FORUMS: list search recent posts

Pacific Rim

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>

Stephen Smith
Re: Pacific Rim
on Dec 13, 2012 at 3:45:55 pm

Why can't they just shoot a bunch of missiles at Godzilla? Or have Matthew Broderick bore it to death? I guess that would make for a really short movie. All joking aside. This reminded me of a terrible film I watched on VHS as a kid called Robt Jox. Pacific Rim of course looks much better. Here is the trailer. I think you will enjoy the chainshaw :-)

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Dec 13, 2012 at 4:32:46 pm

[Stephen Smith] "Why can't they just shoot a bunch of missiles at Godzilla?"

Because this way, the Transformers have something to do.

Also a hint of the spirit of Independence Day (underestimating the human will to fight back, etc.), Iron Man (complete with glowing thing in the chest), and heaven help us, Real Steel (human-controlled robots).

Interesting-ish casst, with del Toro fave Ron Perlman, Idris Elba (most recently the pilot of the doomed Prometheus), and a ton of "those guys," as in "oh yeah, THAT guy," including one of my very very favorites, Clifton Collins Jr.

Not to disparage robots and Godzilla-esque monsters laying waste to human cities. Even if it's just San Francisco, I'm a fan.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Dec 13, 2012 at 7:28:09 pm

Yeah, I'm not really seeing anything that new, in terms of concepts/visuals, in this trailer. It looks like a hodgepodge of elements lifted from other action/sci-fi/special effects movies.

You know what could set it apart from the Battleships and the Transformers, though? If it doesn't have terrible dialogue and horrible acting. All of these special effects movies look great, there's no denying that. I mean, Battle: Los Angeles and John Carter had some great special effects... But they were all incredibly stupid movies with characters we didn't care about and that ended up diluting the cool special effects from the final overall product. Avatar, love it or hate it, actually had a functioning story; so it didn't seem like a crappy 3 hour display of neat visuals. District 9 - great visuals AND great story. That's why people still talk about District 9. How many people still talk about Skyline? You forgot Skyline even existed, didn't you?

What I'm gathering about Pacific Rim, based solely on this trailer, is that this is another crappy story with one-dimensional characters, that has freakin awesome special effects. Prove me wrong, Guillermo!

I'll probably be seeing this anyway, because as I noted earlier I pretty much go see every hunk of junk that comes into theaters, like Battle: Los Angeles. (but I didn't waste money on Battleship... hooray!)

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Dec 13, 2012 at 7:30:28 pm

Del Toro made it. That's enough for me to buy a ticket.

People my age grew up on imported kaiju monster movies from Japan (Battle of the Gargantuas is a personal fave of mine). To enjoy these you have to suspend not just disbelief, but science and engineering as well. But they are fun.This looks to be the most bad-ass entry of the genre ever.

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Dec 13, 2012 at 7:58:11 pm

I had heard nothing of this movie until this thread. District 9 did something to the effects industry to make spaceships and alien tech more realistic or organic looking. The brief snippet of a ship outside the Kent farm in the new Man of Steel trailer seems to have the same thing going for it.

Occasionally I see a trailer and say "must see on big screen, must see on big screen" then months later I see it on RedBox (small home screen) and say "should have seen on big screen" or more often "glad I did not waste money on seeing this on big screen."

This could be a "must see on big screen" selection, given the director.
IMDB tells us that the writer also wrote Clash of the Titans, which is bad news for the Pacific Rim script.

But it is monsters fighting giant robots with bits of technobabble and a few non-important personal stories thrown in. Knowing that the dialogue in these types of movies is generally unimportant, go for the ride.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Dec 13, 2012 at 10:23:21 pm

Mike, it's giant fricken robots fighting: don't over-think it. Just enjoy it.:-)

Had a kind of Evangelion feel to it, don't you think?

I could do without the gratuitous blatter of that brown-note "Inception" blast, however. Pac Rim seems like the worst offender, but there's more:

And why is the voice of GladOS from the Portal video games in this movie???

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Dec 13, 2012 at 10:27:16 pm

I actually really love that sound. I remember the first time I watch the Inception trailer and really love it.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Dec 13, 2012 at 10:50:46 pm

And I like a good joke, until it's been told for the twentieth time. I should count how many blasts in the pac rim trailer. I think this noise may have become the new Wilhelm Scream of the 21st century.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Dec 13, 2012 at 10:52:55 pm

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]