14, 2013 at 3:12:36 pm

My quick recap:

ARGO: Great to see Argo get some attention, even best director, after the Oscar snub. Maybe Tim is right and it will rally to a surprise in the Oscars, especially with the sympathy vote now. Ben forgot to thank George Clooney, so he asked his wife to thank him as she was a presenter afterwords. How many people have that opportunity?

Acceptance Speeches: My wife always loves speeches where the wife is thanked and there were some nice nods to wives, especially from Daniel Day-Lewis and Hugh Jackman. A lot of actors went up and were, "Oh I didn't expect this, thank you to the other nominees." These people are winning Best Actor, they are being honored for faking emotions, so I always wonder who is sincere.

Presenters: They didn't do anything to raise the bar, but they were decent. Here were some highlights

On Kathryn Bigelow, best director nominee for "Zero Dark Thirty":
"When it comes to torture, I trust the lady who was married for three years to James Cameron."

Fey: "The Hunger Games was one of the biggest films of the year, and also what I call the six weeks it took me to get into this dress."
Pohler: "Ang Lee has been nominated for the Life of Pi,' which is what I’m gonna call the six weeks after I take this dress off!"

"Meryl Streep is not here tonight. She has the flu — and I hear she’s amazing in it."

You can see more HERE.

Other Notes: A lot of presenters tried to be funny, Ferrell and Wiig were probably the only ones to really do so. Bill Clinton introduced Lincoln. Jody Foster, Lifetime achievement, gave a touching thank-you to her mom, but otherwise just seemed to ramble for a while.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
Re: Golden Globes - Argo got some love
on Jan 14, 2013 at 4:01:59 pm

Yeah, this is normally where I would complain about the Golden Globes being a sham of an awards show, but they kind of got a lot of it right this year.

I agree that it's great that Argo got the big awards it did, especially Ben Affleck winning for best director, just to stick it to the Oscar's terrible best director category.

I loved the results of the best acting categories for the most part. Since I didn't like Lincoln very much maybe I would have preferred Jaquin Pheonix over D-Day... but Christoph Waltz, Jennifer Lawrence, Anne Hathaway, and Jessica Chastain are all good choices.

It's awesome that Tarantino won best screenplay for Django. I don't know if that helps his chances for the Academy Awards, but I hope so.

Biggest film criticism of the night: Brave beating Wreck It Ralph... THUMBS DOWN.

Also, the best song category was a little... People's Choice Award-y...? I hadn't heard the nominees until the broadcast; but Adele, Keith Urban, Bon Jovi, Taylor Swift? Except for Adele, I didn't even know these people made film songs. And only Adele crosses over and also got nominated for an Oscar. I guess we're crossing back into weird Golden Globes celebrity loving.

------------------------------

On the TV side of things, Homeland has become the Modern Family of dramas. It wins all the awards no matter what. I like Homeland, but it's not better than... nevermind, we've gotten into Homeland vs. Breaking Bad debates on this forum before...!

I've seen every episode of Girls, and I don't enjoy it as much as I'm just vaguely fascinated by it. That being said, I'd rather have Girls win than Modern Family getting awards thrown at them like they invented television comedy; or Big Bang Theory being recognized for ANYTHING good.

It probably wasn't hard to make the Girls decision when this is the Best Comedy Show Category:

Girls
Big Bang Theory
Modern Family
Episodes
Smash (wait, WHAT? SMASH?)

The following television shows from last year are all funnier than the nominees and almost never get any recognition (except 30 Rock):

Parks and Recreation
Workaholics
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Louie
Community
30 Rock
The League
Eastbound & Down

Also do they not include animated TV shows at the Globes ever? Because this past season of South Park was actually a huge return to greatness for them after a few so-so mixed bag seasons.

------------------------------

And for the actual awards broadcast, I enjoyed it, and enjoyed all of the jokes from the hosts that Jeff mentioned above. I liked the Ferrell/Wiig bit. I liked when Paul Rudd had technical difficulties with his prompter and reacted in the most frustratingly awkward way possible. I liked when Amy Poehler referred to Bill Clinton as Hilary's husband.

I thought the show flew by at a great pace and was rather entertaining UNTIL the Jodie Foster segment, which went on forever, was boring, and I went and made a quesadilla during it.

But overall, not a bad start to awards season.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jan 14, 2013 at 6:03:39 pm

I love the Globs [sic], and it's always fun to think about it in the context of the Oscars, so I have a pretty long list of thoughts:

- One of the things that makes the Globs so fun, in addition to everything obvious, is that the bar for membership in the HFPA is low. There are only 90 of them, which means a fraction of the people voting in almost any Oscar category. A bite-sized sample to streamline bribery. LOL (They've theoretically cut back on that.)

You also only need to publish 4 articles a year, doesn't need to be mainstream outlets -- and kind of CAN'T be for a mainstream outlet, because the rules also require that you make Southern California your primary residence!!

Doesn't bother me a bit. Pass the champagne!

- The category that really jumped out at me was screenplay, which merges original and adapted. Remarkably, I think they picked the right five....but there's no way that Kushner loses to Tarantino in the US of A.

The HFPA is barely a notch above drunken bloggers, and in many cases, a couple of notches below. Of COURSE QT is a god to them. OF COURSE a Western beats all comers.

No disrespect to QT (Tina Fey: "the object of all my sexual nightmares") intended. I'm just saying that the perspective of 90 carousing foreign correspondents who have openly solicited bribes can't often be extrapolated into a larger sample size on the other side of the pond.

That is, with actual writers in the US of A voting, no way Kushner loses. None. It's as sure a bet as Daniel Day-Lewis. If we could see the votes, I'd bet that Kushner gets a higher percentage than Day-Lewis.

That said, I think that Quentin will be a huge beneficiary of not having to compete with Tony in America. (An accidental almost-nod to Angels in America.) The entries in Original Screenplay are solid, but I have a hard time picturing QT losing to Moonrise Kingdom or ZD30.

- As much as I was adrenalized by a merged screenplay category, I still kind of like separate ones for adapted and original...which also underscores the point that adapated stories can be original.

But I LOVE separating comedy from drama. I always have, and it has always frustrated me that the Oscars don't. I can summarize it like this: do we really, really need to live in a world where we're deprived of either Jennifer Lawrence or Jessica Chastain giving a speech? I'm still pulling for J-Law -- liked her Globs speech better too -- but we'd all have more fun if they were both up there.

- The only speech I can think of that might have been better than J-Law was Adele, a hilarious contrast with her usual polished persona. Priceless first cutaway to Taylor Swift, who looked pissed that Adele stole her "I never expected this!" move. Although it didn't feel like BS for Adele....even if also provoked a little "are you kidding me?" reaction. If she does the same thing at the Oscars, though -- that would be total BS.

- The Globs cover both movies and TV in 3 hours. The Oscars rarely fits just movies in 3 hours. WTF? Yeah yeah, lots of below the line talent deserves recognition in prime time -- editors, art directors and the like. I'm 100% in favor. But there's no excuse for the Oscars taking as long as they do.

What might help the Oscars: not having anyone explain to me what an editor or a make-up artist does. I get the gist. Get to the damn award. And I don't need to see a before-and-after of the ones for the sound categories.

- Not only am I okay with Homeland winning everything it can, I think it merits going back and retroactively awarding it in a couple of the years before it was even created.

(Even better, let's retroactively award all the Mad Men love to Breaking Bad.)

My Homeland love declared again, I can't imagine how they get Season 3 off the ground. I could feel Season 3 dying a slow death before the finale of Season 2 wrapped. Although frankly, a show with only Mandy Patinkin and Claire Danes would be okay with me. I'm a huge Damian Lewis fan, but we don't actually know what show Homeland is yet. Is it a CIA show awaiting the next nemesis? That is, is it the sequel to The Fugitive that doesn't have the actual fugitive in it?

Otherwise, Nic Brody coming back to clear his name feels kind of weak from here. I'm along for the ride until I'm not, though.

- After feeling like Argo might find a way back into the Oscars, I've returned to being less optimistic. With Arkin having won so recently, and DeNiro so far removed from even his last nomination -- add a genuinely exceptional performance, and I don't see how he loses.

Sooo...screenplay, does is really crawl over Lincoln, SLP and Pi? After that, I could see editing, although ZD30 and Lincoln are both strong.

I haven't seen this mentioned, but the editor of Argo also co-edited ZD30. Has an editor ever been nominated twice in one year?

Argo has a better shot at the Independent Spirit Awards, which Ben and Argo certainly exemplify...but I'm seeing less room for Argo at the Oscars as time goes by, rather than more. Too bad. It's been a really good year for movies, and I'm afraid that Argo is going to be one of the ones squeezed out, when in other years, it would have done really well I think.

- Fey and Poehler were a downgrade from Ricky I think, although Poehler's Cameron/Torture and "Mr. Hillary Clinton" gags were major winners.

I also agree, Jeff, that the dual Hunger Games/Life of Pi joke was slick. I was rolling my eyes at the Hunger Games half, very Billy Crystal/Shecky Greene, but the Life of Pi half was the capper. Well played, ladies.

I can only assume that they split the normal host stipend between the two women, because otherwise, I can't explain them showing up so little during the broadcast.

- WTF with Catherine Zeta-Jones singing in her intro to Les Miz? Was she saying, "You could have had ME in this you bastards! I can sing AND give the movie name a full French pronunciation!"

--Huge fan of Bill C., but his Lincoln intro could have been tighter. (Never one for concision, our Bill.) In general, though, NONE OF THESE MOVIES NEEDED INTRODUCTIONS. No Best Picture nominee does, on any award show. Just roll the tape.

- One of my favorite parts of the Globs is hitting the pause button to see who's talking to each other during the breaks. It really is cool to see so many people actually mingling.

- Also love seeing where they're sitting. How much further back in the room could Costner have been sitting and still been in camera range? And anybody notice how incoherent his speech here and at the Emmys were? I have no idea what the hell he was talking about either time, and I LIKE the guy. I'm glad he won...but no kidding, man. Take a nap before show time or something.

- I'd just as soon Jodie NOT retire...although I'm fine with it if it means that nobody drags Mel to an awards show and she doesn't make any more speeches. She more than earned the right to this one (unfair that the quietness of this decade overwhelmed the legacy of the previous 40-ish years), and I favor giving the winners of these career-spanning awards talking as long as they want, but I think this speech took the same amount of real estate that the next couple combined would have too.

- Again, since it's foreign drunkard-ists open to bribes, I'm not sure what to make of the Globs vis-a-vis Best Picture Oscar in particular, but a quick check at IMDb reveals that Lincoln has yet to win a single Best Picture Award where it wasn't on a list with other films, and Spielberg hasn't won at all yet.

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Jan 15, 2013 at 12:44:20 am

I watched an Episode of This Old House from 8 to 8:30 to give the DVR some buffer time. Which got me thinking, isn't This Old House one of the longest running tv series? Norm Abram is the Michael Kahn of carpentry. Tom Silva, despite his high tech gadgets, still measures wood with a tape measure and a #2 pencil. Ok, I'll do a blog about it Tim. Sorry to get off topic.

Ok, so I called it quits about 10:30 (so nobody announce who won best picture, ok?) and went upstairs to watch the season premiere of Shameless, a show that likely will never get nominated for anything because it has all sorts of questionable bad behavior.

I agree than Amy and Tina were just barely in the show. What's up with those fake nomination cameos with Tina and Amy? Kind of distracting. I agree that Ricky Gervais is much better at hosting because he is so crass.

Re:

Homeland

I agree that after Season 2 I don't know what they can do. They'll have to introduce some new villains. You can certainly see the influence of 24 with some of the implausible scenarios and frequent cliffhangers.

Girls

We enjoyed this for what it is - a quirky show about a quirky young woman. Sort of a slightly more mature My So Called Life (with nudity). Speaking of which, it is refreshing that the nudity portrays actual people, not models with perfect bodies.

Lena Dunham looked a tad out of place in a puffy dress and barely able to walk in her heels, but she did not try to hide her ink so 2 points for Lena.

Speaking of puffy dresses, I thought it was great that while Adele has an amazing voice, when she speaks she sounds like she works at the local chip shop.

Argo

I have not, somehow, seen this as of this writing. Looks awesome. Good for Ben who we all assumed would never win anything after Good Will Hunting, and based upon his early acting roles, thought he might never act either.

Sam Raimi has been quoted as saying "make a bunch of bad movies and eventually you will make a good one." So true.

Wish I thought of this, but here you go anyway:
http://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Jango.jpg

Why are Musicals and Comedies grouped together in both film and tv? Granted there are not very many musicals in either medium.

Same with Supporting Actor/Actress in a miniseries, made for tv movie or series. Seems too broad to compare a performance in a 2-4 hour movie with a performance in a full season or in a mini-series.

I certainly understand needing to combine some categories to move the show along.

You know what would move the show along? Get rid of that awful 50 year old music.

The clip montages they show for each Best Picture nominee are far too short and disjointed to be useful. Cut the intros and show a 60 second trailer.

Jodi Foster

I don't know if she was loaded or just trying to be memorable. I have read a few opinions on what she was trying to say and I'm still confused.

I'd like to see a show like this presented without a stage. Just have the presenters do their bits from whatever table they are sitting at.

My two cents - kind of a mish mash.

Mike

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Jan 16, 2013 at 10:31:24 pm

[Mike Cohen] "The clip montages they show for each Best Picture nominee are far too short and disjointed to be useful. Cut the intros and show a 60 second trailer."

You know what I miss, though? I liked when they used to play a short clip of acting from the actual movie when doing the nominations for the acting categories. Now we just get a static camera on the person sitting in their seat or at their table. Doing nothing. It's an uninteresting shot. They are usually just staring forward. Maybe like a slight nod to the camera. Or a small smile.

How about show me what they actually DID in the film? Especially for the nominees whose movies I did not see... "Oh wow, Richard Gere was nominated for a movie I've never heard of...? It sure would have been nice to see 15 second proof that he was actually good in it. Maybe?" I guess this new system is a product of our celebrity obsessed culture, where we need to see what they are doing at all times. Even when they are just sitting there staring blankly forward.

Return to posts index

Kylee Peña
on Jan 15, 2013 at 1:24:31 am

I love this thread. Nobody talks to me about the Golden Globes! I don't care if it's a little group of drunken pseudo-bloggers voting, it's got shiny awards and pretty dresses and MOVIES, I'm in. Random thoughts to follow.

I really like Ben Affleck as a director and I'm looking forward to what he does next. As much as I loved MY top 5 list (where Argo was behind several films), it really was a well-done movie and I'll watch the crap out of it when it's on TV and stuff. Not that that's a huge compliment I guess, but still.

I wish Tina and Amy had been in the show a little more, but I'd take that over the alternative where I just wish the host would drop off the face of the Earth already. Nobody can really host these shows like Ricky can, though. He embodies what we're all thinking about the charade that is the Golden Globes. It's perfectly offensive.

Seeing Will Ferrell with a mustache made me happy. I am an unabashed Anchorman fan and frequent quoter. I don't care what you all think of me, that movie is hilarious.

Brave winning its category was kind of...weird. But I haven't seen the others. All I can say is Brave was not the best of anything, ever. Except maybe awesome hair animation.

I need TV shows I actually watch to start winning again. I've never seen Girls OR Homeland, and it's angering me. And I'm with Scott -- SO MANY amazing television shows that aren't getting nominated. I really like the blend of TV and movies in the Globes, it entertains me greatly. But when shows like SMASH are getting nominated, it makes me less tolerant of it.

And why is Parks and Rec NEVER nominated for anything? That show is light-years ahead of most others. Except Louie. Louie should win, but damn, Parks and Rec should be honored somewhere.

Reading some highlights in this thread are entertaining. I skipped half the acceptance speeches thanks to my DVR, so I missed stuff like Paul Rudd's technical difficulties.

I was super annoyed at the best picture nominees being introduced. How about we save that time for people to make speeches so Anne Hathaway can have more time to think. That was super ick when she jumped into the best musical speech later on. Chill, dear, you'll get to make another award speech very very soon.

My personal favorite line of the night was Tina Fey: "the object of all my sexual nightmares" re: QT. I love LOVE Tarantino. He's out of his mind. I forgive him for everything on a daily basis. He's insane and I love it and give him all the awards.

I also love Adele and hoped she would win just so I could hear her talk. And she freakin' HIGH FIVED Daniel Craig. That chick is winning at life for real.

Jodie Foster's speech was a little manic, but I honestly pretty much enjoyed it. I don't really know what she was ever trying to say, but I appreciated that she was saying it. I think. I dunno. Maybe. I got the gist, I liked a lot of the things she said, and I'm glad for her career.

But seriously, what was with Mel Gibson? It was like someone loaded him up with a mild sedative and propped him up, and he was mesmerized by everything. So bizarre.

And while I said the best picture intros are boring, seeing Bill Clinton (or Bill Rodham Clinton) was fun.

I really wish musical and comedy weren't in the same category because obviously Les Mis is gong to beat out whatever comedies are nominated. I understand why it's like that, but meh.

And I'm still mad Cloud Atlas isn't winning anything. WTF. It was BEAUTIFUL OK?

Since you guys aren't commenting on the pretty dresses (come on!), I'll say I thought Jennifer Lawrence's gown was perfect. I want to own Tina Fey's dress. And unfortunately, Lena Dunham really needed to rethink her shoe choice. She's gorgeous, but clearly not super comfortable in ball gown nonsense. Know your limits, wear flat shoes! Sheesh.

I haven't seen this mentioned, but the editor of Argo also co-edited ZD30. Has an editor ever been nominated twice in one year?

I was wondering about this too. Someone should look it up and tell me.

Overall, I enjoyed the Globes. They kept it together pretty well, some good moments, some surprises (to me). I have no idea what to think about the Oscars. Some certainties, some not. I might end up agreeing more with the GG's than the Oscars this year, especially if it's a Lincoln-a-thon.

I always spend the Oscars in a local theater where we vote our predictions and win awesome movie swag and gift certificates if we're in the top 3, so I'll be studying this forum's predictions to get the most accurate sentiment.

blog: kyleesportfolio.com/blog
twitter: @kyl33t
demo: kyleewall.com

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jan 15, 2013 at 9:33:42 am

[Kylee Wall] "I'll be studying this forum's predictions to get the most accurate sentiment."

Uhm, I don't know about that. LOL We're a lot of fun, but I haven't tracked our track record well enough to know our value as actual handicappers yet. With prizes on the line, you might just use as a resource to explore your own feelings.

You're right, we overlooked gowns. Not only did Lena not cover her ink, Mike -- I think she chose a dress to expose as much of it as possible. I admire her as much as anyone on TV for this LOL and so many other reasons. Although yeah, Kylee, she should have planned the whole walking thing a little better.

Jennifer Lawrence has stuck every landing so far this awards season. Adele, awesome. Megan Fox's dress was really nice, Claire nailed it - bold color choice combined with elegant lines - and I thought Lucy Liu's dress was pretty stunning.

(BTW, is anybody watching the Sherlock show she's in, Elementary? I get a kick out of it. In my top half-dozen or so this season. My favorite new show though - The Mindy Project. Mindy Kaling is another young woman whose talent amazes me.)

The bad gowns jumped out at me more. Jessica Chastain's color choice was great, but I don't think its overall shape did her any favors. I have no idea what Rosario Dawson was thinking. Kerry Washington got right the look that J-Lo got so, so wrong.

Taylor Swift wearing her hair up was a big mistake. I overall like her new, mature-er style, but the girl needs her hair down to balance her long neck. Jodie's haircut sharpening her jaw isn't doing her any favors either.

I just got around to her speech tonight. I loved the tribute to her mother, but I was otherwise very uncomfortable. You're right, Kylee, Mel looked a little out of it, especially obvious during this. WTF with Downey, him and the hamsters too? That whole thing was hideous.

[Kylee Wall] "when shows like SMASH are getting nominated, it makes me less tolerant of it."

Blame it on foreigners drinking too much. I thought they'd hold their liquor better than that. I hate saying anything bad about Anjelica Huston, but I'll say, good for her for admitting that her plastic surgery hasn't always yielded good results.

We also haven't talked too much about the speeches. I mentioned liking J-Law's and Jessica's. I loved Tina Fey's response to Lena Dunham's thanks. ("Middle school? Really?") Anne Hathaway's gown looked nice, but her stock went down for me. Really, really annoying speeches -- seems like she was doing a little of the "it's all about me" thing. Second speech horn-in is inexcusable. Ben and J-Gar handled it very cutely.

I'm delighted by how mellow Daniel Day-Lewis is this time around. He seems genuinely pleased by the attention, and the balance with his humility is endearing. Kushner and Spielberg looked really moved by his thanks, in what I thought was one of the evening's best.

Going back to the thread's original theme (wha?), and watching the rest of the awards, I'm feeling good about Argo again. I also went back and checked the Critics Choice Awards - Argo beat 9 other movies for Best Picture, then the Globs, so who knows? I still want SLP to win, but if not that, then Argo would be fine by me....

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jan 15, 2013 at 10:11:55 am

BTW, coolest table in the room: Tarantino, DiCaprio, Foxx, Waltz, Washington, Harvey Weinstein...and James Dolan, owner of the NY Knicks? WTF? Apparently an FOH (Friend of Harvey). But still, coolest table in the room.

If SLP beats Lincoln, remember that you saw the headline here first, "Harvey Weinstein Assassinates Lincoln."

Although we'll know in a couple of weeks if Argo is the actual frontrunner, not Lincoln. Oscar ballots don't even get mailed until Feb 1, and votes can come in until Feb 25. That's a long time for Argo to keep picking up momentum...or not....

Hey, was Denzel mad or just bored? I've never seen anybody less happy when his name was read. Although I've never seen anyone less amused than Tommy Lee Jones during Will and Kristen's Hope Springs bit. (Truly awful movie.)

Also, I'm willing to bet that the reason they didn't cut to Taylor Swift when Tina Fey told her to stay away from Michael J. Fox's son is that she was likewise NOT AMUSED. This happened during the CMA Awards when the hosts (I forget who) were playfully mocking the never getting back together thing in her song ("Never?" "Never." "Really? Never?" "Never ever." "Never?") The producers wouldn't cut to her because she was scowling. Matt Lauer asked her about it the next morning, and she scowled at him too. Hey, she's king of the world or whatever and I'm an idiot geezer, but c'mon, lighten up, girl.

Return to posts index

Kylee Peña
on Jan 16, 2013 at 2:10:23 am

HA. I believe I said I wanted to sit at Tarantino's table while I was watching the broadcast. How is that not the best and most terrifying seat in the house? I mean, Harvey Weinstein and guest? Crazy.

I wish they had cut to Taylor Swift when she was mad. That would have brought me great joy. Just like Tommy Lee Jones and his grumpy cat face.

And don't worry, I'm not relying on this forum to predict the Oscars for me. Kristopher Tapley's In Contention blog usually gets me about 70% there, then I steal everyone else's ideas for the wild cards.

To reiterate, not being mean to Lena, but seriously. I don't exactly know how these things work but I assume every designer is throwing shoes at you. Find SOMEthing that doesn't make you shuffle around. That's more offensive to me than any ugly gown could be. Full disclosure: I totally walked like that after being forced to wear the worst heels ever for a wedding this summer, but it was due to pain rather than lack of skill. One should be able to sprint in a solid pair of heels. Never know when you'll have to flee.

Excellent observations, Tim. I'd expect nothing less from our resident fashionista LOL. A few more things to add to the evening's looks:

-Lea Michele's prom spray tan was unfortunate. I liked her gown though.
-I've always liked that one-leg-on-display look and now aspire to wear such a thing. Maybe to the post office or grocery store..
-Anne Hathaway's dress looked like what happens after you do the toilet paper dress game at a bridal shower. Hm, in a forum of men you may not have experienced this...use your imagination.
-I also really dug Naomi Watts' gown. It looked really warm and cozy.
-Sarah Hyland ages about 10 years when she dresses up.

I think we've pretty much covered the entire telecast now.

Here's my current Oscar prediction based on this and nothing in particular: Best picture, best director, screenplay, and editing because I care about that will all be different films.

blog: kyleesportfolio.com/blog
twitter: @kyl33t
demo: kyleewall.com

Return to posts index

Jeff Breuer
on Jan 16, 2013 at 6:13:10 pm

Just to add my voice to a few of the many topics here--

- My wife seemed to be critical of all of the dresses. I liked Zooey Deschanel's dress. Simple, elegant.

- I loved the Catherine Zeta-Jones singing stunt. Because it failed. After she sang and nobody reacted there was the certain awkward pause and her face seemed to melt. Yea, that's what an ego should get you.

- Tim suggested there are probably better places to go for your Oscar predictions. Perhaps. But here is still a good place to add to your resources. Last year Scott and I teamed up and covered the short live action and short animations and gave our reviews of the films and predictions (Scott gave much better advice than me if you are looking for that handicap FYI). I always have a hard time finding any info at all on the short films and that is often where a lot of my losses come from. So, yea, I would add this forum to my list of resources for my predictions.

- It has been mentioned here about Comedy having it's own category. I think it is terrible that good comedy isn't taken seriously enough. Comedy is super hard. Why should a movie be celebrated simply because it made you cry or feel uncomfortable for two hours but a story with similar conflict/characters/arcs and compelling stories that make you laugh for two hours are excused? And OK, if we agree to separate them to give more attention or because they should be judged on separate standards, then I agree with Kylee - Why should we have a Drama category and a Comedy/Musical? The dramatic musical will win every time. Le Mis, Sweeney Todd, Dreamgirls, Chicago, Moulin Rouge! (although Moulin Rouge! could be a comedy too), only Nine lost to The Hangover in 2010. Musicals can be comedic or dramatic, why not split them up accordingly instead of having a Dramatic category and a "Handicapped" category? Thus ends my rant.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jan 16, 2013 at 7:38:57 pm

[Jeff Breuer] "Perhaps. But here is still a good place to add to your resources"

You're right. I bet on my own picks, and I do indeed learn stuff here.

It also fits my idea for this forum in the first place, that we are leaders among sophisticated media creators, and, although we don't do it full time, we can stand among many sophisticated media consumers / critics / analysts.

[Jeff Breuer] "The dramatic musical will win every time."

This one's tough. Maybe films need to pick one category and that's that. But I also noticed that the Critics Choice has a "Best Comedy" and "Best Film" category -- not "Best Drama," which suggests that the best drama is by definition the best film.

And you're right, Comedy/Musical is ridiculous. They shouldn't be together. Other than Mama Mia, Rock of Ages, Pitch Perfect and a couple of others...Producers, Hairspray....pretty much all of the non-youth-oriented ones in the past maybe 20 years. I'd add to your list of dramatic musicals Rent, Evita, Dancer In The Dark, 8 Mile, Across The Universe...Fame probably goes here rather than comedy too, right?

Settled. Put musicals where they belong. Hairspray goes in Best Comedy. Les Mis goes in Best Drama. The end.

It still feels inevitable, though, that "Best Drama" trumps "Best Comedy." Might be fun to talk about the years that the best comedy SHOULD have beaten the best drama as the best overall picture....but much after, say, It Happened One Night (won Best Pic, Director, Actor, Actress) and Singin' In The Rain (only nominated for Supporting Actress and Score, lost both), that might require actual research, even for me. LOL

Okay, a couple more off the top of my head. Some Like It Hot - only Oscar was for Best Costume Design - Black & White. Yes, Costume Design, Set Decoration/Art Direction and Cinematography were still being awarded separately for B&W and color in 1959. That ended in...Bueller? Bueller?...1967.

In 1965, the Best Pic nominees were My Fair Lady (which won), Strangelove, Mary Poppins, Zorba The Greek....and Beckett! (Burton, O'Toole) If we're playing "one of these things is not like the others, one of these things does not belong," the only drama is odd man out!

I think that the whole system is geared against that ever happening again, and I think that this particular year is a lot of the reason why. Worth talking about this another day, but the whole next wave of "golden age" movies started with Bonnie & Clyde in 67, Easy Rider in 69 (both first-time directors who were actors!) but accelerated with all those film school kids in the 70s: Coppola, Bogdanovich, Scorsese, Lucas, Spielberg, Cimino, et al.

With a couple of exceptions (What's Up Doc, American Graffiti), that whole first wave of the era was dominated by dramas that were quite a bit darker than the times (Dog Day Afternoon, French Connection, Taxi Driver, Apocalypse Now, Deerhunter, Deliverance, Last Picture Show....), and all of which still play darker than is typical today. I think this early-to-mid-70s period may be when "real" movie came to irrevocably equal "drama" to the extent that it's true today.

Some of the comedies I mentioned above were genuine prestige vehicles - the very best of the best artists working in the day. Can you imagine a major studio holding back a comedy for a late-December release for the awards season rush? SLP, maybe, but you could argue that Django may be the closest we get to an awards-season-weighted prestige comedy (I said "closest") for a long time.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Jan 16, 2013 at 10:09:16 pm

[Jeff Breuer] "Tim suggested there are probably better places to go for your Oscar predictions. Perhaps. But here is still a good place to add to your resources."

Hey, I went 14 for 24 last year! Well, actually that's not very good... But Hugo really screwed me over! It didn't pick up the small awards I actually thought it would, and ended up winning the ones I didn't think it would. I hated Tree of Life all year, and I still went with my gut and thought it would win for cinematography... Thanks a lot, Terrence!

[Kylee Wall] "I wish they had cut to Taylor Swift when she was mad. That would have brought me great joy"

Here's a nice short gif of her losing to Adele and holding back resentment. She seems like a total buzzkill kind of person.

http://img.gawkerassets.com/post/7/2013/01/taylor-swift-golden-globes.gif

Also this has been going around the web this week:

[Jeff Breuer] "- I loved the Catherine Zeta-Jones singing stunt. Because it failed. After she sang and nobody reacted there was the certain awkward pause and her face seemed to melt. Yea, that's what an ego should get you."

I also found this hilariously awkward as well. The lighthearted, fun nature of the show almost made me forget that people like Zeta-Jones exist and still act like that. What did she expect to have happen, the crowd would burst into applause? Actually, maybe she did think that would happen...

[Tim Wilson] "Can you imagine a major studio holding back a comedy for a late-December release for the awards season rush? SLP, maybe, but you could argue that Django may be the closest we get to an awards-season-weighted prestige comedy (I said "closest") for a long time."

How about The Artist? I'd consider that a comedy. That's at least where I group it in my movie collection. Who knows how much they assumed it would win awards, but it definitely got the same kind of November/December-limited-release-January-wide-release that a super dark drama like Zero Dark Thirty did this year. Though, to be fair, I'd say a black & white silent film comedy is a little more Oscar-baity than The Hangover or something. But The Artist did premire in Cannes the summer prior, then was held off for an awards season push.

Return to posts index

Jeff Breuer
on Jan 16, 2013 at 11:16:11 pm

[Tim Wilson] "But I also noticed that the Critics Choice has a "Best Comedy" and "Best Film" category -- not "Best Drama,""

Ouch! I haven't followed the Critics Choice that closely, but wow! Talk about being completely non-apologetic about the bias.

[Tim Wilson] " I think this early-to-mid-70s period may be when "real" movie came to irrevocably equal "drama" to the extent that it's true today."

Interesting theory, there were certainly a lot less comedy noms after that. I went back and took a look. There is really only Annie Hall (77), Shakespeare in Love (98) and The Artist (12) that could be considered comedies that won. As Scott mentioned, Artist was still very Oscar bait-y but the Comedy was a part of the reason I was rooting for it. I never saw Shakespeare because I never thought it looked very funny. Annie Hall and American Beauty were both funny, but still very dark and dramatic at times. A few at least got nominated, Four Weddings and a Funeral (94 - Lost to Forest Gump, but also up against Shawshank and Pulp Fiction) and As Good As It Gets (96 - lost to Titanic).

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jan 17, 2013 at 12:15:45 am

[Jeff Breuer] "There is really only Annie Hall (77), Shakespeare in Love (98) and The Artist (12) that could be considered comedies that won."

Thinking about the 70s in general, add The Sting in 73, and that's it. Maybe Driving Miss Daisy in 89. Pretty short list.

There are a couple of notable nominations, though, in the "maybe should have won" category. In 82, Tootsie beats Gandhi in my book.

My favorite movie of 78 was Heaven Can Wait, one of my favorites ever, but also a classic example of the "real movies = dark movies" at its best: Deerhunter (won), Coming Home, Midnight Express and An Unmarried Woman. Yikes!

(Also a reminder that Hollywood squandered its opportunity to hire Jill Clayburgh more often. Bastards.)

[Jeff Breuer] " I never saw Shakespeare because I never thought it looked very funny."

hey, that's why I never saw The Artist. LOL To be honest, I didn't even know it was a comedy.

I really liked Shakespeare. I was never one of the people who was outraged that it beat Private Ryan, because I thought it was genuinely a better movie. At least I enjoyed it more. Joseph Fiennes was dandy, but the gems are Geoffrey Rush and Judi Dench in supporting roles. (She won an Oscar, he shoulda.) Also terrific Oscar-winning screenplay from Tom Stoppard (of Rosencrantz and Guilderstein Are Dead fame; also co-wrote Brazil) and Marc Norman (whatevs, LOL).

For that matter, I have no problem with Rocky beating All The President's Men and Taxi Driver. Taxi Driver is an all-time favorite, easily a desert island movie for me, and I remember nearly fainting from the tension of ATPM in the theater...but I also remember watching Rocky and thinking, wow, I've never seen characters quite like this. An unusual, and exceptional, job of tweaking the traditional underdog palooka story. (Yes, this is what I actually said to myself.) The hero losing, and being all the more heroic for it? Amazing.

When you throw in Network as also a nominee that year, Rocky is the "not like the others" as a life affirming "boy meets girl" story. Actually, you could argue the same for Taxi Driver LOL...and I kind of do, even though it's two girls in two parallel stories.

Some other interesting comedy-ish nominations: Beauty and The Beast (Silence of the Lambs - oops), Chocolat (slaughtered by The Gladiator), Full Monty (sunk by Titanic), Juno (No Country for Old Men). Is Little Miss Sunshine a comedy? I can go either way, but nobody was beating The Departed. Yeah yeah, a late Oscar for Taxi Driver and Raging Bull...but deserved it, too.

Kylee pointed out that people are complaining that this year's slate tilts so heavily toward life affirming pictures....which I think is a hell of a thing to complain about. LOL

Return to posts index

Jeff Breuer
on Jan 18, 2013 at 4:25:08 pm

[Tim Wilson] "hey, that's why I never saw The Artist. LOL To be honest, I didn't even know it was a comedy."

Haha!

[Tim Wilson] "comedy-ish nominations: Beauty and The Beast (Silence of the Lambs - oops)"

Yea, Animations and Foreign Films will always get the short end of the stick at the Oscars too. If they win best in their category, that is usually enough for Oscar voters. I thought Up was a strong nomination too.

[Tim Wilson] "but the gems are Geoffrey Rush and Judi Dench in supporting roles. (She won an Oscar, he shoulda.)"

I forgot Rush was in this movie. Crap. Now I'm probably going to watch it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]