FORUMS: list search recent posts

A Red Box Double Feature

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Cohen
A Red Box Double Feature
on Dec 17, 2012 at 5:12:45 pm

Neither of these two movies deserve their own thread. They are both quirky movies that are between genres with terrible endings.

Don't read further if you have any intention of seeing these.

Safety Not Guaranteed

Having seen this preview on numerous other DVDs over the past few months, it looked like an intriguing story: Reporters investigate a man posting an ad in the classified seeking a partner for time travel.

A few amusing situations, a government conspiracy sub-plot and some nice sci-fi undertones, with a modest romance thrown in make for light fare. The journey was the story. The ending in my opinion was about 10 seconds too long. See for yourself and let me know what you think.

In Scott Roberts language - a good mix of ingredients but one undercooked water chestnut at the bottom.

Seeking a Friend for the End of the World

Steve Carell playing every previous Steve Carell character, prepares for the end of the world along with an unlikely companion played by Keira Knightly. A somewhat comedic look at the week before armageddon was refreshing, but the movie gradually got more serious and shares the same problem as the above movie - it took things too far and was downright depressing. The message was obvious - someone to love is the most important thing in life, even when the end is coming - especially so.

In related news, Neil Degrasse Tyson says a stadium sized asteroid has a decent chance of hitting the Earth in 2036, but we will know for sure in 2029. So that gives everyone about 23 years to find true love.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
Re: A Red Box Double Feature
on Dec 17, 2012 at 6:18:32 pm

I just saw Seeking a Friend for the End of the World recently as well, I agree with what you said. I thought it was pretty funny in the first half, but then sort of went downhill as it got more serious. The first scene with the radio station was really great in my opinion, as was the overly friendly restaurant.

I am, however, kind of sick of mopey, depressed Steve Carrell. If you've seen that act once, you've seen it every time. And Kiera Knightly was overly quirky. Eh, it was an entertaining movie, but full of a decent chunk of flaws.

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Dec 22, 2012 at 3:55:47 am

Steve Carell is probably wishing he stayed with the Office for a couple more years.

Actually he has made some really good movies - Little Miss Sunshine, 40 year Old Virgin, Crazy Stupid Love, for example. However he basically plays Michael Scott in each movie.

He has also become a great animation actor - you can make good money doing voices for a CGI movie.

So if he has a clunker once in a while, so be it. Seeking a Friend had many enjoyable scenes - it just made you want to drink rat poison by the time the credits rolled. First time director, by the way.

As for Keira Knightly - she burst on the scene in Bend it Like Beckham (not counting Phantom Menace - nobody gets credit for being in that) and quickly got parts in lots of big movies obviously Pirates of the Caribbean 1 (good),2(great),3(yawn), King Arthur (blech), Domino(ok but seemed far fetched even if based upon a true story), a number of period films that nobody sees except Scott Roberts on date night, Love Actually(actually a nice pseudo holiday movie with basically every living British actor) and now she seems to be playing Jack Ryan's wife opposite Chris Pine in a Kenneth Branagh production of "Jack Ryan" - Keira Knightly is back.

So again, a clunker here and there between blockbusters - worked for many well known actors.

Mike

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Dec 22, 2012 at 5:49:57 pm

My favorite Steve Carrell movie is Dan In Real Life, whose greatest cinematic feat is giving us a plausible reason why Juliette Binoche would fall for him. I really loved it.

I missed that the Jack Ryan movie was happening. The most interesting credit on the list is Steve Zaillian, who did two of my very favorite screenplays of all time, Searching for Bobby Fischer and Moneyball (shoulda been nominated for an Oscar), and a couple of other decent things like Schindler's List (19 years ago!!! - won an Oscar for it), Gangs of New York (nominated), Awakenings (another Oscar nom), and lo and behold, a Jack Ryan movie! Clear & Present Danger, the one with Willem Dafoe.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jan 2, 2013 at 3:40:46 pm

[Tim]
My favorite Steve Carrell movie is Dan In Real Life

This corn is like an angel

[Tim]
The most interesting credit on the list is Steve Zaillian, who did two of my very favorite screenplays of all time, Searching for Bobby Fischer and Moneyball

I agree, I really enjoyed both of those films.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]