FORUMS: list search recent posts

"20 Best MPAA Ratings"

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Breuer
"20 Best MPAA Ratings"
on Nov 13, 2012 at 3:41:46 pm

I remember back when I worked at a movie theater seeing all of these odd, funny reasons the MPAA gave for rating movies the way they did. So when I saw this link posted on FilmmakerIQ, I was excited to read it. Here is a sample:

3 Ninjas Knuckle Up Rated PG-13 for non-stop ninja action.
Haha! I missed this sequel, but some how I doubt it. If I were the producer of this movie I would have used the rating to sell the movie, like it was a critic's review. "We have non-stop ninja action! But don't take our word for it, that is a direct quote from the MPAA!"

http://media.gunaxin.com/mpaa_ratings/45758

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
Re: "20 Best MPAA Ratings"
on Nov 13, 2012 at 4:49:24 pm

This is great! Thanks!

And always happy for an excuse to pimp "This Film Has Not Yet Been Rated," an amazing look inside the secret process, and secret people, behind movie ratings. Both funny and sad, but very interesting.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Nov 13, 2012 at 5:37:52 pm

"Rated R for graphic crude and sexual humor, violent images and strong language – all involving puppets."

Hahahaha. It's weird how the MPAA can be so seemingly intentional in their humor, yet so freakin serious about their system.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Nov 13, 2012 at 6:07:45 pm

Yeah, but did you see the movie? I'm genuinely surprised that they snuck through with an R, especially after how humiliated Valenti was by the South Park movie. He completely missed the 'Bigger, Longer, Uncut' joke at the time, and it truly galled him.

As much as I thought Team America was juvenile and wrong-headed (Helen Hunt? Susan Sarandon? Really?), I really did laugh hard, and some of the best parts are the parts that maybe shouldn't have been rated as low as R. LOL It took nine attempts to get through the ratings process (presumably involving actual re-edits, unlike many resubmissions), and of course all the cuts were for sex, none for violence. Nice record of the edits here.

Tim Wilson
Vice President, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Nov 14, 2012 at 4:05:32 pm

I own the unrated DVD of Team America, and the stuff they cut out of the puppet sex to get down to the theatrical R rated cut is both hilarious and disgusting. I also don't think it should have been cut out in the first place. The entire joke of the scene was how far the limits could be pushed. Without the... ahem... "bodily functions" from the unrated version, the scene is much less funny.

And since they're puppets, it's not like anyone would have really been that disgusted, would they? I mean, by the time you've gotten to that point in the film, you've probably already decided whether or not you're gonna keep watching, I assume? Or maybe it would have caused a lot of monocles to drop into the champagne glasses of the target demographic for the film. Assuming that demographic was easily offended old people.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]