FORUMS: list search recent posts

2012 National Film Preservation Registry

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Breuer
2012 National Film Preservation Registry
on Jan 8, 2013 at 7:06:02 pm

This news is about a month old now, but we haven't discussed it. I love film history and think it is great that we have a National Film Preservation. The board elects 25 films every year that are "culturally, historically or aesthetically" significant. If you want to learn more about it there is a documentary on Netflix Streaming called These Amazing Shadows.

These films were accepted for 2012:

3:10 to Yuma (1957)
Anatomy of a Murder (1959)
The Augustas (1930s-1950s)
Born Yesterday (1950)
Breakfast at Tiffany’s (1961)
A Christmas Story (1983)
The Corbett-Fitzsimmons Title Fight (1897)
Dirty Harry (1971)
Hours for Jerome: Parts 1 and 2 (1980-82)
The Kidnappers Foil (1930s-1950s)
Kodachrome Color Motion Picture Tests (1922)
A League of Their Own (1992)
The Matrix (1999)
The Middleton Family at the New York World’s Fair (1939)
One Survivor Remembers (1995)
Parable (1964)
Samsara: Death and Rebirth in Cambodia (1990)
Slacker (1991)
Sons of the Desert (1933)
The Spook Who Sat by the Door (1973)
They Call It Pro Football (1966)
The Times of Harvey Milk (1984)
Two-Lane Blacktop (1971)
Uncle Tom's Cabin (1914)
The Wishing Ring; An Idyll of Old England (1914)

I love the scope of films chosen. Uncle Tom's Cabin (1914) is said to be the first feature length film with an African American lead and Kodachrome Color Motion Picture Tests (1922) are the first tests by Kodak for color film. Not an award winning film or a blockbuster, or even something that people particularly remember, but important. If you haven't seen it, you can see it here--

They also threw a Christmas Classic in there (A Christmas Story) a documentary on Football, They Call It Pro Football (1966) (certainly in remembrance of Steve Sabol of NFL Films who passed away this past year), and plenty of other classics you can see hear.

Any thoughts on the films that made it in or that should be added? I have already begun my list to submit for nominations (they will accept 50 from anybody during the year). Just remember the film must be at least 10 years old. You can see a list of the films currently in the registry HERE or a list of popular films still not accepted HERE.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
Re: 2012 National Film Preservation Registry
on Jan 8, 2013 at 11:50:57 pm

[Jeff Breuer] "f you want to learn more about it there is a documentary on Netflix Streaming called These Amazing Shadows."

The editor of These Amazing Shadows wrote about the movie's evolution and making for us, as well as the team's Sundance experience, in a nifty article you should definitely check out.

Still looking at the Registry's collection to see what they've missed. :-) I'm with you, though -- a project of admirable scope.

Also worth taking a look at the Library's National Recording Registry. It's a much smaller project, only 10 years old, but lots and lots of very interesting stuff -- Who's On First, Parliament's Mothership Connection, Neil Armstrong's first steps on the moon, Sonic Youth's Daydream Nation, Take Me Out To The Ballgame, an oral history by former slaves, and TWO Frank Zappa records vs. only one for Stevie Wonder....and Freewheelin' as the only Bob Dylan entry? WTF? Digging into it is a wonderful way to look like you're working. LOL

Tim Wilson
Vice President, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW

Return to posts index

Jeff Breuer
Re: 2012 National Film Preservation Registry
on Jan 10, 2013 at 2:59:12 pm

Thanks Tim! I will be checking these out.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]