FORUMS: list search recent posts

Your Favorites in 2012?

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kylee Peña
Your Favorites in 2012?
on Dec 21, 2012 at 2:59:39 pm

I lurk in this forum a lot, so I figured I should actually contribute. Why not start the silly end of the year roundup? I enjoy eavesdropping on your reactions and debate and hearing about titles I might have missed over the course of the year. I'm curious now: what were your favorites of the year?

My top film was Cloud Atlas. It's a weirdly divisive movie. If I'm recommending it to someone, it's not so much "you'll love this" as it is "eh, watch it and see what you think." I absolutely loved it for two completely different reasons:

1) Because of the way it made me feel about like, the universe an' junk.
2) Because someone actually had the ambition to DO it, and freakin' DID it.

There's plenty I could say about it, positively and negatively, but I just continue to want to enjoy the scrambled egg brain feeling. It was more of an experience than a straight-up film. If it were a rollercoaster, it'd be The Beast. Weirdly nostalgic, tosses you around so much you're never sure where you are for very long, and physically beats the crap out of you. The Hobbit would be the little alligator kiddie ride -- familiar, satisfying, but not a lot of mystery. The Master would be the the now defunct King Cobra at King's Island -- weirdly fun yet extremely uncomfortable, and repeatedly hits you in the groin. You want to ride again but you have no idea why.

Whoa, this got off the rails. Maybe I shouldn't post here.

And because I'm an editor, I'll say the editing on Cloud Atlas the bomb too. The transitions between story lines were good, but the structure of the thing itself was crazy.

The Master was my close second for tops in 2012. Apparently I love movies that have no real plot that physically abuse me? Speaking of which, I can't wait for To The Wonder...

So, your faves, tell them to me. What should I make an attempt to seek out and watch so I can make bad metaphors about them?

blog: kyleesportfolio.com/blog
twitter: @kyl33t
demo: kyleewall.com

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Your Favorites in 2012?
on Dec 21, 2012 at 3:24:09 pm

I'm slow seeing movies so my opinion is based on seeing a limited amount of films. However, I really loved Skyfall and The Avengers. Skyfall is probably my favorite Bond film. The action was great and it had some fun nuggets that paid homage to the old films, especially the end. I really liked the idea of an "old Bond" that needs to prove himself because not everything is going his way.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Dec 21, 2012 at 7:37:25 pm

My top 10 of the year SO FAR are below. I say "so far" with just over a week left in 2012 because I expect Django Unchained and Zero Dark Thirty to make the list by the end of the year once I see them. Maybe even take the top two spots if they're as awesome as they look.

10. Cloud Atlas
9. The Dark Knight Rises
8. Moonrise Kingdom
7. Wreck-It Ralph
6. Beasts of the Southern Wild
5. Looper
4. The Raid: Redemption
3. The Avengers
2. Silver Linings Playbook
1. Argo

Return to posts index

Kylee Peña
on Dec 21, 2012 at 8:48:06 pm

Oh right, I forgot to mention obviously we still have a week or so left with a couple of major releases. I don't think Les Mis will top out Cloud Atlas, but Django very well could. I lurve me some Tarantino. I never know what to expect from Kathryn Bigelow either. I didn't love Hurt Locker, but I'm hearing good things from Zero Dark Thirty.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Dec 24, 2012 at 12:06:20 pm

Seeing Argo tonight, so I may have to change my mind...or maybe just warning you that I'm looking for another excuse to post...but my favorite of the year so far is Silver Linings Playbook. Scott reviewed it well already, and I don't have anything to that by my rating of 10/10. Not only would I not change a goldurn thing, I think it's perfect in every way.

I was struck that this odd little thing was David O. Russell's directorial follow-up to The Fighter...although I guess as a study in off-kilter families, it makes sense....

I'll add one thing after all: this thing is on quite the awards run early in the season. AFI has already named it their Movie of the Year! Buncha film festival and critics awards already, 4 noms Golden Globes noms, 5 Independent Spirit, 10 for the Broadcast Film Critics, 4 SAG Awards, etc etc.

Oscar nod for Adapted Screenplay for Russell isn't even a bet. It's a slam dunk. Also a slam dunk: not crawling over Argo and Lincoln. (Sorry.) Given the mo I'm seeing in the noms so far, I'd also be surprised to not see Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Lawrence and DeNiro get nominated.

I'm crazy about The Hobbit - see also Kylee's extraordinary review here; one of the best we've ever run -- and I gotta tell you, for ear-to-ear grinning delight, I don't think anything will beat Twilight for me for a long time.

Django ("the D is silent") and Zero Dark Thirty will probably both be amazing, but I'm thinking not gonna make my Dec. 25 agenda. LOL That might have to be Monsters Inc in 3D...although Billy Crystal has become so annoying in the intervening years that I'm not sure I can stand his voice for 100 minutes....

Other than that, I'm a little surprised at how few movies are sticking with me. For all that I look at the slate and think "Wow, best year for movies in quite a while," I can't think of anything much past these coupla December releases (and Argo), I can't remember liking much.....

Tim Wilson
Vice President, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW

Return to posts index

Kylee Peña
on Dec 24, 2012 at 2:06:24 pm

You people continue to make it difficult for me to ignore Silver Linings Playbook, which I have no valid reason to scoff at AT ALL other than a self-involved desire to be correct on split judgements of movie trailers.

Not a whole lot of stuff truly sticking with me either, especially from the front half of the year. I'll tell ya my least favorite of 2012 -- Cabin in the Woods.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Dec 24, 2012 at 4:36:28 pm

I heartily endorse baseless snap judgments derived from trailers, and do everything I can to encourage them. If I have to decide to like a movie enough to go see it, I'm probably already too exhausted to actually enjoy it. LOL

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Dec 25, 2012 at 5:17:00 am

Okay, saw Argo, LOVED it. Surefire noms for best picture, best director, best adapted screenplay. I'm not sure about actor, only because Affleck played it very quiet, which rarely wins. Arkin could be nominated for supporting actor, but I like Cranston even better...

....but the movie as a whole suffered from having seen it the night after Silver Linings Playbook. If I'd seen this one first, I'd feel more strongly about it...but I'da still liked Silver Linings better. LOL

Tim Wilson
Creative COW

Return to posts index

Kylee Peña
on Dec 26, 2012 at 4:00:42 pm

I liked Argo a lot. While it was surprisingly captivating, I felt afterward like I'd seen it before, time and time again. But it's nice to have a film that hits your every expectation while also making you yell at the characters to RUN EEEK.

Updating this thread on Les Miserables. I liked it quite a lot. It's kind of weird as a movie sometimes, more because of the geography than the singing-instead-of-dialogue. The performances were fantastic though. The whole live singing on set thing worked out really well and actually gave us something new.

It's not the most gorgeous rendition of I Dreamed a Dream you'll find, but dayum, it's something else. And oddly, there were a LOT of little kids in the theater.

BUT it didn't unseat Cloud Atlas. Maybe Django Unchained will...

Return to posts index

Jonas Marsh
on Dec 27, 2012 at 2:21:49 am

I haven't seen as much as I'd wanted to but my top 5 would have to be:

5. Silver Linings Playbook
4. Avengers
3. Wreck-it-Ralph
2. Batman The Dark Knight Rises
1. Argo

I would have chosen the Dark Knight as my top pick since I am a big DC fan but I gotta give it to Argo. That movie was thrilling as hell. It kept me on the edge of my sit. That type of movie deserves to be on the top spot.

Life as we know it is full of surprises. Better to color your world with art.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Dec 28, 2012 at 4:53:57 pm

I've gotta put the 3D re-release of Monsters Inc on my list. I was floored.

And with apologies to all its lovers, I finally got around Dark Knight Rises -- cranked loud, rocking on the 65" screen....and I can't say I've seen a less entertaining movie all year. (Although I haven't seen Les Miz yet. LOL) Loves me some Anne Hathaway and Joe Gordon-Levitt (yeah, I call him Joe; we're just that tight), nice opening bit with the plane -- but wow, I kept screaming at the tv for it to end.

No insult intended (this time), but man, I just didn't feel this one AT ALL. I'm happy to be schooled, though. What did I miss while my eyes were glazing over?

Return to posts index

Kylee Peña
on Dec 30, 2012 at 11:49:44 pm

I'm with you on TDKR. I was mostly entertained enough when we watched it in the theater (but we did the full trilogy IN theater that day, so I was also in a coma halfway through). Everything about it was excellent...except the script.

I think it partially suffers from the wonder that is The Dark Knight, which is, to me anyway, basically a perfect movie of its genre. But even if you just have it try to stand on its own merit, the story is just a mess. And although JGL (yes, initialism because we're THAT tight) is both adorable and charismatic, he effectively serves no purpose to the plot. Other than the end. I'd like to watch it again and figure out what didn't work for me, but man, I don't wanna.

So I'd love to hear the opposite side of the argument FOR the story as well. I've only heard negative stuff in depth, I'd like some positive.

Adding in Django Unchained to this thread. Can't really say anything better than Scott Roberts' review above this thread. My thoughts exactly. I don't really know where to place it on my top 5, so I'm not going to. It's just up there at either 1 or 2. It's hard to compare Cloud Atlas to Django Unchained. They're at complete opposite ends of the effed up filmmaker spectrum.

But I WILL say I never expected that The Hobbit would fall so far down on my list. Honestly, I'd rather see Django 3 more times than The Hobbit again.

Return to posts index

Jeff Breuer
on Jan 2, 2013 at 3:42:21 pm

Great discussion. Like a lot of you I haven't caught up on a lot of the end of the year stuff yet. I also still need to catch up on a few things this past year like Beasts of the Southern Wild that I really want to see. Here is what comes to mind for me.

10. Blue Like Jazz
9. Titanic 3D
8. 21 Jump Street
7. Marley
6. The Avengers
5. Skyfall
4. Argo
3. Lincoln
2. The Intouchables
1. Moonrise Kingdom

Ted and The Bourne Legacy could have easily made the list too. Plus, like I said, countless films I have not seen yet.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jan 4, 2013 at 10:12:21 pm

Movies I liked without reservations:

1. Beasts of the Southern wild
2. Looking for Sugarman
3. Looper

Movies I liked, can't say they were great:

4. Cloud Atlas
5. Argo
6. Lincoln
7. The Hobbit

Movies with things that blow up that didn't embarrass me:

8. The Avengers
9. Skyfall
10. John Carter

Most disappointing movie of the year:

The Dark Knight Rises

Movies I still haven't caught up with that might make this list:

Silver Linings Playbook
Zero Dark Thirty

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jan 5, 2013 at 4:36:09 pm

Saw Silver Linings Playbook again last night -- now even more firmly ensconced as my #1.

However, I saw Looper the night before, and it shoots up to #2. What an amazing movie! There's a great line where Bruce Willis says in a diner, "I don't want to talk about time travel too much. We'll be here all day making diagrams with straws." Perfect.

I saw Looper on demand, on TV, and it's worth noting that a bunch of movies from even a little earlier in the year are already available on demand and on DVD to line up for awards season.

Tim Wilson
Creative COW

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jan 5, 2013 at 7:33:06 pm

I'm going to see Silver Linings Playbook tonite, I'll see what group it breaks into for me.

If you haven't seen "Looking for Sugarman" (and very few people have) it's an amazing documentary that can best be described as a "rock and roll mythical political mystery." Keep an eye out for it, I'm sure it'll be available on DVD soon. It'll put a smile on your face.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jan 5, 2013 at 8:34:18 pm

I haven't seen Waiting for Sugarman, but I'm looking forward to it. I'm a huge fan of Rodriguez, and highly recommend his music. He only made two records, and I think they're both fantastic. (The soundtrack to the movie is tasty of course, but I think it's a better value to just buy the two records.)

I was also familiar with his amazing story, and I'm really glad that someone documented it.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jan 7, 2013 at 3:32:12 pm

Just saw Silver Linings Playbook and loved it. With one more movie still to see (Zero Dark thirty) I will now revise my 2012 listings this way:

Movies I liked without reservations:

1. Beasts of the Southern Wild
2. Looking for Sugarman
3. Silver Linings Playbook
4. Looper
5. Argo (revised up on further reflection)

Movies I liked, had too many flaws to say they were great:

6. Cloud Atlas
7. Lincoln
8. The Hobbit

Movies with things that blow up that didn't embarrass me:

9. The Avengers
10. Skyfall
11. John Carter (falls out of my top ten)

Most disappointing movie of the year:

The Dark Knight Rises

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Kylee Peña
on Jan 6, 2013 at 1:25:34 am

Looper at #2? Reaaaallly.

This movie perplexes me. So many people love the crap out of it. Most people, I guess. Then there's the rest of us, but the crap that bothers us is surprisingly universal. So much so that it makes me wonder why more people don't think it.

But this thread was more about what was liked rather than why I think you shouldn't like it, so I suppose I won't get into why Looper wasn't that great.

Silver Linings Playbook is up next for me this week.

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Jan 6, 2013 at 4:08:27 am

OK, so I'm sitting here with J-Gord (only his BFFs get to call him that).
Regarding Dark Knight I was really excited to see it. Good action and a bit too much inaction. Saw it in IMAX and 2 other times. Seemed to be paying homage to the first two films more than it was an original thing. But I enjoyed it.

However Avengers was much more fun.

Enjoyed Sky fall and it too paid significant homage to previous Bond films.

I did not love Hobbit but I did think HFR 3D was effective.

Looped was reminiscent of 12 Monkeys (Bruce Willis and time travel). Good thing we rented this because I needed to repeat some scenes.

Fun but not awesome.

Abe Lincoln had a busy year. Vampire hunter fun but not awesome. Have not seen Lincoln yet but good to see Spielberg getting back to movies people actually want to see. For the record, Spielberg no longer takes my calls after my War of the Worlds review. Before that we were pretty tight. Now I'm lucky if I get a tweet.

Saw a whole bunch of red ox this year.

Speaking of J-Gord he wants me to mention Premium Rush. Cool concept with the Google Map motif and the other effects. Kind of predictable plot but a fun movie.

Remember this forum also covers TV. We like the Walking Dead, American Horror Story, Dexter and The Newsroom. Mad Men seems to be waning along with True Blood.

Kind of a mish mash here.

Happy 2013.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Jan 11, 2013 at 8:21:33 pm

I've now seen Zero Dark Thirty, and have seen Django Unchained twice. Here is my revised, FINAL top ten of 2012!

10. Moonrise Kingdom
9. Wreck-It Ralph
8. Beasts of the Southern Wild
7. Looper
6. The Raid: Redemption
5. The Avengers
4. Zero Dark Thirty
3. Silver Linings Playbook
2. Argo
1. Django Unchained

Return to posts index

Kylee Peña
on Jan 15, 2013 at 1:35:51 am

Ok, since all the cool kids are going it, I'm putting a stamp on my list. I think Beasts of the Southern Wild could re-arrange it a little whenever I find it. However, I decided not to seek out Zero Dark Thirty in theaters. I read how the film opens with audio on black, and I'm not cool with that. I won't say anything else about it in case it's a spoiler other than this: you can't have a heavily revisionist film that uses reality to emotional manipulate the audience. It's one way or the other. That's a cheap shot. Meh.

Anyway, my tops:

1. Django Unchained
2. Silver Linings Playbook
3. Cloud Atlas
4. The Master
5. Argo

Crazily, The Hobbit is knocked down the number 6.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]