FORUMS: list search recent posts

Favorite Shorts

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Smith
Favorite Shorts
on Oct 19, 2009 at 6:13:00 pm

BMW created a series of short films from famous directors a few years back called The Hire. Out of the bunch my favorites are Star, Hostage and Ticker. I have watched them over and over and just think they are great, a matter of fact I think they are some of the best shorts ever.

The three Wallace and Gromit shorts are my other favorites. The train scene still blows my mind. What talent.

What are your favorite shorts?

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out the Graphics Demo Reel I did.

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Jake Williams
Re: Favorite Shorts
on Oct 20, 2009 at 3:25:09 pm

One of my favorite shorts is "Italian Spiderman". This short (now a series of shorts) is hilarious and well produced to look like it was made in the seventies on a very low budget. It was made by students at a film school as a senior project. It is available on youtube if you can find some time to laugh check it out. Disclaimer: Contains some raunchy humor. Enjoy.

Jake Williams

Return to posts index

Anthony Marzilli
on Oct 20, 2009 at 6:13:46 pm

I saw this short a few years ago in New York. I really love the ideas with this and the look. Might just be me but I was sucked in from the first time I saw this. http://www.bif-pictures.com/raymond.html

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Oct 20, 2009 at 10:29:05 pm

I adored the entire BMW "The Hire" series, but the Frankenheimer one (one of his final gigs before he passed) outrunning the van while carrying the diamond courier is my favorite, with Star, The Ang Lee little Buddah one and the kidnapped /submerged one also being strong faves. The Kidnapping one is a tour de force of production design and art direction in how they made up the kidnapper's hideout in such a way that it tells five pages of dialog in one or two three-second glances.

Turn on the director's commentary tracks for any of these shorts and you have the most brilliant five minute film making school ever. The tail one with Mickey Rourke and the race the devil one were my least favorites of the set, though my wife and I often still use the phrase "FACE IN THE HOLE!" from that Devil one when someone rings the doorbell.:-)

Clive Owen was perfect as the Driver. I felt it was his audition to be the next Bond.

For a time, you could only get these on a DVD from BMW, but now they are all over YouTube, thank goodness.

Changing gears....

A sentimental fave short for me is Mike Jittlov's "Wizard of Speed and Time" . I was just learning super-8 stop-mo at the time in Jr. high and it was quite an inspiration.

And I would kill for a combo DVD of "On a Froggy Night" to give my wife:

"Hello, my Baby! Hello, My Honey, Hello, My Rag-Time GAAALLLLL!" "Ev-RY bo-DY Does the Michigan RAAAAGGGG!

(Bworrrppp!")

Along with "The Hole Idea", a rare animation about the guy that invented the "portable hole".

Return to posts index

Jeremy Doyle
on Oct 22, 2009 at 2:20:15 am

The Devil one is actually my favorite. So fun.

Return to posts index

Colin King
on Oct 27, 2009 at 11:02:01 pm

There's a couple of recent Australian shorts that I was very taken with.

One was about a two people who each try and take a short cut down a narrow alley in the city, and end up trapped there by (unseen, but always heard) traffic rushing past the exit. As their imprisonment prolongs from hours to days to ... well, at least nine months ... we get to see their relationship develop.

Another was the animated short, "Cane Toad", which is a brilliant study in Australian language and idiom.

http://www.livevideo.com/video/974149D521504B5D95F0361B859F63CC/C.aspx

Return to posts index

Jeremy Doyle
on Oct 29, 2009 at 2:04:27 am

Ok, I just can't help myself. Since I have a short featured in the latest Cow newsletter I'm gonna say "Consensus".

Check it out right here on the cow in the video hosting section.

Return to posts index

Micah McDowell
on Nov 5, 2009 at 9:55:34 pm

I'm another huge fan of the BMW shorts... all excellent. Makes me wish more companies took an advertising direction like that, sure as heck made me want to buy a Bimmer.

A really impressive CG short I like is Big Buck Bunny. It was produced completely with free open source software by volunteers; kids love it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]